Concerns about the new signature guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasmine

So in case others haven't noticed, the rules were updated again...
GIFs/Animated Images:
Animated, or GIF images, are only allowed to be included in discussion posts when put in
tags. You do not need to use
tags in Forum Games as long as they relate to the game and are not spam. Animated images that may induce migraines or seizures (i.e. rapidly flashing lights and colors) are prohibited for the safety of other members.
Yeah, so I got a PM about my signature and how some have complained about it. I totally understand that, and I do feel for them, however, this is what I don't understand:

Why are some gifs allowed and others not? Whether some are faster or brighter than others shouldn't matter. I'm glad that action is being taken, and member's complaints are being listened to, however it comes across as a double standard allowing some gifs and not allowing others.

What I'm basically worried about is what if someone complains about a gif/signature simply because they don't like someone? I'm not saying this will happen on this forum, though I have seen it done before. This can be a big problem.

In other words, favoritism is definitely going to be an issue with this rule.

This is what should be done:
A) Don't allow animated images in signatures at all (unless placed in a spoiler, of course).
or
B) Install the mod that I've already suggested before. Here is the link to it.

Yet again, I totally understand the complaints, but I just don't think it's fair, especially if there is another (and better) alternative. Honestly, B is going to be the better choice in the long run, anyway. The signature rule is extremely vague.

The mod I linked to basically allows members to choose to ignore certain members' signatures. That way, everyone is happy. I know in the past there have been some signatures I would have loved to ignore... So I can't see any reason not to install the mod.

I think this rule is a good addition... There are a couple of flashing signatures that did hurt my eyes, although I've never complained about them. It's up to staff to determine what complaints are biased and which aren't. Just like when someone reports a post you've made and staff have to determine whether it's objectionable or not.

However, I think implementing that mod would be a really good idea. I second that :D

Jasmine

I think it's too vague. I see nothing wrong with trying to protect others, however, if there are other alternatives, then those should definitely be looked into before such a decision is made. ;-)

Jasmine, this decision was the quickest and most direct option to deal with concerns as soon as possible. Applying mods and add-ons must be looked into; for example will they work with our version of vBulletin, etc.

So for now, this is the decision we made in order to accommodate concerns of our members that may affect their health.

Jasmine

Jasmine, this decision was the quickest and most direct option to deal with concerns as soon as possible. Applying mods and add-ons must be looked into; for example will they work with our version of vBulletin, etc.

So for now, this is the decision we made in order to accommodate concerns of our members that may affect their health.
Yes, read my reply to your PM....
I decided posting a thread was the easiest way to contact all the staff at once.

Also, I wouldn't link you all to a vBulletin mod if I didn't know for sure that it worked with 4.2.2, which is what this forum runs on. vBulletin's kind of a hobby of mine, so yeah...^_^

I basically figured you guys didn't know there were other options, hence why I'm showing you it... no biggie.

Jasmine

No, I think yours is okay... unless someone complains about it x_x.

The same goes for the sparkles in your text signature... I just hope people don't get petty and abuse the rule ):

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
Jasmine maybe you signature could have cause someone medical issues. When I saw it I was wow someone with seizure issues might have a problem with this. Or some people with eye issues could be affected. Also so fast moving pictures up close can cause some people migraines. I just looked at your spoiler which I assume is your signature? Those were my first thoughts. If someone did report to the admin. I would take they're health over a sign any day. It does move very very fast.

Jasmine

Jasmine maybe you signature could have cause someone medical issues. When I saw it I was wow someone with seizure issues might have a problem with this. Or some people with eye issues could be affected. Also so fast moving pictures up close can cause some people migraines. I just looked at your spoiler which I assume is your signature? Those were my first thoughts. If someone did report to the admin. I would take they're health over a sign any day. It does move very very fast.
Yes, I acknowledge that.
My point was to address the double standard that some gifs are allowed and some aren't, which I don't get. I've seen others with sparkling text signatures that bother my eyes, so I'm also wondering if those are included in this new rule as well.

Basically, I just need some clarification from an admin.
And I also wanted to suggest that they amend the rule, since it's way too vague.

Whispered

Jasmine, I have to say that there could be a medical issue if someone with epilepsy were to view your gif. However, I'm wondering if you'd be able to slow it down some, as it's quite fast (and i can't tell who's in it this fast anyway).

I do agree with the meta-argument in this post about the way the forums are moderated, however.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
My question would be do these signatures just bother your eyes or would they cause a migraine or seizure. There are lots that bother my eyes :) But I do not think would cause a seizure in anyone. I think that is where the line is.

Jasmine

Jasmine, I have to say that there could be a medical issue if someone with epilepsy were to view your gif. However, I'm wondering if you'd be able to slow it down some, as it's quite fast (and i can't tell who's in it this fast anyway).

I do agree with the meta-argument in this post about the way the forums are moderated, however.
My question would be do these signatures just bother your eyes or would they cause a migraine or seizure. There are lots that bother my eyes :) But I do not think would cause a seizure in anyone. I think that is where the line is.
See, that's not the point though. The point is, they should either all be allowed or they shouldn't be allowed at all. Yet again, like I said in my original post, I totally get the complaint... the thread's not even about that. It's about the double standard. As for the medical issue, that's not the point either. Some of the blinking texts actually did make my eyes burn and cause a slight headache earlier... Is it a migraine? Of course not, but it can still be considered a medical issue.

Plus, the rule says "Animated images that may induce migraines or seizures (i.e. rapidly flashing lights and colors) are prohibited for the safety of other members."

My point is that these blinking texts should be included in them, since they are "rapidly flashing colors". I've seen other forums ban all gifs because they all have a tendency to induce seizures, especially when some people have 2 or more of them (blinking texts, gifs, etc) in their signatures.

Technically speaking, any type of flashing image (no matter how fast or slow) could cause a seizure or migraine, which is why they should all be banned or other alternatives should be looked into. (The fact that the speed of gif doesn't matter is exactly why I mentioned how other forums just ban them all. At least that makes more sense.) Do you see what I mean?

I just want the rule to be fair for all. (As it stands now, it's not.) And if the rule is in place to hopefully prevent users from having migraines, headaches, and seizures in the future, then I truly don't see why this wasn't thought out more thoroughly. If you want to prevent these issues, just ban all gifs then. If you're going to implement a rule, at least be fair about it. That's all I ask. It's just the principle of the matter. I'm pretty big on being fair and justice and all that... I don't want to see all gifs banned, however, if they refuse to install the mod I linked to, then there really is no other option if they want to be fair. :/

So yet again, clarification from an admin would be great. Or if one would just download the mod I linked to, that would be great as well. Thanks.

this seems like a case of "if i can't have what i want, nobody can." glitter text and simple GIFs are not going to seriously affect someones health, while something like your signature may (or may not.) a kitty rolling around or a cartoon is not going to hurt anyone.. rapidly blinking, colorful or bright GIFs might.

Jasmine

*Just wanted to clarify that I'm specifically talking about animated/flashing images, and not all gifs in general. Sorry about that*
Sorry if it seems that way, but it honestly isn't. I'm just standing up for what I believe in. ^_^

It's actually a double standard. If you research (or know about) photosensitive epilepsy, you'll realize that there are tons of triggers. TVs, (fast or slow moving) images, fireworks, and even ceiling fans. It's quite serious. And believe it or not, a glitter text or a slower moving animated image can cause a seizure. It has happened before and it can (and probably will) happen again... I figured if they really want to prevent one from happening, that they would take all the precautions necessary. But maybe I was wrong? It's not about my signature. I had no problem putting it in a spoiler. It's just the fact that I believe the rule needs to be amended so that it's less vague. If you say that flashing images aren't allowed unless placed in a spoiler, then so be it. But please apply the rule to all flashing images or at least clarify what images the rule will be applied to (though ideally the former would be better).

Yet again, I really don't want all animated images banned, but I do think they should strive to be fair when deciding upon rules. (Or just download the ignore signatures mod...) I'm not sure why that seems to be so difficult to understand. :S However, I'm not going to try to convince others to take my stand on this issue though, because I'll just be beating a dead horse. Plus, I can't change anyone's opinion anyway. So there's no point in trying to do so. I'm most certainly not a petty person, and I definitely would not bring up this issue unless it was important to me. I don't really care if others disagree, because everyone's entitled to that opinion.

So I'm just going to wait until an admin finally decides to comment on this... :)

Jasmine, I have passed on your suggestions to the admins.

For now, please read this thread for reasons as to why we implemented this rule change.

Thank you for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.