Graphic Program

I was wondering if anyone knew of a free and virus safe program to design graphics? Just something like my avatar and what I've seen a lot of people do. I'm willing to learn.
For more clarification:
Some people make photos with their avatars and stuff that look professional. What free program could I use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Try CS3? It's highly advanced photoshopping.

Emelon

SAI is good for character design. I believe Silhouette used Photoshop to make the graphics on a lot of people's signatures (Hipster's). People say GIMP is a lot like Photoshop except it's free, so you can try that. I personally think both Photoshop and GIMP are confusing as all get out, but I haven't spent more than a few minutes total messing around with them.

SAI is good for character design. I believe Silhouette used Photoshop to make the graphics on a lot of people's signatures (Hipster's). People say GIMP is a lot like Photoshop except it's free, so you can try that. I personally think both Photoshop and GIMP are confusing as all get out, but I haven't spent more than a few minutes total messing around with them.
Did you use that for your signature?
Thanks