Conservative Rebellion!

danimals

Designated Tax Lobbyist
It has recently come to my attention that we, members of a free society, are paying TAXES. Subject 1 traded 3000 credits and ended up paying 75 credits MORE.... I don't know about you guys but I wanna know where THESE taxes are going. I travelled far and wide and interviewed several citizens of MyVMK to see their opinions on these. One citizen claimed, "This is ridiculous! 75 credits wiped out MY bank account." [name removed] said, "I have already had difficulty staying afloat in this harsh economy and without this tax I would be a WHOLE lot more like [name removed]." Looking for answers, I searched high, in the Fantasyland in the Sky, and the low, Injun Joe's Cave. Here are some of the theories that have come to mind on where these credits are going:
  1. Direct deposit into [name removed]'s account.
  2. Restocking the NPCs, further stimulating the economy.
  3. Pay the ransom from Gator Waiter's kidnapping
  4. Used to fund the New Players
  5. Keeping the rides free
Now that I have established this issue, what can we, the Community, do to fix it? Spread the word! End taxes TODAY!!!! FREE THE KINGDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sign this petition to make a change: https://www.change.org/p/myvmk-ban-trading-tax?just_created=true
  • Make your first name your MyVMK username and your last name "MyVMK"

Last edited by a moderator:

Whispered

The tax is there to be a "credit sink" (money sink) - i.e. stop the value of credits from deflating. We've seen it already in that prices skyrocketed since MyVMK opened - this isn't because things are rarer, it's because there's just more credits to pay for the item (firewall, etc) with.

Imo, the tax should be raised, because the credit sink effect isn't strong enough right now to stop inflation, or even keep it manageable.

Whispered

I understand that taking 2.5% of the money traded SINKS! the value of credits an INSANE amount whispered. Nice opinion.
1. Could be a bit nicer with the comment, no need to be snide.

2. The fact that it's a credit sink is not an opinion. Credit sinks are a part of any online game (MMO) where currency is a factor in gameplay. See the Wikipedia article on the subject, especially where: when "commodities and wealth are continually fed to players through sources such as quests, looting monsters, or minigames". Also, on the subject of taxes specifically, "Passive gold sinks may be in operation at all times to slowly extract value from the game. Players are usually more willing to accept this method of sinking. Passive sinks would be item degradation, consistent taxes, or decay." Lastly, "excess currency leads to inflation of player driven prices".

It has a purpose, and it's not unique to this MMO. The reason credit trading was never implemented in the original VMK almost stems from this (and another closely related issue) - when you have an economy based upon a single item (ex. firewalls, credits), the game is extremely susceptible to inflation if either a) the item the economy is mainly based upon changes (ex. from a clock to a firewall economy, from a firewall to credit economy), or also if there is a continual influx of credits into the game.

Compare this to the issue of "money doesn't grow on trees" - the government printing more money in an attempt to allow more people to buy things. Printing more money without actually changing the intrinsic value of everything else involved in the economy (labor, supplies, etc.) just means that the dollars paid will have to increase (i.e. people want more money to work, and stores charge more money for items). This is evident in the fact that the first minimum wage in the USA was $0.25. 25 cents. 1 quarter. And that was enough, back then, to buy food for your family, as well as have a small amount of money for luxuries every week. Putting it in todays terms, solely counting for inflation and not the rise in the cost of living, that'd be worth $4.07. The cost of living back then (even inflation adjusted) was much lower than it is now. Generally, items back then cost 50% less than they do now. For example, adjusted for inflation, values are 2015/1938: Movie ticket, $7.84/$4.14, Gasoline, $3.24/$1.66, etc. Food staples also were generally only 50-80% as expensive as they are now (even after adjusting for inflation).

I know I got off on a tangent talking about minimum wage and the government printing money is inflation, but I hope it helps you see that printing money (or giving it for minigame plays) causes inflation, which is what a credit sink is designed to avoid.

-Whispered

danimals

Designated Tax Lobbyist
1. Could be a bit nicer with the comment, no need to be snide.

2. The fact that it's a credit sink is not an opinion. Credit sinks are a part of any online game (MMO) where currency is a factor in gameplay. See the Wikipedia article on the subject, especially where: when "commodities and wealth are continually fed to players through sources such as quests, looting monsters, or minigames". Also, on the subject of taxes specifically, "Passive gold sinks may be in operation at all times to slowly extract value from the game. Players are usually more willing to accept this method of sinking. Passive sinks would be item degradation, consistent taxes, or decay." Lastly, "excess currency leads to inflation of player driven prices".

It has a purpose, and it's not unique to this MMO. The reason credit trading was never implemented in the original VMK almost stems from this (and another closely related issue) - when you have an economy based upon a single item (ex. firewalls, credits), the game is extremely susceptible to inflation if either a) the item the economy is mainly based upon changes (ex. from a clock to a firewall economy, from a firewall to credit economy), or also if there is a continual influx of credits into the game.

Compare this to the issue of "money doesn't grow on trees" - the government printing more money in an attempt to allow more people to buy things. Printing more money without actually changing the intrinsic value of everything else involved in the economy (labor, supplies, etc.) just means that the dollars paid will have to increase (i.e. people want more money to work, and stores charge more money for items). This is evident in the fact that the first minimum wage in the USA was $0.25. 25 cents. 1 quarter. And that was enough, back then, to buy food for your family, as well as have a small amount of money for luxuries every week. Putting it in todays terms, solely counting for inflation and not the rise in the cost of living, that'd be worth $4.07. The cost of living back then (even inflation adjusted) was much lower than it is now. Generally, items back then cost 50% less than they do now. For example, adjusted for inflation, values are 2015/1938: Movie ticket, $7.84/$4.14, Gasoline, $3.24/$1.66, etc. Food staples also were generally only 50-80% as expensive as they are now (even after adjusting for inflation).

I know I got off on a tangent talking about minimum wage and the government printing money is inflation, but I hope it helps you see that printing money (or giving it for minigame plays) causes inflation, which is what a credit sink is designed to avoid.

-Whispered
Way to ruin the fun............

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

Bimbette

Your #1 Bimb
Okay, we are being taxed, but is there any representation? The American colonists once had a saying "no taxation without representation." Maybe a tax should be discussed between our Prime Minister (Amy), her Parliament (staff), and elected officials (aka me mainly) to discuss our issues with the taxation.