Moving the 2016 Olympic games to London?

Should the games be moved if deemed necessary?

• No! Go on with Rio 2016

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Yes. London 2016 it is.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Yes, but not to London.

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
The 2016 Olympic Summer Games are set to take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. This being said however, reports suggest that Brazil is incredibly behind (only completing 10% of preparations, compared to London's 60% at the same stage), and even struggling with the World Cup. This has caused rumors to surface that the International Olympic Committee has made informal talks with London to see if the 2012 Olympic host city could again re-purpose it's facilities to host the games. The IOC (obviously) denies these claims, stating that the games will go on in Rio as scheduled.

Here's my question to you:
If the facilities in Rio do not seem up to par in enough time for the Olympics, do you think the Olympics should be moved? And if so, should London take the games twice in a row?

If you would like more information on the rumors, there is an article here.

EDIT: The chance that any of this is true, or that it would happen is so incredibly low. Nonetheless, it's still an interesting idea.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I think they should've been in Chicago this whole time. And even if you don't move them to Chicago why London? They just had the last summer games.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
I think they should've been in Chicago this whole time. And even if you don't move them to Chicago why London? They just had the last summer games.
The most probable reason for moving them to London would be exactly because they just had the games. Their facilities would be the easiest and most likely to be reconfigured for Olympic use as there has been less time since the last time they were used for the games.

Exodus

Lol what's up with Brazil trying to host the World Cup and the International Olympic... uhm the preparations there are being slacked off... they've shown signs of not being ready for for a herd of tourists more than anything for the upcoming FIFA World Cup.

If moving it over to London would be more cost effective and definitely less of a burden on Brazil, why not? Or hand it over to Amurica, I'm sure we can beef up something nice within two years.

iamabigdisfan

I say yes, but not London. I feel it's to soon for them to host again. Maybe Atlanta Georgia USA (1996) or Sydney Australia (2000). Years in parentheses are year they hosted summer olympics

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I think London would work to host the Olympics again. They have the facilities well maintained enough, it might work out. I just want Park City to host the Winter Olympics again soon

I may be wrong but, hasn't the Olympic Village accommodation been sold to the public? You would probably have issues with accommodating athletes in the unlikely chance they did move to London.

If they actually need to be moved, it's going to be London again or China. London is fresh off the last summer games, and would basically only need an Olympic Village. China is China, and they can probably whip up Olympic facilities in literally any city on short notice. If for whatever reason even China cannot build multiple arenas and the like within a couple of years, Bejing hosted only a few years ago.

That said, Brazil has a lot riding on this. I think they'll find a way. And if not, London 2016 sounds like a blast. Felt like I understood the opening and closing ceremonies last time around because half of American culture is just stolen from Britain.