Classical/Film Music/Instrumental Fans?

Hey everyone!
So a lot of people are posting about their pop and rock music favorites and such, and asking what people play, but I wanted to know if there are any other classical/film music/instrumental fans out there. I compose music of my own for film, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE classical music. I'm in my schools orchestra AND band AND choir...
Here are some of my favorites! Post yours as well and let's get all classical nerdy up in here!
  • Gavin Greenaway - Peaks of Endeavor, Olympic Flame, and MY ALL TIME FAVORITE: Reflections of Earth
  • Anything Hans Zimmer, namely Time from Inception.
  • Mahler Symphonies 2 and 6, movements 1 and 4
  • Tchaikovsky <3
  • Nimrod and Polonia by Edward Elgar
  • John Powell's score to How To Train Your Dragon 1 & 2
  • Hymn from Jupiter and The Lord of the Rings Symphony by Johan de Meij
  • And basically anything by the incredible Michael Giacchino! I had the honor of meeting and speaking with him once! True inspiration!
  • L'Oiseau de feu (10 points to first to tell me the common name of this piece.)
I look forward to your responses!

-Firebird

Classical Music For The Win!!
Hans Zimmer! omg yes. he is amazing! Tchaikovsky: very nice :D
John Powell (My favs by him are a Romantic Flight and Test Drive).
OMG YOU MET MICHAEL GIACCHINO!! so jealous. he did LOST! AND STAR TREK... AND UP omg. fan-girling so much right now. I JUST REALIZED HE ALSO DID LETTING GO FROM SUPER8... he is amazing.
i haven't heard of the other ones on your list, but definitely looking forward to listening to them all!

Favorites of mine:

Classical - Chopin. Hands down. He was an amazing composer and pianist. A freaking child prodigy when he was younger! And his 'madness' definitely shows in his compositions, and I absolutely love playing his songs on the piano! My favorites would have to be: Nocturne #20 in c#, Nocturne in Eb Op9 no 2, Nocturne Op48 No2, WALTZ OP64 No2 (my favorite to play atm)

Movie Composer - James Newton Howard. I could probably pick out a JNH piece within a few seconds of its playing. I don't really know how either because many of his pieces are very different from one another; but he is also very distinct in his style. I love the 'worldy' feel of his music and how he can make things flow so well while at the same time keeping the intensity when it is needed. My favorite by him would have to be the Dinosaur soundtrack.

Movie Composer (2) - John Williams. Not only did he compose for one of my favorite movies (Jurassic Park), but he also composed for ET, Schindlers List, and Jaws. This man is iconic. Who doesnt know the themes to Jaws and Jurassic Park? His ability to make you come away from a movie and remember his songs is just amazing

Anime/Movie Composer - Joe Hisaishi. Do I need to say more than his name? Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa: Castle in the Sky; the list goes on and on as he has done the music for (i think?) all of Studio Ghibli's movies. Those movies- although spectacular in themselves- would not be nearly as magical and incredible without this man.

Pianist - Yiruma (이루마). "River Flows in You" is a classic. "Kiss the Rain" is beautiful. "If I Could see You Again". "Love Me". All of his piano pieces are beautiful and have so much emotion in them

Not-Really-Classical-but-definitely-instrumental - Port Blue. This is Adam Young (Owl City)'s side project. All instrumental, peaceful, zen-ish kinda music. I love "Of Japan" and "An Enchanted Evening"

Anime Composer - Hiroyuki Sawano (澤野 弘之). Did the music for Attack on Titan. If you havent watched AoT/SnK you really should. its a great anime. His music is as epic as the show, but then he is able to make such soft songs for the times when the show is emotionally scaring. OST tracks you should check out: the epicness of "XL-TT", the emotion of "Omake-pfadlib", the complexity of "Everyday Life", the dynamic of "E.M.A.", the sadness & power of "Vogel im Kafig"; everything is so good on the OST that its difficult to only choose a few!

Cartoon Composer - Jeremy Zuckerman. Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra! The music from these two series is what always stood out for me! I love the Erhu and the other traditional Asian instruments used in the soundtrack.

Sorry for the superrr long post! ((If you couldn't tell I love classical music!))[DOUBLEPOST=1410024396][/DOUBLEPOST]Classical Music For The Win!!

Last edited: