Disney College Program Questions!

Jorash

Hey everyone! I am currently a Junior in college, and although it is not possible for me to take time off for a semester to apply for this program (since I just switched concentrations within my major, so it's definitely crunch time to graduate on time) I am planning on applying in my Senior year for the fall semester after I graduate. I have spoken to a few people who did the program and became full-time cast members when their program ended, but they all worked in recreation. I am really interested in both the operations and retail roles at Disney.

For anyone who has done the program, I would really love to hear your feedback about your experiences while you were there!:) I'd love to hear about the different roles/jobs that you have held, the hours you worked, the apartment you lived in and what it was like (From what I was told there are 3 right now?), and anything else that can help me get a better idea of what I should expect if I can get into this program!:)

Jorash

Bump, looking for input pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

Elias

Suitcase and a Dream
Are you not able to attend the program during your summer break?

Jorash

I looked into that, unfortunately the only people that program is available for are returning students who did a fall or spring session

My best friend worked retail in animal kingdom Dinoland. And from everyone I spoke I the program is what you make of it. You living is taken out of your pay so you get paid more but don't worry about your housing.
The cool thing that my best friend told me is that with working retail (and I'm sure it's the same with the other jobs) he could always pick up others shifts in other parks that had to do with retail. He loved it cuz he got to wear the different costumes and experience the work atmosphere in different parts of the parks. He shared with us how they close and do all clears. It's pretty cool.
Plus he asked to be a pin trader, and we're both hardcore pin traders, he said it made the days go by faster and he enjoyed talked with other traders.
The work is a full time job with hard hours. That's why this program isn't for everyone. But as far as I've seen if u love Disney and love working. This is totally for you!

Jorash

My best friend worked retail in animal kingdom Dinoland. And from everyone I spoke I the program is what you make of it. You living is taken out of your pay so you get paid more but don't worry about your housing.
The cool thing that my best friend told me is that with working retail (and I'm sure it's the same with the other jobs) he could always pick up others shifts in other parks that had to do with retail. He loved it cuz he got to wear the different costumes and experience the work atmosphere in different parts of the parks. He shared with us how they close and do all clears. It's pretty cool.
Plus he asked to be a pin trader, and we're both hardcore pin traders, he said it made the days go by faster and he enjoyed talked with other traders.
The work is a full time job with hard hours. That's why this program isn't for everyone. But as far as I've seen if u love Disney and love working. This is totally for you!
Thank you so much for this input! Retail or Operations are definitely my top two choices, so hearing about someones experience in retail is definitely helpful!

Annie

Item Hoarder <3
I was accepted for Main Entrance Operations for Fall Advantage for 2014. I had to decline last minute due to financial issues. Some of the things you might want to do before applying is this:

*Join a Facebook page closer to applying to meet some of the people. *
They will all be in the same boat as you, and even some alumni join to help people out. (usually they are listed as Disney College Program Fall/Fall Advantage 2015 or something like that). This is also where you could meet potential or future friends and roommates.

*Learn about the roles. *
This includes looking on the disney website to see what the roles are and learning a little about what it involves. I even watched some of the youtube videos on what you could be doing with the roles.

* Save, Save, Save! *
If you are accepted, you will have to pay a $300 housing fee about 10 days after you get accepted. Not only that, but you will have to have some money to take with you to pay for the first few weeks of living there. (Your rent is usually around $100 a week and you dont get paid till about 1-2 weeks after you start work). And more importantly, save money so you dont have to decline last minute because you cant afford it like me. I would try to save around $1,000 if you can to be safe.

* Watch Youtube videos! *
Get pumped!!! There is a girl on youtube that has some of the best videos ever about the DCP. (I think its KelseyGoesToDisney or something like that). Another reason to watch the videos is to learn about how applying works.

* Phone a friend! *

Now this one is a little silly, but it helped me so so so much when I applied. If you get past the Web Based Interview (Which is a series of timed questions that basically wanted to make sure you really do want this job) Youll then have a telephone interview. Now, before I applied the first time, I googled all sorts of questions they could ask me about the roles I had High Interest in, that way i could think about them and not say ummm uhhhhh hmmm etc. After I thought about the questions, I had my friend (Who also was applying) Call me and we did a mock interview for each other. Then we scored each other and wrote down what needed to be worked on. I Highly recommend doing this. It eases your thoughts and prepares you for what it may be like.

What year and semester were you wanted to apply?
I am hoping to apply for the Fall 2015 Semester. :)

Let me know if you need to know anything else!

Once_Upon_A_Time

♥Disneyland Addict♥
I would like to do the Disney College Program Also!! I am a freshman in college right now but i was thinking about doing the program fall semester or spring semester of my sophomore year! I would love to Work in one of the hotels as a Front desk person as my Major is Hospitality with a focus in event management. Since i have a place to stay that is 20 minutes from disneyland i will probably not be living in the dorms. But I'm very excited about this Program and look forward to possibly doing it. :)

BABE! Okay, it's going to take me a minute to give you anything that is helpful, but in the meantime let me have a minor freak out about the College Program! aifhisodhgoshosgdjoi.

I LOVED it. I have been dreaming about working for Disney since I was a kid. I think that around the same time that I was playing the original release of VMK, I was also compiling "travel guides" with family vacation pictures and tips for what times to eat and ride certain rides. Let me just say, it has always been my dream. When I went to college, it was actually purely to be able to participate in the Disney College Program.'

I'm going to scroll back up and see what your question actually was to begin with, but I'll answer it ASAP. I just got done spending my summer (had to self-term before the fall semester due to unforeseen school/scholarship problems) working in Animal Kingdom on the College Program, Quick Service Food and Beverage - Outdoor Vending. I had the time of my life and will probably start crying tears of joy while typing this.[DOUBLEPOST=1420938590][/DOUBLEPOST]I worked Outdoor Vending (Food Vending) at Animal Kingdom, so comparatively my hours were incredible. Unlike my roommates who had horror stories about extending and late night shifts, I was only forced to extend once (8AM - 9PM instead of my scheduled 6/7 hour shift) and that wasn't even too bad.

Honestly, attitude is everything. Because it was my dream to go there, I always saw the best in things. I know other people who were miserable, or didn't like their jobs, but loved the vibe of living in a neighborhood full of college kids. Those are just a few people that slipped through the cracks though. Most of the people I surrounded myself with were optimistic... a few were their on their second program, and even chose to extend. Disney is really a lifestyle that you become attached to--it's so hard to leave and come back to a world where people aren't as nice and outgoing.

That is one thing that I get all worked up about. I will go on for days and days about how nice the people at Disney are. I don't know if Disney is just the best when it comes to picking the right people, or if their training works magic, but there is not a single person that I met in my workplace that would not go out of their way to help me if I needed it. The people there are so genuinely nice, on stage and off, that it just makes you feel like you are in the best place you could be. I don't know anything that compares to the feeling of being surrounded by people like that.

Housing. I believe I signed some kind of contract to only say nice things about Disney. Because of that, we will not be talking about Vista Way. I stayed in Chatham and it was lovely. Patterson was also nice, from what I heard, but they don't have their own bus stop. They have to walk out of their neighborhood and cross the street to get to Chatham. Basically, Chatham is best. Ummm... I think that the Commons is open for more than just international students now, but I didn't hear much about it one way or another. They're the closest you can get to the mall, which can be either good or bad depending on your spending habits.

Message me if you have any more questions! I had a girl that I talked to for years before I did the program, so I wouldn't be opposed to giving you my email or something so that we can stay in touch! I actually might be going back for another program around then, so we might even be able to freak out over the application process together :) Anyway, I just want to be hear for you. Questions, worries, excitement... I got you.

Last edited:

Jorash

Thank you so so so much everyone for the input! This is so helpful to me, and I will definitely take all of your suggestions, advice, and experiences into consideration while getting ready for hopefully my own DCP experience!

I was accepted for Main Entrance Operations for Fall Advantage for 2014. I had to decline last minute due to financial issues. Some of the things you might want to do before applying is this:

*Join a Facebook page closer to applying to meet some of the people. *
They will all be in the same boat as you, and even some alumni join to help people out. (usually they are listed as Disney College Program Fall/Fall Advantage 2015 or something like that). This is also where you could meet potential or future friends and roommates.

*Learn about the roles. *
This includes looking on the disney website to see what the roles are and learning a little about what it involves. I even watched some of the youtube videos on what you could be doing with the roles.

* Save, Save, Save! *
If you are accepted, you will have to pay a $300 housing fee about 10 days after you get accepted. Not only that, but you will have to have some money to take with you to pay for the first few weeks of living there. (Your rent is usually around $100 a week and you dont get paid till about 1-2 weeks after you start work). And more importantly, save money so you dont have to decline last minute because you cant afford it like me. I would try to save around $1,000 if you can to be safe.

* Watch Youtube videos! *
Get pumped!!! There is a girl on youtube that has some of the best videos ever about the DCP. (I think its KelseyGoesToDisney or something like that). Another reason to watch the videos is to learn about how applying works.

* Phone a friend! *

Now this one is a little silly, but it helped me so so so much when I applied. If you get past the Web Based Interview (Which is a series of timed questions that basically wanted to make sure you really do want this job) Youll then have a telephone interview. Now, before I applied the first time, I googled all sorts of questions they could ask me about the roles I had High Interest in, that way i could think about them and not say ummm uhhhhh hmmm etc. After I thought about the questions, I had my friend (Who also was applying) Call me and we did a mock interview for each other. Then we scored each other and wrote down what needed to be worked on. I Highly recommend doing this. It eases your thoughts and prepares you for what it may be like.

What year and semester were you wanted to apply?
I am hoping to apply for the Fall 2015 Semester. :)

Let me know if you need to know anything else!
I never even thought to look up YouTube videos! I am looking forward into looking into some of those:) I am hoping to apply for the Fall 2016 semester (the semester right after I graduate from college)

I would like to do the Disney College Program Also!! I am a freshman in college right now but i was thinking about doing the program fall semester or spring semester of my sophomore year! I would love to Work in one of the hotels as a Front desk person as my Major is Hospitality with a focus in event management. Since i have a place to stay that is 20 minutes from disneyland i will probably not be living in the dorms. But I'm very excited about this Program and look forward to possibly doing it. :)
That's awesome! I am hoping to do retail or park operations since my major is Business with a concentration in Management (which will hopefully lead to Human Resources for me!) Good luck, I hope you get to do this!

BABE! Okay, it's going to take me a minute to give you anything that is helpful, but in the meantime let me have a minor freak out about the College Program! aifhisodhgoshosgdjoi.

I LOVED it. I have been dreaming about working for Disney since I was a kid. I think that around the same time that I was playing the original release of VMK, I was also compiling "travel guides" with family vacation pictures and tips for what times to eat and ride certain rides. Let me just say, it has always been my dream. When I went to college, it was actually purely to be able to participate in the Disney College Program.'

I'm going to scroll back up and see what your question actually was to begin with, but I'll answer it ASAP. I just got done spending my summer (had to self-term before the fall semester due to unforeseen school/scholarship problems) working in Animal Kingdom on the College Program, Quick Service Food and Beverage - Outdoor Vending. I had the time of my life and will probably start crying tears of joy while typing this.[DOUBLEPOST=1420938590][/DOUBLEPOST]I worked Outdoor Vending (Food Vending) at Animal Kingdom, so comparatively my hours were incredible. Unlike my roommates who had horror stories about extending and late night shifts, I was only forced to extend once (8AM - 9PM instead of my scheduled 6/7 hour shift) and that wasn't even too bad.

Honestly, attitude is everything. Because it was my dream to go there, I always saw the best in things. I know other people who were miserable, or didn't like their jobs, but loved the vibe of living in a neighborhood full of college kids. Those are just a few people that slipped through the cracks though. Most of the people I surrounded myself with were optimistic... a few were their on their second program, and even chose to extend. Disney is really a lifestyle that you become attached to--it's so hard to leave and come back to a world where people aren't as nice and outgoing.

That is one thing that I get all worked up about. I will go on for days and days about how nice the people at Disney are. I don't know if Disney is just the best when it comes to picking the right people, or if their training works magic, but there is not a single person that I met in my workplace that would not go out of their way to help me if I needed it. The people there are so genuinely nice, on stage and off, that it just makes you feel like you are in the best place you could be. I don't know anything that compares to the feeling of being surrounded by people like that.

Housing. I believe I signed some kind of contract to only say nice things about Disney. Because of that, we will not be talking about Vista Way. I stayed in Chatham and it was lovely. Patterson was also nice, from what I heard, but they don't have their own bus stop. They have to walk out of their neighborhood and cross the street to get to Chatham. Basically, Chatham is best. Ummm... I think that the Commons is open for more than just international students now, but I didn't hear much about it one way or another. They're the closest you can get to the mall, which can be either good or bad depending on your spending habits.

Message me if you have any more questions! I had a girl that I talked to for years before I did the program, so I wouldn't be opposed to giving you my email or something so that we can stay in touch! I actually might be going back for another program around then, so we might even be able to freak out over the application process together :) Anyway, I just want to be hear for you. Questions, worries, excitement... I got you.
Thank you so much for all of this amazing information! I would love to stay in touch with you and get to know more about your experiences, your favorite parts, your least favorite parts, and just any more information that you have! I love getting to sit down to talk to people who have already done it because it just makes me even more excited to apply:) I also have no problem giving you my email so that we can talk more, so just shoot me a PM whenever so we can talk more about it!!:)

@Izabelle I saw that you too had some questions for the DCP, so you might find some of this stuff useful as well :D

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
I was accepted for Hospitality doing Room Service. I declined the offer. Every person i know that is doing the DCP as a returning student say Custodial is the best job.