Member Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
Recently, I have noticed a large rise in spam content appearing. I know it's because the forum is public, but it's kinda annoying. I think a good way to prevent spam accounts is by requiring new members to authenticate their accounts with a captcha or something along this line. I think this could help deter spammers from posting on the forums.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I agree with this 100%. I mean if you want to learn how to lose 90 LBS by "clicking this helpful link!" That's fine by me, man. Just don't expect me to help get your bank account back or clear the virous off your computer.

All registrations require a captcha, go through multiple spam databases, require email verification, have multiple inline "gotchas" for bots. Most bots, around 98%, are blocked. The remaining 2% get through, even after the Akismet checks on their post. There's just nothing else I can do in this case and pretty much every forum deals with it.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
All registrations require a captcha, go through multiple spam databases, require email verification, have multiple inline "gotchas" for bots. Most bots, around 98%, are blocked. The remaining 2% get through, even after the Akismet checks on their post. There's just nothing else I can do in this case and pretty much every forum deals with it.
Alright then, sorry if it sounded whiny. Just curious about it.

Thanks Eliz was clearing this up.

No need to apologise ace!

Closing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.