College application advice?

Hello Vmk

So I sent off my applications to several schools,(all applying for a course in music production)
and 2 of them contacted me back. The first one, my dream school, Leeds Met University in Leeds, UK has sent me this:

To help us proceed please could you send me details of ALL your studies at the moment, e.g. any ACT or SATs you may be taking as well as your High School Diploma.

The courses you have applied for usually require an interview but as you are overseas we would be able to consider a portfolio of work you may have; this could include any youtube videos of performances. Please email me with any examples.

The thing is - I don't have my diploma yet (I'm getting that after graduation in a month or 2), I haven't taken my SAT or ACT, and to top it all off, I don't have a portfolio! I literally have nothing she is asking for and I have no idea what to tell her. I really want to get in so I feel like I should at least email her and let her know but I don't want to risk losing my chance at going to my dream school. I could spend a couple hours creating a portfolio but It wouldn't be of great quality and it most likely wont get me admitted.

Please help - she email'ed me this morning and I don't know what to say.

Ms_Special

I'm guessing this is a performance arts school?
My suggestion is to take the soonest possible act and see if you can get it quickly graded. idk if thats an option seeing as i havent thought about the act in at least 2 years.
If you are a performer, I'm sure there are videos of you performing. Upload them to youtube and send her the links.
If not, (this only applies if you are a dancer), make up a routine and quick and post a video of you fully dressed in an outfit and everything. something is better than nothing.
Also, maybe you can request a skype interview.
Explain to them your diploma situation. Schools can be understanding[DOUBLEPOST=1401335083][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe without a portfolio, if you are more of the directing type, get your music professor from school to write you a kick-****** reference letter.

did you apply with UCAS?
well i applied for 5 British unis, which is the maximum amount, and i already got all my answers and i picked my firm and my insurance choice
i got only conditional offers - so if i get a certain grade then i'm in, and if i'm not, then i'll go into clearing into any uni that could have a place for me! normally they don't expect you to have your diploma just yet.
in the UK you have to apply when you're a senior normally, with your SAT/ACT (which you take as a junior, i'm aware!) or any other exam to prove your qualifications and your "level"
you could always inform them that you have not graduated yet/have not got a high school diploma yet and will send them as soon as you do.
as for the portfolio, you're gonna need to get one asap! you can make one by simply searching how to create one and then make a pdf file of it and then send it!
hope this helped :D

did you apply with UCAS?
well i applied for 5 British unis, which is the maximum amount, and i already got all my answers and i picked my firm and my insurance choice
i got only conditional offers - so if i get a certain grade then i'm in, and if i'm not, then i'll go into clearing into any uni that could have a place for me! normally they don't expect you to have your diploma just yet.
in the UK you have to apply when you're a senior normally, with your SAT/ACT (which you take as a junior, i'm aware!) or any other exam to prove your qualifications and your "level"
you could always inform them that you have not graduated yet/have not got a high school diploma yet and will send them as soon as you do.
as for the portfolio, you're gonna need to get one asap! you can make one by simply searching how to create one and then make a pdf file of it and then send it!
hope this helped :D
I did apply with UCAS! :) I sent in the application last week and the school has contacted me through email - I ended up emailing the school back saying I would be willing to do a skype interview and told them I have not graduated from high school yet. Good luck! I hope you get accepted! <3
*crosses fingers for the both of us*

I did apply with UCAS! :) I sent in the application last week and the school has contacted me through email - I ended up emailing the school back saying I would be willing to do a skype interview and told them I have not graduated from high school yet. Good luck! I hope you get accepted! <3
*crosses fingers for the both of us*
ah UCAS is just so easy to use, it's a lovely application system! :)
when did you apply for? spring 2015?
and wow you got responses really quickly! normally it takes months! but maybe it's because you didn't apply for the same type of school as me :) medicine/performing arts/regular unis are all different and all 3 have different deadlines and whatever which gets terribly confusing :P
i think they'll reason with you, bc i had a similar problem - since i got conditional offers they wanted way more than my actual predicted grade and i was able to get the grade down so it would meet my actual predicted grade (if that makes sense?).
i hope you get in as wellllll! <3

supernovagirl

Well, I would take your ACTs/SATs if it's 100% necessary.

Also it's 100% alright to lie in your essays to make them more... interesting. Nothing big or anything, like you saved a wild elephant from a lion in Africa. I lied about saving some guy and calling the ambulance because he passed out by his car in my friend's neighborhood but that never even happened (and I got accepted to that school).

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
Sorry to be a debbie downer, but you are not getting in to any major university without SAT/ACT scores or any kind of portfolio. I suggest building a strong profile at a community college. They have thousands upon thousands of people that have portfolios, and GOOD sat/act scores, so therefore they will pick them over you.

Since you are going into music production, go out there into the world and start teaching yourself music production, play around in ableton, logic, fruity loops, anything.. Record yourself making music, make the music, make as much as you can. Learn to perform in front of people, get gigs in local bars, do karaoke at restaurants and bring your instrument there! Get exposure! I know for sure most smaller colleges have their own AV studios with music rooms to produce, and sing and record. Ask to use it during down times. Join a music club at your local college after you are in.

JUST REMEMBER, even though you are not getting in as a freshman, it doesn't mean you are less of a producer than anyone else your age. Just keep working hard and never give up. You will get told NO a lot, and when they tell you know, ask for advice on what to do and TAKE THE ADVICE. Build from what people tell you and keep trying.