Drinking age

Slowly over time the alcohol kills your liver cells. If you aren't addicted and drink it, let's say once a year, then you can easily gain those cells back. But if you drink daily, your cells keep dying and dying until there's no more left. The more you drink the faster your liver cells die, so unless you drink alcohol very rarely then potentially, yes it will kill you.
So?

Eating most of the foods we eat a day increases the risk for cholesterol and lethal heart attacks, but we still do it.
This thread isn't about that, it's about drinking. :)
But it's still a valid point. It's not apples to oranges.

Slowly over time the alcohol kills your liver cells. If you aren't addicted and drink it, let's say once a year, then you can easily gain those cells back. But if you drink daily, your cells keep dying and dying until there's no more left. The more you drink the faster your liver cells die, so unless you drink alcohol very rarely then potentially, yes it will kill you.
So?

Eating most of the foods we eat a day increases the risk for cholesterol and lethal heart attacks, but we still do it.
Yes, but not everyone can prevent that. Food is something we need to survive, whether it be good for you or not. We do not need alcohol to live.

So?

Yes, but not everyone can prevent that. Food is something we need to survive, whether it be good for you or not. We do not need alcohol to live.
We have the full ability to watch what we eat and eat healthier, we just don't.

Question

Very Questionable
So?

We don't need fast food to survive. We can literally eat all the basic food groups but we don't choose to do that. Fast food is yummy, and alcohol relieves stress and is fun at parties.

So?

We have the full ability to watch what we eat and eat healthier, we just don't.
Some people do, actually a lot of people do. But that's way off topic, but I think we both made our points clear. :)

Andrew

So?

We don't need fast food to survive. We can literally eat all the basic food groups but we don't choose to do that. Fast food is yummy, and alcohol relieves stress and is fun at parties.
That's the reason why I think a lot of underage people drink, because they are at a party and want to have a good time. No, not everyone who is underage drinks at parties, but those who do want to enjoy themselves while socializing with others.

So?

I don't see how it's fun if it kills you slowly :blue: and some people eat fast food because they don't have enough money to buy other foods, fast food choices are getting somewhat healthier. They can have fun at parties with soda, not that soda is good for you, but it's way better than alcohol. A drink is a drink, I don't see how one can be more fun than another :question:

WHO

So?

I don't see how it's fun if it kills you slowly :blue: and some people eat fast food because they don't have enough money to buy other foods, fast food choices are getting somewhat healthier. They can have fun at parties with soda, not that soda is good for you, but it's way better than alcohol. A drink is a drink, I don't see how one can be more fun than another :question:
Everything kills you slowly.

the consumption of alcohol speeds up the process though :stare:
So does stress.
Using alcohol to relieve stress just resolves in a death cycle. It goes:

Stress -> Alcohol -> Dying liver -> more stress -> more alcohol -> dying liver

and that goes on and on until you die sooner than normal. There are better ways to relieve stress, like drinking water. Why does one drink have more power over the other? A drink is a drink, so why not drink something that's good for you! That can relieve stress as well?

----------

Everything kills you slowly.
the consumption of alcohol speeds up the process though :stare:

Again, I think this is something you're too young to process or understand. Sitting on the computer speeds up the process, eating candy speeds up the process, eating fast food speeds up the process, etc.
I am old enough to understand alcohol, drugs, and addiction. I study the medical field, especially the human body. I know a lot about results that can come from doing certain things. You see, I wan't to become a surgeon one day. It's my job to learn as much as possible while I'm young, so I know a lot more than the average 14 year old in this subject :)

i honestly don't believe this, I don't care what their "studies" say, I don't find it true.
If you're not going to believe in scientifically studied and proven medical facts, then there's no point in debating this anymore.

You've been presented with factual studies, you chose not to believe them.
I have also given you scientifically studied and proven medical facts, that show that alcohol is bad for you. So yes there still is a point in debating this.

Jasmine

There are better ways to relieve stress, like drinking water. Why does one drink have more power over the other? A drink is a drink, so why not drink something that's good for you! That can relieve stress as well?
You do realize drinking isn't about drinking? There are almost always psychological issues behind it (habitual drinking).

karkat

in other countries where the drinking age is lower, and alcohol use is less taboo they have less problems with binge drinking and alcoholism

There are better ways to relieve stress, like drinking water. Why does one drink have more power over the other? A drink is a drink, so why not drink something that's good for you! That can relieve stress as well?
You do realize drinking isn't about drinking? There are almost always psychological issues behind it (habitual drinking).
Yes, I do realize. But lots of people tend to abuse it. There are certain circumstances that drinking is appropriate, like ceremonies. But regular consumption of drinks can be avoided. In my household I was taught that you should never drink, unless you're at a wedding or something. It's what I believe and it's what I'm standing my opinion for.

buttercuip

i saw its better to lower the age and ACTUALLY teach responsibility.
in school most of the drug and alcohol discussions dont really teach me anything, just if you drink and drive you can kill someone.

i learned more from my parents allowing me to drink in a controlled area. I learned how much I can drink and I could tell that if I drink I could not function well.
now when i drink i make sure i have a ride home, i dont even take my car out to begin with.

i know this might not work for everyone, but parents need to take responsibility in something.