Hollywood Studios Removing Sorcerer Mickey Hat

Myth

Beginning in 2015 the iconic Sorcerer Mickey Hat will be removed from Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Personally this is sad news to me :( The first time as a kid I ever visited MGM they had the hat and I always loved it so much as a kid. I understand they want to restore the original look of the park and it blocks the view of the Great Movie Ride etc but it was always one of my favorite icons to the park. It always brought more magic to me.

What are your thoughts?

Article here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ood-studios-sorcerers-hat-20141024-story.html

EDIT : For those saying Earful tower will replace as the icon, here is an article showing TOT being the main icon in the parks' new park maps:
http://attractionsmagazine.com/new-disney-brochure-foretell-removal-hollywood-studios-sorcerer-hat/

Last edited:

philitup

The Internet Champion!
What the heck? They closed The Backlot Tour with like a two weeks notice, and now they're getting rid of the icon... How does this make any sense? I'm not going to cry over The Backlot Tour, but they won't even say what they're doing with that area either.

I disagree with a lot of things Disney is doing right now.

First Avatar, Maelstrom, and now THIS. :rage: I thought it was rumored The Great Movie ride was closing? I guess it isn't. :shrug:

With Backlot, American Idol, and LMA! (maybe?) closing down and the hat removal, it's clear they're getting ready to announce something big. Most likely Cars (*prays* :stare:) and/or Star Wars (boooooo) land(s). At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to attempt to revamp most of the Park before it's over with. HS changes more often than Epcot, it seems, but it's obviously they're in need of a serious update for increased appeal. It's only worth seeing during Christmastime, imo, and ToT is the only attraction I enjoy. I'll blow a gasket if they pull Frozen land from their destroyed sorcerer hat.

I'm perfectly fine with the proposed new additions (CARS! :eee:), but the hat...? That's NOT okay. It'll feel so empty. Like my heart.:cry:

Yeah....I don't know what direction Disney is heading in, but it's certainly not a good one. I trust that they can somehow make something good out of what they have planned/doing like avatar land (no way), replacing maelstrom (eh not happy about it), removing back lot tour (sure?), and removing the mickey hat (understandable since as we learned in 2008 that 'not all things were supposed to last forever if they were promotional' cough vmk cough). I'm not a big cars fan but I still don't think they should add a cars land since star wars land will attract people of all ages and it's more of a classic.

Megara

no sleep club
Although I'm terribly sad about the iconic sorcerer hat being removed, I wouldn't be opposed to them adding a Cars land, like other's have said. I've seen Disneyland's Cars Land, and wow, I always thought it looked really awesome.

VampireBoy

I am honestly not happy with this at all the Sorcerer Mickey Hat has pretty much always been the icon for Disney Hollywood Studios and without it they don't have an icon so I honestly do not understand what Disney is trying to do. I always loved the big mickey hat and in my opinion I think removing the hat would be like removing one of the other three icons like the Tree Of Life, or the Epcot Ball, or Cinderella Castle so honestly I don't think Disney should be removing this because its not right.

Last edited:
Apparently they are also closing the Jack Sparrow attraction.

I didn't do this when I was at the park. Is it a great loss? Or was it cool? I kinda wish I did it, but the wait was way too long lol.
No - it was the lamest thing ever. :facepalm:
You'd be much better off riding POTC.

---

My question is...is the hat going to remain the icon of HS in promos and merchandise? What's supposed to represent it? Water tower as the logo? :shrug:

Anyway, Cars Land was the only thing I enjoyed at DCA (no offense). The theming is flawless, food was tasty, and RSR took my breath away! I could've spent 95% of my time at DCA in Cars Land if I hadn't gotten sick. Getting it here would be a dream come true! It means I'd never have to go back to DL, tbh. :ugh: I think it would be a lovely addition. Even a general Pixar land would be nice. It would be awesome if they had room for both Cars/Pixar and SW (do they?). Though, with Avatar, I imagine SW would take a long while. I don't like SW so I couldn't care less. :impatient:

I mean, the reason they put up the hat in the first place was to block out the Chinese Theatre facade of the Great Movie Ride. Since it (the theater, I mean) was the first thing you'd see when entering, it became the pseudo 'icon' of the park. That didn't sit well with the real Chinese Theatre, and so because of trademarks and junk they had to cover it up so Disney wouldn't have to pay royalties for its use.

Personally, I always sort of thought the hat was out of place (even as a little kid) but eh, what're you gonna do? :shrug:

I was always more of a Disneyland kind of guy anyway.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Is this a hoax? Because this can't be happening. The Sorcerer hat is the logo for Hollywood Studios, it always has been. It's been there for as long as I can remember. It's also such a great picture spot. It's where mostly everybody gets their picture taken in front of. It's like the Cinderella castle. That's going to anger many people, honestly. All the things they're removing is just going to make people not want to go to the parks with all the attractions and other things they're removing. It's really stupid to remove it.

Myth

Is this a hoax? Because this can't be happening. The Sorcerer hat is the logo for Hollywood Studios, it always has been. It's been there for as long as I can remember. It's also such a great picture spot. It's where mostly everybody gets their picture taken in front of. It's like the Cinderella castle. That's going to anger many people, honestly. All the things they're removing is just going to make people not want to go to the parks with all the attractions and other things they're removing. It's really stupid to remove it.
A lot of older fans are actually happy it's happening to restore the original design of the street.

I love the hat too much to see it go forever -- I'm hoping they relocate it to another area instead of completely taking it out.

Actually, I think the feelings towards the decision are split. A lot of people absolutely hated the hat for various reasons, but the most common complaint was it obstructing the view of The Chinese Theater. Can't say I understand Disney's reasoning behind the removal at this point, but I'm sure a lot of thought and consideration was given before deciding to remove it. ...but granted, it took 7 years for that silly wand to be taken off the Epcot geosphere. :p Who knows!

MGM opened in 1989, but the hat wasn't placed until 2001. The Earful Tower and The Chinese Theater were the original icons. :shrug: Just a guess, but I suppose they weren't considered "Disney-enough" at the time the hat was decided.

I don't think there's anywhere TO relocate it? I'd 100% supportive of relocation if there's space.