Kennel Cough??

D.Va

Literal Princess
Has anyone here had any experience with a dog with kennel cough?? We adopted my Loki two weeks ago from the local Humane Society. She's a five-year-old black lab/border collie mix and she's absolutely wonderful. She started showing symptoms of an illness on Thursday (three days ago) and it's been kinda gross, to be honest. Her eyes are kinda runny and her nose is snotty (not normal, clear, liquid dog snot, but more like thick, yellow people snot), and she sneezes. She hasn't been coughing, which I know is the dead giveaway of kennel cough.

I'm not sure if this is kennel cough? We had her for ten days before she started showing any kind of symptoms, and I know it usually only takes five to seven days for dogs to start showing symptoms. I know her body can fight off the virus if that's what it is, but I'm concerned about her giving it to my other dog.

Anyone have any ideas???

take the dog to an actual professional who can evaluate her and help her, not write a forum post. just an idea

Ang

Un Petit Pamplemousse
Has anyone here had any experience with a dog with kennel cough?? We adopted my Loki two weeks ago from the local Humane Society. She's a five-year-old black lab/border collie mix and she's absolutely wonderful. She started showing symptoms of an illness on Thursday (three days ago) and it's been kinda gross, to be honest. Her eyes are kinda runny and her nose is snotty (not normal, clear, liquid dog snot, but more like thick, yellow people snot), and she sneezes. She hasn't been coughing, which I know is the dead giveaway of kennel cough.

I'm not sure if this is kennel cough? We had her for ten days before she started showing any kind of symptoms, and I know it usually only takes five to seven days for dogs to start showing symptoms. I know her body can fight off the virus if that's what it is, but I'm concerned about her giving it to my other dog.

Anyone have any ideas???
take the dog to an actual professional who can evaluate her and help her, not write a forum post. just an idea
Definitely agree with Lilac. While it sounds like kennel cough, you never know completely (just to be on the safe side). Since you did adopt your dog from a local Humane Society, they occasionally have policies where if the dog becomes sick within the first week or so, they will examine it or take care of it. Look into that first, since vet visits can get quite pricey.

D.Va

Literal Princess
Except I can't afford another vet visit because I just took her to get a bunch of vaccines which was $300 in total. So thank you, but I can't really do that.[DOUBLEPOST=1470493953][/DOUBLEPOST]
Definitely agree with Lilac. While it sounds like kennel cough, you never know completely (just to be on the safe side). Since you did adopt your dog from a local Humane Society, they occasionally have policies where if the dog becomes sick within the first week or so, they will examine it or take care of it. Look into that first, since vet visits can get quite pricey.
They said because she wasn't showing symptoms when we adopted her that there's nothing they can do.

I'm really sorry to hear about Loki :( I have two dogs myself and love them to death. I understand vet visits are quite expensive, especially in your situation since you've spent a decent amount on vaccines recently, too. I can't say I'm positive one of the dogs I have now or have had in the past had kennel cough, but rarely they do get the occasional runny nose and fatigued behavior..I would just wait a few days and hope the signs go away. I'd also try to isolate her from your other dog as much as possible, in case it does turn out to be kennel cough. Hopefully not, but if the signs get worse I'd recommend calling your vet and explaining the situation. Best wishes for Loki :hearts:

Except I can't afford another vet visit because I just took her to get a bunch of vaccines which was $300 in total. So thank you, but I can't really do that.
i don't want to be rude but why adopt a dog if you can't even afford to give it proper care if needed? isn't that a bit selfish seeing as how that dog's life is essentially your responsibility at this point? if you can't afford to see a vet i'd suggest finding a way to atleast contact one to ask your questions, send some pictures, and get a serious, accurate answer. going on a game's forum and asking a general question isn't the way to help your dog. good luck with your pup & hoping the best :halcyon:

D.Va

Literal Princess
I'm really sorry to hear about Loki :( I have two dogs myself and love them to death. I understand vet visits are quite expensive, especially in your situation since you've spent a decent amount on vaccines recently, too. I can't say I'm positive one of the dogs I have now or have had in the past had kennel cough, but rarely they do get the occasional runny nose and fatigued behavior..I would just wait a few days and hope the signs go away. I'd also try to isolate her from your other dog as much as possible, in case it does turn out to be kennel cough. Hopefully not, but if the signs get worse I'd recommend calling your vet and explaining the situation. Best wishes for Loki :hearts:
that's what we're gonna try to do :) thank you![DOUBLEPOST=1470496841][/DOUBLEPOST]
i don't want to be rude but why adopt a dog if you can't even afford to give it proper care if needed? isn't that a bit selfish seeing as how that dog's life is essentially your responsibility at this point? if you can't afford to see a vet i'd suggest finding a way to atleast contact one to ask your questions, send some pictures, and get a serious, accurate answer. going on a game's forum and asking a general question isn't the way to help your dog. good luck with your pup & hoping the best :halcyon:
it's not that i can't afford to have her? i had enough saved up but i didn't realize vaccinations would be so expensive so it's not like i was gonna give her back once i learned she needed them. i just don't make very much money so i can afford routine exams and stuff just not huge payments like that all at once. i already spoke with my vet and asked about it. i just wanted to ask friends who may have gone through something similar with their dogs and had a good way of keeping them comfortable through something like this. it kinda hurts my feelings that you jumped to that immediate conclusion about me. but thank you :halcyon:

By adopting Loki in the first place, she's already saved her life. Not to offend Loki, but a 5 year old dog at a Humane Society is not usually the first pick for a family looking for a dog. D.va's trying her best to take proper care of the dog..she just stated she spent $300 on vaccines. The sickness Loki contracted was unexpected and came at the wrong time financially. There is only so much you can pay for in the amount of time given.

It sounds like kennel cough to me. You need to keep them separated, until it passes. Usually 2 weeks or so. They usually get over it on their own. Wishing you both the best! Thank you for adopting, not shopping.

When I adopted my little pup from a rescue shelter, he ended up having kennel cough for about 2 weeks. We brought him to the vet and they suggested lightly patting his sides like where his lung would be. They said this would help loosen up all the mucus in there. Kinda gross, but seemed to help a bit! Aside from that, we had to give him medication mixed in with his food. He slowly but surely got better. But if your dog shows no signs of getting better, please take her to the vet. :hearts:

I totally understand the expensive vet bills.. I have 3 dogs. All spoiled/loved, but sometimes I cant afford their hundred dollar vet visits... My son was recently born so most of our money goes towards him, but I'd never give up my dogs because of slight financial problems. I have had 2 dogs in my lifetime that have had kennel cough... The only thing that worked for them was antiobiotics from the vet (antibiotics are kind of a must since kennel cough is an infection) and a lot of affection. Like Angel said try to loosen up the mucus.
I would give my dog a tad bit of honey if any of them had a cough... It relieves pain in the throat for both humans and animals..and sometimes helps with coughs...
Also, try to keep all the gunk and stuff out of the animals eyes... Wipe down the dogs face when needed... (I wouldn't like all that on my face so a dog prob wouldn't either)

Try to keep him away from any other animals... Kennel cough is HIGHLY contagious.

Good luck! And I hope your pup gets better. :)

Last edited:

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I totally understand being short on cash. I know the first month we got Mindy it was extremely expensive so for an illness to come up so soon is tough. I know I counted the days until her full pet insurance came into affect and worried about all diseases she could get. We have a great vet that would work out a payment plan if needed. Would your vet be able to do that. The dog probably needs medication. Definitely separate the dogs and toys. Hope your pup gets better soon.

D.Va

Literal Princess
When I adopted my little pup from a rescue shelter, he ended up having kennel cough for about 2 weeks. We brought him to the vet and they suggested lightly patting his sides like where his lung would be. They said this would help loosen up all the mucus in there. Kinda gross, but seemed to help a bit! Aside from that, we had to give him medication mixed in with his food. He slowly but surely got better. But if your dog shows no signs of getting better, please take her to the vet. :hearts:
I totally understand the expensive vet bills.. I have 3 dogs. All spoiled/loved, but sometimes I cant afford their hundred dollar vet visits... My son was recently born so most of our money goes towards him, but I'd never give up my dogs because of slight financial problems. I have had 2 dogs in my lifetime that have had kennel cough... The only thing that worked for them was antiobiotics from the vet (antibiotics are kind of a must since kennel cough is an infection) and a lot of affection. Like Angel said try to loosen up the mucus.
I would give my dog a tad bit of honey if any of them had a cough... It relieves pain in the throat for both humans and animals..and sometimes helps with coughs...
Also, try to keep all the gunk and stuff out of the animals eyes... Wipe down the dogs face when needed... (I wouldn't like all that on my face so a dog prob wouldn't either)

Try to keep him away from any other animals... Kennel cough is HIGHLY contagious.

Good luck! And I hope your pup gets better. :)
I totally understand being short on cash. I know the first month we got Mindy it was extremely expensive so for an illness to come up so soon is tough. I know I counted the days until her full pet insurance came into affect and worried about all diseases she could get. We have a great vet that would work out a payment plan if needed. Would your vet be able to do that. The dog probably needs medication. Definitely separate the dogs and toys. Hope your pup gets better soon.
Thank you all! She seems to be doing just fine. If she didn't have goopy eyes or a snotty nose I would have no idea she was sick! She hasn't been sneezing as much in the last day or so, and the great news is that there's still no coughing. She's eating and drinking normally and everything looks normal when she goes to potty, which is great. No change in behavior at all. I almost wonder if maybe it isn't kennel cough but some kind of doggy cold or something? Everyone I've talked to said she should be coughing if it's kennel cough, and she isn't coughing at all. Anyway, she has a vet appointment this afternoon for another vaccine, so I'll see if they can give me an actual diagnosis and I'll see how much antibiotics will cost if that's what they recommend.

Thanks again for all of your input <3

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
You may want to ask about food allergies. Is she on the same food she was before you got her? Or just allergies. Our Mindy does seem sensitive to certain foods. We also notice the padding in her crate was maybe making her itch. When we put a pillow case over top of the padding she stopped itching. Her nose all ran a bit too.

D.Va

Literal Princess
You may want to ask about food allergies. Is she on the same food she was before you got her? Or just allergies. Our Mindy does seem sensitive to certain foods. We also notice the padding in her crate was maybe making her itch. When we put a pillow case over top of the padding she stopped itching. Her nose all ran a bit too.
She's on different food than she was. We feed her the same stuff we feed Maxwell (our other dog) and it's really high-end pet food, so there isn't much she could be allergic to unless she's allergic to a specific kind of fish or vegetable. It's always a possibility, though! I've just never seen a dog have such severe allergies.

D.Va

Literal Princess
Update! Loki is doing much better! Since she wasn't coughing, I elected not to take her into the vet. She didn't seem unhappy or miserable so I let whatever bug she had work itself out of her system. Her nose and eyes have cleared up considerably! Her nose isn't snotty anymore, and her nasal discharge is clear and watery like it's supposed to be. She still sneezes a little bit but not nearly as much. :)