Laptop help

So, for the past few days my laptop as been freezing a lot, making it very difficult to do almost anything. It's never done this before until I downloaded something kind of shady. I'm not too sure what the download was, I thought it was trusted, since none of my Internet Security things picked up on it saying otherwise. (The things that scans your computer, make sure everything is safe, blocks viruses, all that good stuff.)
Just to be sure, I uninstalled it quickly. Although that was no good cause soon later everything would freeze once every 5 minutes or so.
I thought maybe I could restore my system back to before I ever downloaded that thing, but it doesnt give me that option for whatever reason. (the only option it has is from earlier today, which is no good since the download was 2 days ago.)
Ive scanned all my files, and everything, repairing everything, to no avail.
I have no idea what's causing this, some help would be great! ♥

S

Solar

might not hlp but you can speed up the computer with ccleaner and smart defrag :)
What Mark said is true, but if you have malware on your computer that won't fix it completely. If you have teamviewer I'd be more than happy to connect over remote desktop and help you sometime.

What's your anti-malware set-up? (Norton, McAfee, etc.?)

Scan with MalwareBytes (it has a free version and won't conflict with anything else because it doesn't do any active protection).

I have McAfee, and Verizon Internet security, which I pay for each month.
Still freezing, and not responding every like 10 minutes. It's so annoying. :c
And for whatever reason when I try to scan with McAfee "virusScan not available"

I have McAfee, and Verizon Internet security, which I pay for each month.
Still freezing, and not responding every like 10 minutes. It's so annoying. :c
And for whatever reason when I try to scan with McAfee "virusScan not available"
The "and" scares me, because a lot of anti-malwares conflict with each other if they both do real-time protection. I'm not sure if Verizon and McAfee cooperate, but I'd see about disabling one or the other.

And http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The "and" scares me, because a lot of anti-malwares conflict with each other if they both do real-time protection. I'm not sure if Verizon and McAfee cooperate, but I'd see about disabling one or the other.

And http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Well it doesnt look like McAfee isn't working anymore, so. :/
But thank you, i'll try the link![DOUBLEPOST=1400974108][/DOUBLEPOST]
There is a bug that deletes your McAfee and places a "shell" program in its place. That program does nothing. What you need to do is download Malwarebytes, free version, directly from the website and run it. Use the detailed scan setting and let it run. With your speed issue it might take forever to run but it usually finds the culprit. It should quarantine it and then you can delete it and rerun Malwarebytes to be sure. Then try to run the system restore. This bug blocks your system restore points from showing up so you can't restore it away. I have had this bug on one of my kids computers and it took a good while to fix. Malwarebytes has information on how to fix it on their website but don't bother doing that until you run Malwarebytes first. It will tell you the exact name and version of the bug you need to squish. GL

I just read the above advice and I agree, turn off the verizon program and see what happens. Restore points use parts of internet explorer to render and sometimes conflicts like that can cause the restore points and calendar not to render properly.
Thanks a bunch! I'm downloading malwarebytes right now! (:[DOUBLEPOST=1400974776][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I'm doing a scan on it now, and it keeps blocking a vendor called "Hyperbrowser".
It's blocked it about 5 times already, which is good I guess. But wow.[DOUBLEPOST=1400995453][/DOUBLEPOST]@Mr.GreenGene @Thrill @Solar @Mark You guys are life savers!!! I did the scan on Malwarebytes, and it found about 75 things, I quarantined them, and deleted them and no more freezing!!

Last edited:
S

Solar

I'm glad you got everything working! You should also change your passwords just in case any of your accounts were compromised.