Death with Dignity

LooseSeal

What do you guys think of death with dignity? Or, as some people refer to it, "physician-assisted suicide". It is currently legal in (I believe) Oregon, Washington, and Vermont. Personally, I support death with dignity laws - I do not believe that a person should have to go through unnecessary pain and suffering when they have a terminal illness, and palliative/hospice care only does so much. The documentary "How to Die in Oregon" is an extremely powerful look at this issue (although admittedly biased) and is currently streaming on Netflix is you would like to check it out- I highly recommend it.

Interesting

I don't wholeheartedly support it as loved ones may be hurt by the premature brain death of a loved one by choice however if that's the loved one's wish and the physician is entirely aware of the patient's degenerative condition with patient careful consent for brain death, it's the patient's choice. I wouldn't judge or think more or less of a person, it's how they lived their life and who they are is what makes them dignified. However for the sake of loved ones, I would hope a patient decides that he or she has more of a reason to fight to live despite suffering.

However it seems contradictory that a physician who is supposed to support good health is helping a patient end his or her life instead. Seems quite unethical for the physician. On the other hand, it's quite depressing for elderly in hospices who often have no one or nothing to live for, most of which have Alzheimer's (one of the leading causes of death in elderly). Although kind of difficult to discern whether an elderly is in the right mental state for a death request because the decision is finite. Tough for me to take a definitive stance on this, a direct support/not support.

karkat

someone should be able to do whatever they want wth their life tbh
and like if they want to go in peace instead of kicking and screaming that should be their choice

allison

and like if they want to go in peace instead of kicking and screaming that should be their choice

Do you apply that logic to unassisted suicide also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you apply that logic to unassisted suicide also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah if someone wants to kill themselves they can like its their life
man karkat i dont even need to post anymore, i can just quote you.

kalyee

I'm all for it. I'm really glad that Oregon - my lovely home state - supports peoples right to choose to do with themselves as they see fit.
To say that it's selfish to decide to end your life when you have a horrible illness just because your loved ones will suffer is... well... incredibly selfish. They're going through a lot more pain than you'll go through with their passing - which is often inevitable - and forcing someone to be subjected to the painful, agonizing, and often incredibly embarrassing symptoms of a lot of these illnesses is just awful.

I totally agree with Karkat - it's their life, and it should be their choice how long they participate in it and how.

I'm all for it. I'm really glad that Oregon - my lovely home state - supports peoples right to choose to do with themselves as they see fit.
To say that it's selfish to decide to end your life when you have a horrible illness just because your loved ones will suffer is... well... incredibly selfish. They're going through a lot more pain than you'll go through with their passing - which is often inevitable - and forcing someone to be subjected to the painful, agonizing, and often incredibly embarrassing symptoms of a lot of these illnesses is just awful.

I totally agree with Karkat - it's their life, and it should be their choice how long they participate in it and how.
On the other hand, it wouldn't necessarily be selfish for family, friends, loved ones to support the possibility of better health and vitality that their loved one may receive if they hung on a little longer than choosing to cut their life short before seeing treatment is working or that they are much more mentally stronger than their physical/physiological problems than they actually think at the moment of deciding brain death. It's like they've may have progressed so far despite suffering to not see the light that things are getting better. Seeing it from loved ones' perspective say kids of a parent with type 2 diabetes, diabetes has many health implications that make can life unbearable from poor blood circulation, etc. However many live with diabetes despite their ailments to see their kids grow up in a good environment, support family and friends, continue to pursue life aspirations like earn a master's degree and travel. Loved ones truly who love someone aren't thinking for themself but for the loved one suffering maybe just now who will be cured or better or learn to live with a not terminal illness/disability because there's other success stories that show it's possible and their own life they can create anew despite their not totally degenerative health condition. That there is still life past, through personal suffering due or not due to health conditions that are not totally degenerative or at least yet. I understand if it's time to go it's time to go, but people whose time it's not to go can still be and not make the illness/disability hinder them more than it just does.

I understand a patient's choice thought long and carefully if rational about opting for brain death if their are very low hopes of survivable and persistent debilitating suffering that's just getting worse, but it can also be considered selfish to just let someone kill his or her self if there is very high hopes of survival and overcoming personal health conditions. I just don't see killing yourself as a necessary priority as a patient or regular person. All in all suicide is truly a person's choice. Sometimes "suffering" isn't necessarily something to take on at face value but something inevitable and to take in stride and overcome honestly with all strength and support had if possible. I just don't see suicide assisted or not always acceptable, due to the possibility and usually there is if chosen to lead and live a better life regardless of a certain illness or disability. Then loved ones have a reason to help their suffering loved one keep realizing that for his or her own sake to not give up all hope.

It can be seen as selfish, to choose to die or not die or for loved ones to let a loved one die or not die. In the end, it depends on the circumstance and likelihood of survivabilty, ability to maintain health despite conditions, and will of the patient. Not all cases do patients need to immediately opt for death, where it may just be a downswing of their condition. Death is finite and can't be reversed once chosen. I'd say only when one is definitely going to die soon, and/or immobile, constantly mentally physically suffering on all levels that he or she can't handle then the choice for brain death is totally acceptable whether we like it or not. If mobile, not as constantly mentally physically pained on all levels, able to survive, overcome, or be cured and willed to be better, an illness that can be toughed out, why not make the most of life despite it because things can be worse.

I don't know I sympathize for both sides, really but I support life overall.

kalyee

On the other hand, it wouldn't necessarily be selfish for family, friends, loved ones to support the possibility of better health and vitality that their loved one may receive if they hung on a little longer than choosing to cut their life short before seeing treatment is working or that they are much more mentally stronger than their physical/physiological problems than they actually think at the moment of deciding brain death. It's like they've may have progressed so far despite suffering to not see the light that things are getting better. Seeing it from loved ones' perspective say kids of a parent with type 2 diabetes, diabetes has many health implications that make can life unbearable from poor blood circulation, etc. However many live with diabetes despite their ailments to see their kids grow up in a good environment, support family and friends, continue to pursue life aspirations like earn a master's degree and travel. Loved ones truly who love someone aren't thinking for themself but for the loved one suffering maybe just now who will be cured or better or learn to live with a not terminal illness/disability because there's other success stories that show it's possible and their own life they can create anew despite their not totally degenerative health condition. That there is still life past, through personal suffering due or not due to health conditions that are not totally degenerative or at least yet. I understand if it's time to go it's time to go, but people whose time it's not to go can still be and not make the illness/disability hinder them more than it just does.

I understand a patient's choice thought long and carefully if rational about opting for brain death if their are very low hopes of survivable and persistent debilitating suffering that's just getting worse, but it can also be considered selfish to just let someone kill his or her self if there is very high hopes of survival and overcoming personal health conditions. I just don't see killing yourself as a necessary priority as a patient or regular person. All in all suicide is truly a person's choice. Sometimes "suffering" isn't necessarily something to take on at face value but something inevitable and to take in stride and overcome honestly with all strength and support had if possible. I just don't see suicide assisted or not always acceptable, due to the possibility and usually there is if chosen to lead and live a better life regardless of a certain illness or disability. Then loved ones have a reason to help their suffering loved one keep realizing that for his or her own sake to not give up all hope.

It can be seen as selfish, to choose to die or not die or for loved ones to let a loved one die or not die. In the end, it depends on the circumstance and likelihood of survivabilty, ability to maintain health despite conditions, and will of the patient. Not all cases do patients need to immediately opt for death, where it may just be a downswing of their condition. Death is finite and can't be reversed once chosen. I'd say only when one is definitely going to die soon, and/or immobile, constantly mentally physically suffering on all levels that he or she can't handle then the choice for brain death is totally acceptable whether we like it or not. If mobile, not as constantly mentally physically pained on all levels, able to survive, overcome, or be cured and willed to be better, an illness that can be toughed out, why not make the most of life despite it because things can be worse.

I don't know I sympathize for both sides, really but I support life overall.
A lot of "judgement" as to whether or not it's selfish depends on the situation, but honestly I don't think suicide is selfish at all, regardless of it's a death with dignity type situation or not. It is your life, and yours alone to do with what you want. If an ending of your choice is what you desire, you should feel free to go about that without people drowning you in guilt in an attempt to get you stay. Anyone asking you to make a choice other than the one you are content and happy with in regards to your life can be considered selfish - as they are asking you to live for them, and go against your own choices/whims/desires.
It's easy to say that suicide is selfish because it's an act one does for oneself without regard to those who may mourn, but I don't see anything wrong with being "selfish" - if being selfish is defined as living life for yourself.

A lot of people seem to always try and argue this with me, and my mind is just not going to change on this topic. I've had loved ones commit suicide, and I don't view what they did as selfish - even though their acts left me with a lot of heartache. Everyone is entitled to do with their lives as they please, and aside from trying to give someone the necessary tools to seek professional help - if they want it and are ready and willing to accept it - trying to change their mind for your own benefit isn't right either.