Disney College Program Help!

Jorash

Hey guys! So I just applied to the Disney College Program last week and I have my phone interview a week from today. I graduate college in May and being a HR Generalist for Disney is my dream job, so getting into this program is an important step to reaching that goal. For anyone who has done the program or has had a phone interview with them, what are some tips that you can give me? The main areas I want to apply for are merchandise, character attendant, attractions, and potentially monorail or front desk. I would love to get a job inside the park as well. Any advice/tips you guys can give me would be amazing! I have had interviews for jobs before but I've never been as nervous as I am for this since I really want this internship!

I had my phone interview yesterday!! I had a mock interview with one of my college program friends and they gave me really good tips for the interview.

1. SMILE (this is the most important tip your interviewer can tell if you're smiling because it radiates through your voice they can tell you sound happy)
2. Be over the top but not way to over the top you have to be perky enough to be considered Disney material and try to use words like magic and pixie dust and guests etc
3. be articulate in your answers and they are going to try to throw you off with situational questions since you're going for merchandise they are going to probably ask you a question like this for example "a customer is looking for an item in your location but you don't have it in stock what would you do?" or for attractions "if a kid was to short to go an attraction what would you say to them"? so just be prepared for stuff like that

good luck on your interview!!! character attendant is also one of my top roles but I'm mainly interested in attractions and pirate league also character performer

Tohrukun

I had my phone interview yesterday!! I had a mock interview with one of my college program friends and they gave me really good tips for the interview.

1. SMILE (this is the most important tip your interviewer can tell if you're smiling because it radiates through your voice they can tell you sound happy)
2. Be over the top but not way to over the top you have to be perky enough to be considered Disney material and try to use words like magic and pixie dust and guests etc
3. be articulate in your answers and they are going to try to throw you off with situational questions since you're going for merchandise they are going to probably ask you a question like this for example "a customer is looking for an item in your location but you don't have it in stock what would you do?" or for attractions "if a kid was to short to go an attraction what would you say to them"? so just be prepared for stuff like that

good luck on your interview!!! character attendant is also one of my top roles but I'm mainly interested in attractions and pirate league also character performer
GOOD LUCK BB

Jorash

Thank you for the tips! And good luck, I hope you get in! Did you apply for fall or fall advantage?

karkat

yo i just ended a college program - i did fall advantage as a costumer at festival of the lion king, which was totally an awesome role.
as far as phone interviews go, in my experience the interviewer has your best interests in mind and will try to push you in the right direction. just be really kinda, remember the interviewers name, thank them for their time. also it's probably best to have a question at the end, because it shows a high level of interest in the position.
keep your mind open to costuming, i had a lot of fun in the entertainment department and i met a whole bunch of really cool people.
its only been two weeks since i left disney, and i really sort of miss it.
best of luck to you!!

@Jorash & @jafart I wish you both luck in your journey to get in! Just be honest, smile, and prove to the interviewer how you can help make things more magical! Don't overuse the word "magical" but use it just enough! Many Disney leads and interviewers are always looking for the word magical! Again good luck and be sure to keep me posted how you both do! :)

Jorash

Thank you everyone for your input, advice, and help! I am super excited to interview but I hate that I have to wait until next Tuesday!

Alliyah

of I'm so attached to my at home life Is the program really for me? I want to get out and try it but what if I get depressed down their missing my family? Any suggestions?

Jorash

@Alliyah one of the first questions my interviewer asked me when I had my phone interview was have you ever lived away from home and how do you feel about it. Since I have never done the program before I don't know from experience, but it seems like for the people who did do the program, their roommates were a great support group for them and made it easier to be away from home. I'm pretty attached to home too (I go to school only an hour and 15 minutes away from home), but I am very excited to do something new. And if you get depressed and sad being away from family, just know that there will be a lot of people in your shoes that will understand what you are going through, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people to talk to. Definitely do what is best for you though, it can be hard but I'm sure it would be a good experience :)