Funeral of Fred Phelps Sr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

I saw this topic on Facebook the other day, and thought it might be an interesting topic to see here, now that we have a debate section.

The pastor of Westboro Baptist Church, Fred Phelps Sr., recently passed away. For those who aren't quite sure, Westboro Baptist Church has been very outspoken in their dislike of homosexuality blaming numerous things, like AIDs and dead soldiers on the nations tolerance of homosexuality.

Since this news has come forth, I have seen many individuals saying they would picket his funeral, spit on his body, etc.

While I in no way agree with his actions and his opinions on homosexuality, I don't agree with the people who want to picket his funeral and otherwise. In my opinion, it just brings you down to his level and makes you no better than him. "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

Without further ado, the debate/thread topic:

How do you feel about the people who want to picket the funeral? Would you join them? Do you disagree?

I don't even agree with people being HAPPY that he's dead. He was still someones Dad, Uncle, Grandfather, etc. The whole church is awful and heartless, but he was still a human being. People actually help up a sign that said "SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS" at their most recent protest. I feel like the church should be stopped, but in the correct manner.

Turns out there won't be a funeral but it wouldn't be right to picket there anyways. It's a question of morality... if you chose to picket, then it really would make you no better than them.

Amy

Head Administrator
Turns out there won't be a funeral but it wouldn't be right to picket there anyways. It's a question of morality... if you chose to picket, then it really would make you no better than them.

No no, I think picketing would've been the right way to go :)

While he was a very hateful person he made a difference in the way people that were on the fence about gay rights saw them and reinforced the unity of those who who are fighting for equality. Every villain makes the hero in someone stand up.
I wouldn't go out protesting, but I wouldn't judge someone or deny them markers and poster board if they wanted to express themselves, after all it's their protected right.

Status
Not open for further replies.