Cyberbullying

Flannel

Flannel/ Mack
I have pretty thick skin so I just take it with a grain of salt... However there are mean people who hide behind their computers. You just have to ignore the ignorance.

Myth

Sadly people find better ways to cope with their own problems by harassing others online because they won't get any physical consequences, and they can freely express their blunt opinions about others to their faces which they probably wouldn't do in real life.

Definitely see it everywhere, and even on MyVMK. Just wish people would find other outlets than creating more unnecessary drama, but people are immature and there's a clear range of individuals that play this (which is good!) but some people just don't know their boundaries.

All you should do is be a role model for others and hope that they'll be mature enough to follow your path. If not, you can always boot them :p

deviousdormouse

@Flannel @Myth Thank you guys!
@Kaeliah Unfortunately I've tried to report quite a few times but it always sends me to a crash report and out of the game.
I've tried emailing Grizzly about cyberbullying before but he says theres not much he can do if I don't have snapshots and theres a lot of chat logs. I'm always too shocked and upset to remember to take pictures.
I wouldn't be bugged so much if the bullying wasn't so bad and this hadn't happened before. I even remember a couple names of people who were mainly bullying.
I was being harassed. I was mocked and bullied and ganged up on and it was 6 on 1.
But I'd never even talked to them before. I just don't understand I guess.

Myth

@Kaeliah Unfortunately I've tried to report quite a few times but it always sends me to a crash report and out of the game.
I've tried emailing Grizzly about cyberbullying before but he says theres not much he can do if I don't have snapshots and theres a lot of chat logs. I'm always too shocked and upset to remember to take pictures.
I wouldn't be bugged so much if the bullying wasn't so bad and this hadn't happened before. I even remember a couple names of people who were mainly bullying.
I was being harassed. I was mocked and bullied and ganged up on and it was 6 on 1.
I can completely relate. I wish the chat logs in game could be moderated, but sadly they are not 99% of the time, and if you don't have a screenshot then there's no proof of it. At the same token, people can easily photoshop things to get others in trouble as well.
I see a lot of bullying in-game and as much as I wish I could make a difference, I feel like the staff's main priorities aren't with the social aspect as they're trying to complete the game and they don't have all the time in the world either.

deviousdormouse

I can completely relate. I wish the chat logs in game could be moderated, but sadly they are not 99% of the time, and if you don't have a screenshot then there's no proof of it. At the same token, people can easily photoshop things to get others in trouble as well.
I see a lot of bullying in-game and as much as I wish I could make a difference, I feel like the staff's main priorities aren't with the social aspect as they're trying to complete the game and they don't have all the time in the world either.
I completely understand how the chat logs are so long and the staff don't have all the time in the world but I wish something was done so I wouldn't feel so upset on this game. Don't get me wrong, I have fun playing but I don't exactly feel like being harassed either.
I feel the exact same way about the staff's priorities.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
I assume you play on a Mac. The CFH doesn't work on apple computers.
Staff can review chat logs, so I don't understand why Grizzly couldn't have looked into it. I suggest sending an e-mail to support@myvmk.com if you continue to get harassed. If you can include usernames, then staff should be able to find who was bullying you and help solve the problem occurring between you and them.

If you don't mind if I ask, were you saying anything to them? Bullies want to get a reaction from you; they usually want to intimidate those who are weaker than them, so show them that you are confident by walking away and not saying a word. You want them to know that you really don't care what they have to say.

deviousdormouse

I assume you play on a Mac. The CFH doesn't work on apple computers.
Staff can review chat logs, so I don't understand why Grizzly couldn't have looked into it. I suggest sending an e-mail to support@myvmk.com if you continue to get harassed. If you can include usernames, then staff should be able to find who was bullying you and help solve the problem occurring between you and them.

If you don't mind if I ask, were you saying anything to them? Bullies want to get a reaction from you; they usually want to intimidate those who are weaker than them, so show them that you are confident by walking away and not saying a word.
I do play on a Mac. Thats kind of ridiculous.
I have usernames but I honestly don't think anything is going to be done by the staff so I'm just not going to bother.
I never said a word the whole time until I finally asked at the end(when they had made sure I was completely out of the game) to just be booted and the owner (who was a friend of theirs. It was a whole group. I have the owners name too) didn't end up doing anything. Next time I'll be walking away but according to a friend of mine in the room, they kept on mocking me when I DC'd. So its not like they actually stopped even when I left.

Myth

I do play on a Mac. Thats kind of ridiculous.
I have usernames but I honestly don't think anything is going to be done by the staff so I'm just not going to bother.
I never said a word the whole time until I finally asked at the end(when they had made sure I was completely out of the game) to just be booted and the owner (who was a friend of theirs. It was a whole group. I have the owners name too) didn't end up doing anything. Next time I'll be walking away but according to a friend of mine in the room, they kept on mocking me when I DC'd. So its not like they actually stopped even when I left.
That's usually how it is.
I've been in rooms and been bullied by people for no reason so I quietly left and re-entered (behind a wall) to see them saying the most immature, disrespectful things about me. I couldn't even comprehend why people could be so impertinent to others they've never even met..
People need to realize that they have no idea where some of us come from -- you cannot see what is going on behind another player's computer screen. You don't know what people's lives are like outside of VMK and you can't just bully people endlessly. Some people come on VMK for the only stress relief they can possibly get because their lives are so incredibly difficult and heartbreaking that they just want to feel support and friendship and they get slammed in the face by some disrespectful trolls in a trade room for simply asking a genuine question.
I could go on, but people are going to bully regardless of whatever I say.

deviousdormouse

That's usually how it is.
I've been in rooms and been bullied by people for no reason so I quietly left and re-entered (behind a wall) to see them saying the most immature, disrespectful things about me. I couldn't even comprehend why people could be so impertinent to others they've never even met..
People need to realize that they have no idea where some of us come from -- you cannot see what is going on behind another player's computer screen. You don't know what people's lives are like outside of VMK and you can't just bully people endlessly. Some people come on VMK for the only stress relief they can possibly get because their lives are so incredibly difficult and heartbreaking that they just want to feel support and friendship and they get slammed in the face by some disrespectful trolls in a trade room for simply asking a genuine question.
I could go on, but people are going to bully regardless of whatever I say.
Thats my situation. I come on here for a break and I have a very stressful life at the moment. I already feel crappy and then I get bullied. It makes me wonder why I came on here.

Did I say that? I don't remember but that's definitely not the case. We log absolutely everything, from chat logs to trades. That being said, the game is large and the moderators can't be everywhere at once. If you see something inappropriate or against the rules, please report it ASAP and it will be taken care of immediately. It helps us a great deal when you report something - please don't be afraid to do it.

That being said, sending CFH reports has been fixed on Macs for quite some time. There's a small bug where certain macs crash after sending the message - but we still receive the report so don't let that stop you from sending one.

SandCastle

I've been fortunate to not be bullied on this game yet, But I played a game when the original vmk closed called smallworlds and it was drama city. Alot of people were cyberbullying everyone, there were also "cliques" I left the game in 2011

deviousdormouse

Did I say that? I don't remember but that's definitely not the case. We log absolutely everything, from chat logs to trades. That being said, the game is large and the moderators can't be everywhere at once. If you see something inappropriate or against the rules, please report it ASAP and it will be taken care of immediately. It helps us a great deal when you report something - please don't be afraid to do it.

That being said, sending CFH reports has been fixed on Macs for quite some time. There's a small bug where certain macs crash after sending the message - but we still receive the report so don't let that stop you from sending one.
@Grizzly I did email you and we talked and you told me it'd be easier if I had snapshots as there are so many chat logs that it would definitely take a while. My mac always crashes but I'm going to assume the CFHs are still being sent? And I did send a CFH when it happened anyway so you guys should have gotten one if it worked.

Last edited:

aceastrofan

The one and only...
People are just jerks. They obviously think of themselves as fictitiously "cool" because they're unified in a solid group. These kind of people make the game less enjoyable for everyone due in part to their crummy tactics of abuse. Yes people, this game has changed as a result of everyone getting older. No people, cyberbullying is not "cool" in any way. Cyberbullying should never have been introduced to this game ever. I'm sorry that some people tried ruining the game for you. That really sucks. You can't quit and let them win; stay in the game to show them how powerful you really are. Sorry if this seems kinda ranty, what happened to you really stinks.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
It doesn't happen to me unless I'm in the YouTube comments section, which is full of hateful disturbing people that probably live in another persons' backyard... So it doesn't bother me LOL! But if you are just remember that you are better than them just by that fact alone that you aren't someone that spreads hate to random people on the internet for no reason. Only losers do this ********.

Gandalf

ya'll ruined this game
I really wonder how the people that target me got personal information about me, and then use against me in-game. Reporting hasn't helped me at all.

Gandalf

ya'll ruined this game
Theres really not much for us to do but to try to ignore them or just press the ignore button itself.

It's just difficult because it takes away my fun in game. I can't go to guestrooms without it happening, or being booted for no reason at all. So I have to avoid those rooms? I shouldn't have to change my in-game name either.

deviousdormouse

It's just difficult because it takes away my fun in game. I can't go to guestrooms without it happening, or being booted for no reason at all. So I have to avoid those rooms? I shouldn't have to change my in-game name either.[DOUBLEPOST=1404199179][/DOUBLEPOST]

It's just difficult because it takes away my fun in game. I can't go to guestrooms without it happening, or being booted for no reason at all. So I have to avoid those rooms? I shouldn't have to change my in-game name either.
Yeah I getcha >__<

Jaycie

The Keyblade Master
Honestly, I think it's really sad that we still have this as a problem. Like the fact that we all come on here to talk to our friends and have fun and are getting attacked by people who are very likely in college or in the real world. Honestly, though, you're clearly the better person and shouldn't let it get to you. Worst case, just get off the internet for a few days or something, but don't let it bug you. Some people just really really are terrible :)