Dispersing of Rare Items

Everyone needs to come to the realization that items that were once rare in OVMK/VMK possibly won't be rare in MMK. If you and everyone else expects something to be rare, the chances of it actually being rare diminish because everyone and their dog will horde it, unless of course the release is controlled. Release them through mini-game high scores >_>... lol

I always liked the idea that (I think) was considered for OVMK, which was that when you clicked NPC's for credits, you'd have a small chance of getting a rare or uncommon item. Maybe it could be you have a 15% chance of receiving an uncommon item (such as expensive things you can buy in stores) and a 5% chance of receiving a rare item (Stitch hat, Mickey ears, Inferno, etc) This way, everyone has the same 5% chance at these rare items.

They could also be given out during Host events like Trivia and such (but please, no Host events like what they did in OVMK.. ugh)

Krista said:
I agree with what you said, Queen. But I feel like rare items give everyone something to work for, and be proud of obtaining.

I always get a fuzzy feeling inside when I get something ive been trying to get. ;)
I completely agree. To me, it's not about being virtually rich, it's about saving up for something that you want and being able to trade and barter for something even better. Can you imagine a VMK without trading? That was a huge part of it for me. I believe in all of the items being equal opportunity, but I do think that we should retire items. If they are available all the time, it doesn't make them special. Like if every day was our birthday, it would start to get boring, you know? There's no excitement in items that are available 24/7 to me.

eevee said:
I always liked the idea that (I think) was considered for OVMK, which was that when you clicked NPC's for credits, you'd have a small chance of getting a rare or uncommon item. Maybe it could be you have a 15% chance of receiving an uncommon item (such as expensive things you can buy in stores) and a 5% chance of receiving a rare item (Stitch hat, Mickey ears, Inferno, etc) This way, everyone has the same 5% chance at these rare items.

They could also be given out during Host events like Trivia and such (but please, no Host events like what they did in OVMK.. ugh)

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

thisischris said:
And this is a more mature community and everyone wants a more mature staff, we should show the maturity back and not make clones and not hoard that way
I agree, too. And it's pretty obvious when people have more things than it's actually possible to buy when the game has only been open for a certain amount of time. OVMK staff did NOTHING about the people with clones. In fact, I feel like some of the people who had the most things were rewarded and favorited in some ways.

I think maybe there should be items releasing in the stores once we have a game we can make credits off of. I think the rarer items should be obtained somehow through codes, host games, and quests. The way items were handed out on ovmk just caused a bunch of chaos and a lot of people were more worried about the items then getting the game run smoothly.

Alyce

Younger than Dirt..Older than Disneyland
eevee said:

I love this idea! Might keep hoarding down and everyone gets a fair chance at items. I remember seeing rooms in VMK that were stacked full of items....just using up space, not to be used in building rooms, etc. It seemed to create a narrow two class system, the haves and the lower have nots. Took some of the laughter away. The best feeling was to give the "new kid" an item they could not purchase and watch them dance! I want to do this again, and have fun, And dance !

:D :D :D :D :D

What do you mean, "i think you guys will (disperse items) more fairly"?

Amy was the ENTIRE reason oVMK didn't disperse their items fairly. Amy was the one giving out unreleased rares to her friends, or random popular people.

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
Lance said:

Amy was the ENTIRE reason oVMK didn't disperse their items fairly. Amy was the one giving out unreleased rares to her friends, or random popular people.
It's a learning experience, hopefully mistakes won't be made again. Like they said in the livestream and what Amy said too, She didn't know the rarity or popularity of the items from VMK. But she is learning the game while she is building it which is commendable on her part.

Amy

Head Administrator
Lance said:

I said this earlier... but I wasn't giving rares to friends/random popular people... I gave out a few things to people but I had no idea who they were.

Amy said:
Lance said:

I said this earlier... but I wasn't giving rares to friends/random popular people... I gave out a few things to people but I had no idea who they were.
I made this statement before you responded the the other thread. No worries!

What made me most angry about OVMK was the fact that so many random items that were unattainable by normal users were floating around with various players. Maybe perhaps they could release items that would cost a lot so that they remain a lot rarer than other things. People have to work for what they want but it is available to anyone. Fox example, I would have no problem with being required to play 50+ games of fireworks to save up before I have enough money to buy an inferno pin if it were in shops. That way those who want to work for it can and those who don't want to won't have one. Another example, holiday pins that were released for one day only. If they were made to be expensive enough so you would have to play say, 3 or 4 games to earn enough money to buy one, they will eventually be rare in time as people trade and hoard or as new players begin to play who missed the event in the past. They can always be obtainable later like in host quest events or pin trading events.

I know everyone wants everything but at the same time, part of the drive for me and I would assume for others as well is collecting and obtaining valuable items for fun. While I want some items to be rarer than others, I still want a fair shot at obtaining them over everyone else. The economy and rarity of items can and should be regulated in ways other than random giveaways where you have to be there at the time of the event (such as livestreams) and accidental releases.

Remember the push trivia pins though? Those were awesome and everyone seemed to have a fair chance as long as you answered correctly you were put into a drawing for a push pin. While I didn't have one, I still felt it was fair and didn't have any problem with it.

Meanestpianist said:
What made me most angry about OVMK was the fact that so many random items that were unattainable by normal users were floating around with various players. Maybe perhaps they could release items that would cost a lot so that they remain a lot rarer than other things. People have to work for what they want but it is available to anyone. Fox example, I would have no problem with being required to play 50+ games of fireworks to save up before I have enough money to buy an inferno pin if it were in shops. That way those who want to work for it can and those who don't want to won't have one. Another example, holiday pins that were released for one day only. If they were made to be expensive enough so you would have to play say, 3 or 4 games to earn enough money to buy one, they will eventually be rare in time as people trade and hoard or as new players begin to play who missed the event in the past. They can always be obtainable later like in host quest events or pin trading events.

I know everyone wants everything but at the same time, part of the drive for me and I would assume for others as well is collecting and obtaining valuable items for fun. While I want some items to be rarer than others, I still want a fair shot at obtaining them over everyone else. The economy and rarity of items can and should be regulated in ways other than random giveaways where you have to be there at the time of the event (such as livestreams) and accidental releases.

Remember the push trivia pins though? Those were awesome and everyone seemed to have a fair chance as long as you answered correctly you were put into a drawing for a push pin. While I didn't have one, I still felt it was fair and didn't have any problem with it.
this post was spot on.

To make things completely fair from the start, DO NOT GIVE AWAY FREE ITEMS TO RANDOM PEOPLE OR FROM CODES. For the love of god just please, DO NOT. This just causes an imbalance from the start of the game as we saw in OVMK. It honestly doesn't make sense for a few people to have a "rare" item, yet everyone else can't trade for it because there is no equal value for it on the market yet! You're going to release the item in the future so why not just prevent the whining NOW and dont release it to limited amount of people? Also, I don't believe people should be getting "free rare items" because you got to be part of the beta testing team. NO. You don't possess a special ability over everyone else for testing out a game. Anyone on this forum is capable of giving feedback so you're not special. Unless you're main staff like Amy, you shouldn't have an advantage over everyone else just because you got lucky and were chosen for beta testing.The topic of "rare" is such a simple idea, yet everyone makes it more difficult than what it actually is! Its simple. You release an item for everyone to buy for a LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME, and eventually the item becomes rare over time. Please, can anyone tell me what is so hard to understand about this simple concept? Stop injecting the economy with rare items from the start of the game! That is not a NATURAL economy, it is an ARTIFICIAL economy! What is the rush??? Honestly, I am sick of people having long discussions of how rare items should be distributed! There is no need for that. Invest your time into suggesting other ideas for the game instead of this topic over and over and over and over again...It really needs to stop. Someone submit this to Amy or something. I had posted something similar to this on the OVMK forums, but nobody listened to me.

Can I get an Amen?

There will never be a "Fair" way of getting rares.. sorry
But for the most part VMK would always have a calender and on those days if i remember correctly, you'd ride a ride to the end and trade the host, ride the ride out to leave.

I think that's a fair way, and honestly if you do it that way , we 1. have a calender when it'll come out. 2. Maybe put the items in order.. first 10 get the
rarest then 11-25 get the 2nd rarest... etc.. etc, till you decide to close it down. (But I believe they had theirs open for a half a hour, or a complete hour.)

-Paul. :)

Honestly as a PP mentioned, I think there are bigger problems then rare items right now.
I'd like to see mini-games and quests working before rare items are a concern. Besides being realesed in shops for limited time, I think there should be also limited time quests with special prizes like the old vmk.

I like how it was done in the original game, it was fair to all. Items were released for a week and then not released again for some time. After the economy was up and running and the game designers saw which items were heavily traded, they chose those items as gifts for contests, etc. For people that didn't start the game right away, if they wanted a rare item, they had to work for it. You can see how that played out with OpenVMK and green flips. Almost everyone chose them for their avatar so they were worth nothing in the short run. You couldn't trade them for a Stitch hat.

Long story short, it is always better for the health of a game to allow the players to decide what is rare and desirable, rather than deciding it for them.

Amy, there is considerable information on game economies on the internet. I strongly recommend you read about it - I think it would benefit us all.

Foamy

Hold off events until the server can handle a full load (according to Amy, this should be possible very soon).
Create rares by removing items from the catalog before doing anything else.
If there is an event, announce it first on the forums and make sure everyone knows.
DO NOT make items rare that were rare in the original VMK with a few exceptions.

Dedicate a team or at least one person to deciding how and when the economy will function.