Karalora's Pie-in-the-Sky Wishlist

Karalora

Unlike many of the good people here, I have no graphic design or programming skills. All I can bring to the table are my ideas, and here they are. I will update this list as I go. I am all about the room decorating, so these will pretty much all be furniture. If anything on it ever actually gets made...well, I can dream, can't I?

Sound System

One thing that tends to irk me about the guest rooms is that you can't customize the soundtrack. It's especially noticeable with the Dark Ride Room, where no matter how awesome your theme and its execution, all you have playing in the background are those electrical sizzles. Wouldn't it be great if you could override a room's normal soundtrack with a different one of your choice?

I envision the functional Sound System as two items, actually: one representing the sound equipment itself (and taking up space in the room), and another representing any of several "tapes" (I'm probably dating myself by choosing that term) you can play. Collecting "tapes" could be a project in itself. If you wanted to build a multi-room ride with a consistent soundtrack throughout, each room would require its own Sound System and its own copy of the "tape" in question.

ALR Paint Cans In Different Colors

Because having different colors of the same items is fun. And because it would be cute to do a room in items of all one color and then leave the cans around to suggest that you painted them that way.

Doom Buggy Dark Ride Pieces

A start and a teleporter is all that would be required. Can I get a holla from all you Haunted Mansion fans out there? I thought so.

Adventure Thru Inner Space Items

Okay, I admit it. I'm an old fogey. I remember the Adventure Thru Inner Space ride at Disneyland. I frigging loved that ride. But if I want to pay tribute to it in MyVMK, what do I have? The ice thrones could represent giant snow crystals, I guess. Those Mickey 50th lamps aren't a terrible approximation of the big water molecules from the ride. Anything else? With Frozen-mania at full swing last Christmas, I'm a little surprised there aren't any giant snowflake items.

Also, the Doom Buggy dark ride pieces mentioned above? Recolor the car blue, and it's an Atommobile. Just saying.

That's all for now. I will add more as I think of it.

Last edited:

Karalora

Corner Carpets

The carpets are a great way to define the terrain of a room, but with the isometric view, you often can't evenly fill in the sides and wind up with this ugly zig-zag outline. Corner carpets would eliminate this problem as well as simply allowing for a more nuanced definition of areas. I think someone else started a thread asking for corner pixels, for a similar reason. Speaking of which...

Patterned/Textured Pixels

I guess the pattern/texture means they wouldn't technically be pixels, but the principle is the same--low-cost building blocks for filling space and constructing large walls and floor areas. We already have proof-of-concept with the ice cubes and gingerbread blocks. It would be great to have these with brick, masonry, wood, and other textures in order to give character to our constructions.

Last edited:

Karalora

Natural Landscape Items

We have a couple different takes on deciduous and palm trees, but how about some evergreens (not decorated, that is)? How about autumn foliage? How about bushes, flowers, and grass?

On the mineral end of things, I'd like to see the PPR rocks in different colors--gray for daylit scenes, orange-ish palettes for Thunder Mountain style landscapes, white to double as snowdrifts or ice formations.

Karalora

"it's a small world" Room Items

It's the Corniest Cruise That Ever Sailed, but I love it. (If you couldn't tell from my avatar.) I feel like it gets short shrift here in the game--reduced in status from a classic ride to a mere shop, its famous theme song replaced with some random ditty, and the only items related to it are pins. Chester* deserves better! Let's have things like:

- Flats replicating slices of the facade.
- Interior flats showing off that great Mary Blair style.
- Some of the iconic set pieces like a plaid Scottish castle turret, Japanese fan or Aztec sun.
- Boat ride pieces--either the river flume from the old VMK, or something closer to the waterslides but with a little pastel boat instead of nothing.
- A clock tower. It would go with the facade flats, but I saved it for last because I have some razzle-dazzle in mind. Key it in to the actual game clock and have it strike the quarter hour with a little show! Or make it so that when you double-click, the gears spin and numbers bounce, and then a message pops up with the in-game time. Something to make it function as a real clock.

* Apparently the clock tower in Anaheim is named Chester. Per the Cast Members.

It's the Corniest Cruise That Ever Sailed, but I love it. (If you couldn't tell from my avatar.) I feel like it gets short shrift here in the game--reduced in status from a classic ride to a mere shop, its famous theme song replaced with some random ditty, and the only items related to it are pins. Chester* deserves better! Let's have things like:

- Some of the iconic set pieces like a plaid Scottish castle turret, Japanese fan or Aztec sun.
- Boat ride pieces--either the river flume from the old VMK, or something closer to the waterslides but with a little pastel boat instead of nothing.
- A clock tower. It would go with the facade flats, but I saved it for last because I have some razzle-dazzle in mind. Key it in to the actual game clock and have it strike the quarter hour with a little show! Or make it so that when you double-click, the gears spin and numbers bounce, and then a message pops up with the in-game time. Something to make it function as a real clock.

This post is very important.

Like, double flats! The Toontown flats had a back and a hill set to place in front- the small world flats could layer like that :o

Last edited:

StevenSky

I'm going to disneyland soon.. dunno when but soon, def before may 20-something. I'll take pictures and see what i can do (if its open, they close that thing like all the time)

Karalora

Modular Shelving Unit

This would be a stackable item such as might be used to display small items in a room. It would be a great way to show off an Easter egg collection, for instance. But the real value would be in making the unstackable, stackable. Place a shelf, put stuff on it, and then place another shelf on top. The shelf itself and the side supports might have to be separate items to make this work, but the whole setup could be expanded to any size that would fit in a room.

Karalora

This one is a functionality thing rather than an item...

I get busy/distracted sometimes and can't remember when exactly I last visited the NPCs for credits. This leads to frustration when I come back too early and have to sit there double-clicking the Yeti and wondering whether I should come back in 5 minutes or 20 or 30 or more. I wish that when you double-clicked an NPC before it's time to collect again, the message window would tell you when the waiting period would expire.

Karalora

Here's a pretty far-out idea. What if we had...more individual shops? Let me explain how this idea occurred to me.

Everyone was pretty well giddy with happiness when the mods allowed us to vote on a few items to be added permanently to the Shop button stock. Although I understand that limiting access to items is vital for keeping the game busy (because it creates urgency--why jam to earn credits for a Castle Cloud Prop now when it will still be there three months from now?), it can also be extremely frustrating, especially for those of us with limited time to play. Too often, I find myself stocking up on things I have no particular use for, just so I won't be stuck trying to buy them off fellow players (at inflated prices) in case I think of a great use somewhere down the line.

So...more permanent item availability! Yeah! But then I thought...what if the limiting factor is memory/load time for a given shop? Try to put 100 different things on the shelves at the Emporium and you'll drastically increase load times. Which is what gave me the idea to increase the total number of shops and give each one more specialized stock. I don't know what all goes into creating and setting up a new public room, especially one with additional functionality such as shopping, but here are some possibilities, with new shop concepts in bold:

Emporium (Main Street): General-use and Main Street-themed items (the same as now, basically)
Main Street Cinema (Main Street): Items directly related to movies, cartoons, etc. Since we don't have a Toontown, anything Mickey Mouse could go here too.
Magic Shop (Main Street): Magic pins and magician/wizard/witch/sorceress-themed items
Shrunken Ned's (Adventureland): Jungle/tropical items
Pieces of Eight (Adventureland): Pirate items
Ghostly Gallery (New Orleans Square): Haunted Mansion and (seasonal) Halloween items
Golden Horseshoe (Frontierland): Old West items
Crocodile Mercantile (Frontierland): Critter Country/Splash Mountain items (including those log flume ride pieces if we ever get them)
"it's a small world" imports (Fantasyland): Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan items (since it's easy to say they've been "imported" from Wonderland and Neverland). Maybe items relating to non-Kingdom parks could go here too.
Castle Shoppe (Fantasyland): Royal and fairytale-related items.
Inner-Space Shop (Tomorrowland): Futuristic items, including outer space stuff even though the name doesn't fit.
Captain Nemo's Trading Post (Tomorrowland): Underwater-themed items

This is just off the top of my head.

disneyfacts

Great ideas!

Sound System

One thing that tends to irk me about the guest rooms is that you can't customize the soundtrack. It's especially noticeable with the Dark Ride Room, where no matter how awesome your theme and its execution, all you have playing in the background are those electrical sizzles. Wouldn't it be great if you could override a room's normal soundtrack with a different one of your choice?

I envision the functional Sound System as two items, actually: one representing the sound equipment itself (and taking up space in the room), and another representing any of several "tapes" (I'm probably dating myself by choosing that term) you can play. Collecting "tapes" could be a project in itself. If you wanted to build a multi-room ride with a consistent soundtrack throughout, each room would require its own Sound System and its own copy of the "tape" in question..
I'd love to do this for the Dark Ride rooms. The other rooms don't seem to be right for customization, but definitely the Dark Ride rooms.

Karalora

Okay, there's got to be a better way to set up our clothing options so that we can change outfits easily. The linear scrolling method is just too frustrating, especially as your collection grows! Here are some possibilities:
* Changing the layout of the sprite customization screen to a grid like the building and trading screens. You could scroll through by pages rather than one item at a time and click the one you want.
* Making it possible to define "outfits" or "ensembles" and select them from a list.
* Making it possible to set aside items of clothing that you don't often wear but don't want to get rid of. Just as some players devote entire rooms to storage of furni that they don't currently have plans for, we should be able to put clothing items into a "wardrobe" for similar storage.

Karalora

I don't know what exactly to call this..."circular pagethrough," maybe? What I mean is that I would like to be able to continue past the last page of, for example, my furniture items, and have it loop back around to the first page. Or vice-versa--to go backwards from the first page to the last. It would certainly make this month easier, what with all the items that start with "Sand" or "Tiki" and hence come late in the alphabetical listing.