gender equality?

Kelsey

i'm not good with writing how i feel or expressing my opinions too well but this is one of those things that i really do feel strongly about. if someone doesn't know what that is, (which i'm sure everyone on here does but just in case) gender equality is basically exactly what it says. it's the belief that both genders deserve and receive equal treatment either in real life, on a virtual game, at a paying job, the right to vote, or anywhere else in the world. this has been bothering me a lot on myvmk an even though it may not seem like a BIG deal, to me, i think it is. everywhere all over the world there are kids, boys and girls, who feel as though they can't do what the other gender can do because it's either, a) too girly, b) too boyish, or c) in a "normal" world boys or girls don't do that. whatever the case may be, i think it's personally wrong. even though this is just a game, i feel like a lot of people on here take it almost as real life, (even though sometimes that can be a problem), in this instance, i don't think it is. i think that everyone on myvmk should have the same exact choices as one another, whether that's hair length, hair color, skin color, and clothes especially. i've seen a lot of boys, (men whatever) that have said they don't understand why boys don't get the same hair types girls do. or why girls don't have the same hair types, or even the clothes in the catalog. i understand if myvmk is trying to make it interesting so that you can trade girl clothes for boys, but i feel as though that can still happen even if we all have the same things. for example, when the mickey and minnie sweater was out, the girls could only get red and if they wanted the mickey blue one, they had to either a) trade for it, or b) create a boy account in order to buy it. now since apparently having a clone is against the myvmk rules, we aren't supposed to do that. or we could always trade which is what most people do if they want boy clothes or girl clothes. anyways, i don't understand why boys are only allowed the typical "boy" clothes and girls are only allowed the typical "girls" clothes. if guys want to buy and wear girls clothes, guess what, they can. if girls want to buy and wear boy clothes, guess what, they can. and they should be able to. i just don't understand why girls and boys have to be limited as to what they can look like or wear just because of a gender specification. i've seen a lot of threads on there relating to this topic so i know i'm not the first to speak about this but i felt like i needed to put my two cents in even if they don't matter to much people.

if you read this, thank you lol.. i usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to problems on games but i feel very strongly about this topic inside and outside of the game so i knew i had to say something. have a good day x

C

Christa

i'm not good with writing how i feel or expressing my opinions too well but this is one of those things that i really do feel strongly about. if someone doesn't know what that is, (which i'm sure everyone on here does but just in case) gender equality is basically exactly what it says. it's the belief that both genders deserve and receive equal treatment either in real life, on a virtual game, at a paying job, the right to vote, or anywhere else in the world. this has been bothering me a lot on myvmk an even though it may not seem like a BIG deal, to me, i think it is. everywhere all over the world there are kids, boys and girls, who feel as though they can't do what the other gender can do because it's either, a) too girly, b) too boyish, or c) in a "normal" world boys or girls don't do that. whatever the case may be, i think it's personally wrong. even though this is just a game, i feel like a lot of people on here take it almost as real life, (even though sometimes that can be a problem), in this instance, i don't think it is. i think that everyone on myvmk should have the same exact choices as one another, whether that's hair length, hair color, skin color, and clothes especially. i've seen a lot of boys, (men whatever) that have said they don't understand why boys don't get the same hair types girls do. or why girls don't have the same hair types, or even the clothes in the catalog. i understand if myvmk is trying to make it interesting so that you can trade girl clothes for boys, but i feel as though that can still happen even if we all have the same things. for example, when the mickey and minnie sweater was out, the girls could only get red and if they wanted the mickey blue one, they had to either a) trade for it, or b) create a boy account in order to buy it. now since apparently having a clone is against the myvmk rules, we aren't supposed to do that. or we could always trade which is what most people do if they want boy clothes or girl clothes. anyways, i don't understand why boys are only allowed the typical "boy" clothes and girls are only allowed the typical "girls" clothes. if guys want to buy and wear girls clothes, guess what, they can. if girls want to buy and wear boy clothes, guess what, they can. and they should be able to. i just don't understand why girls and boys have to be limited as to what they can look like or wear just because of a gender specification. i've seen a lot of threads on there relating to this topic so i know i'm not the first to speak about this but i felt like i needed to put my two cents in even if they don't matter to much people.

if you read this, thank you lol.. i usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to problems on games but i feel very strongly about this topic inside and outside of the game so i knew i had to say something. have a good day x
I mean I can agree with you strongly but I can also see how people can argue the opposite. Gender equality is and always will be a hot topic and will always be debated and there will probably be an endless argument about it. And that's pretty sad.

Kelsey

I mean I can agree with you strongly but I can also see how people can argue the opposite. Gender equality is and always will be a hot topic and will always be debated and there will probably be an endless argument about it. And that's pretty sad.
agreed. it is pretty sad :/

Frinklebumper

Bumper of Frinkles
The main argument against "gender equal" character customization is that it would remove a core mechanic of the original VMK's gameplay. Since a lot of players here are here for nostalgia, messing with the game that badly might cause some contention.

If I recall correctly, there's an unspoken exception to the clone rule for a single opposite-gendered account... but don't quote me on that. xP

Last edited:
O_o nostalgia? I don't think anyone's concerned about nostalgia's sake, in terms of cross dressing. The only argument I've ever heard regarding this is that some people are offended with guys/girls dressing as the opposite, which I've seen a ton of people do.

Honestly its not even a big deal at all, if a guy wants to wear a dress and have long hair...well I guess he should be able to. If a girl wants to have a Mohawk and rock...a stereotypical guy outfit, then dang diddly doodle she should be able to!

Kelsey

The main argument against "gender equal" character customization is that it would remove a core mechanic of the original VMK's gameplay. Since the majority of players here are here for nostalgia, messing with the game that badly might cause some contention.

If I recall correctly, there's an unspoken exception to the clone rule for a single opposite-gendered account... but don't quote me on that. xP
O_o nostalgia? I don't think anyone's concerned about nostalgia's sake, in terms of cross dressing. The only argument I've ever heard regarding this is that some people are offended with guys/girls dressing as the opposite, which I've seen a ton of people do.

Honestly its not even a big deal at all, if a guy wants to wear a dress and have long hair...well I guess he should be able to. If a girl wants to have a Mohawk and rock...a stereotypical guy outfit, then dang diddly doodle she should be able to!
i agree.. i don't think nostalgia has anything to do with that. most people care about rooms or events or rare, not what a girl and a guy can or cannot wear.

OstrichJockey

Yes, I agree, it's hard to strut through Fantasyland Courtyard's without Fabio's glorious mane of hair or Kenny G's wild mop of curls. Some days I'm in the mood for Grace Jones' blunt cut. Letting ladies dress up in gentlemen's tuxes (and vice versa) is a great step, but I would like a wee nudge forward in the looks department too.

Frinklebumper

Bumper of Frinkles

I was referring to hair styles and face shapes more than clothing, but meh. Just my two cents.

As for OP, ultimately it doesn't really come down to gender *equality* per se, since both guys and girls have their fair share of individual customization. It wouldn't really bother me personally either way, though. o3o

I agree with Krosette, and honestly, those of you who don't really understand what she's saying, then it's probably because you've never really had to think about it. It should be an issue for everyone, but sadly, it's usually only an issue for those who actually want to cross the boarders of the gender spectrum.

I'd really like to see MyVMK become more open and diverse in that way.

OstrichJockey

I agree with Krosette, and honestly, those of you who don't really understand what she's saying, then it's probably because you've never really had to think about it. It should be an issue for everyone, but sadly, it's usually only an issue for those who actually want to cross the boarders of the gender spectrum.

I'd really like to see MyVMK become more open and diverse in that way.
Aye aye, it's a shame the Bearded Lady can't sweep the World Walrus Moustache Championship within MyVMK's universe. :)

On a practical note, I would drop my secondary character if I could switch between both genders. Don't need a clone to buy tuxes and tiaras. ;)

It would honestly save a lot of pointless bans in the game! There would not be a need for an opposite gender clone because all options would be available to you. On top of this, since their are less boys in-game, the boys clothes is a little harder to come by, which raises their value and leaves girls spending crazy amounts for them. If we all had the same options, the economy would greatly benefit! :) On top of that, I know many struggling on this game because they are stuck into the 'boy only' or 'girl only' VMK spectrum. There should be equal options for all, no matter what it is! :)