Is monogamy truly a social norm?

or as humans are we deluding ourselves to separate our race from beasts?

Are humans really meant to commit to one person for the rest of their lives, or are they meant to enter relationships and let them run their course instead?

Disclaimer: This thread isn't condoning polygamy or lascivious behavior. It's just asking if our species is meant to be monogamous or if it's simply just an ideal that most can't obtain.

allison

Even thought it doesn't appear as so, I think that women in polygamous relationships would at least have SOME ounce of jealously against the other wives, which in my opinion could lead to bitterness, anger, etc. I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of a man having multiple wives. We were watching the show sisterwives in sociology class the other day, and the guy said that he "rotates" sleeping with his wives. I think in these polygamous relationships, women are treated more as objects than true people. With monogamy, obviously there are two people that care about each other, which can allow for more personal time. If you're in a polygamous relationship, you kind of have to spread out time with your wives, like a schedule, almost, which I just think is very wrong. Ok, 2 hours today with
wife #1, and 2 hours tomorrow with wife #2. Polygamy in my opinion does not allow the people to connect on a personal relationship that is necessary for the relationship to survive, if that makes any sense. So, in my opinion, I would say that yes, monogamy is a social norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm not talking about open relationships. Or polygamy like said in the disclaimer. I'm asking if it's healthy notion to think it moral to be with one partner for the rest of your life.

Essentially, do most marriages even work out?

karkat

monogamy is only social norm among post-industrialized western countries
and that opposition to polygyny in those western countries comes directly from the pre-reformation catholic church trying to limit the amount of male heirs, because if a family had no male heir, their money and property went to the church.
now polyandry is practiced almost no where, save small villages in Tibet, where a woman will marry a bunch of brothers to ensure that property does not get divided. there's not a lot of available farm land where this tribe is located so this is what works for them.
its unknown what our species is supposed to in regards to marriage, or if we are even meant to do anything. the concept of marriage is based on sexual ownership, and while that is expressed in the animal kingdom, it seems like we take it a lot farther.