Having a job while still in high school

allison

So I came to the realization that I should probably get a job. After all, I am 16 and have a license. So, for anyone that has/had a job while in high school, here are some questions. What places should I apply to? Did having a job take away from your study time? What hours/days do/did you usually work? How would I go about the process of quitting a job if I didn't like the place I was working at, or for some other reason? Also, any other information you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks for your input!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McDonalds and any fast food might be a place to start applying. My friends had a hard time keeping up with their homework and they took the minimal to pass high school. At 16, they worked a lot less hours since there are job restrictions in California. They usually worked less than 20 hours a week. If you're quitting a job, the respectful thing is to give a 2 weeks notice.

kalyee

Fast food and retail is about all that's going to hire you at your age. You'll more than likely only be getting part time hours, and expect to be working weekends.
With minimum wage jobs, if you're going to quit you put in two weeks notice and then part ways, but jumping from job to job looks really bad on resumes so sometimes it's best to tough it out. These jobs won't be parties, and you can't expect that until you've worked your way up in the world - even then. At your age you're cheap labour and not much more.
Check out sites like snagajob that have a teen category - under 18 - to get an idea of places that will and are legally able to hire you. A lot of people don't start working until after they graduate, so if it proves too much to balance it's not a huge worry - yet.

PIGGIESARECOOL

try something u are actually interested in! you arent gonna wanna go to work at a job if u dont like it! youll just end up quitting! Try making your own pet service (walking dogs and petsitting- actually gets a lot of money!) or try babysitting. Maybe retail? Look and see if your favorite store is hiring cause then u could also get an employer discount ;) just some things to think about! :)

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I applied for an unpaid internship of the sports medicine program of my HS for next year, that might be my job next year.

I'd also recommend not working at fast food. They're plenty of other things. You could get a job in a retail store potentially, a supermarket, a hair salon... (book appointments, answering phone)...

First you need to decide what things you'd like most to do, and what things you'd be best suited for. :)

I do not recommend working at a fast food place at all. I worked at Goodwill when I was in high school and it definitely ate up a lot of my time; it'll affect your school life and social life but if you can handle the changes then you'll be fine. You just gotta adjust your habits and such to a new life style. Also, I kinda don't recommend Goodwill either lol. The one I worked at was a terrible working environment. Maybe they aren't all like that but all the ones around me are o.0 Good luck finding a job! I hope it all goes well for you :D

If you're really worried about it I don't think getting a job is a good idea at the time, maybe try starting with a job over the summer? most places that'll hire highschoolers are fast food, grocery stores, and some retail as a cashier.. Though what I suggest, and what I do personally is list yourself as an evening/date night/spring break/etc babysitter on care.com.. I'm currently working full time with a nannying job I found on there & I occasionally babysit for other families in the evenings and on weekends as needed.

iamabigdisfan

I worked at a movie theater when in school. They are always looking for help. During the summer I worked for the town at the pools.
I did enjoy working at the theater.

I am in college and I applies to work at a coffee shop. For high schoolers, I think it would be bestir you can work as interns for a corporation, a retailer at a clothing store, or like I'm planning to do barista at a coffee shop

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
I had one and I worked at a library. Very easy and cushy job, I would definitely recommend it if you don't want to work somewhere super loud and busy!

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
I know a few people who still are in HS but work.
It really depends on where you work, but you can meet friends at work too. It doesn't not give you a social life. Its up to you where you feel comfortable. If fast food is what you want, then go for it. Otherwise try a restaurant. That's where I work and its pretty simple