NPAPI Plugin Support

I'm not entirely sure if this would be the best place to post this question, but it seems like a good place to start. On October 8, 2015, Mozilla (makers of Firefox) posted on their blog that they would be removing support for most NPAPI plugins from Firefox by the end of 2016. The most notable exception is Adobe Flash Player, which still has a strong presence on the Web. Mozilla isn't the only company dropping NPAPI either; Microsoft removed NPAPI support from IE starting with version 5.5 and moved away from ActiveX with Edge in Windows 10, and Google dropped NPAPI in Chrome this past September. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the Web as to whether or not Shockwave Player is an NPAPI plugin, so I thought I'd ask here if this affects MyVMK in any way and if so, how.

The following is a link to the article on arstechnica. There's also a link in the article back to Mozilla's blog post:
http://arstechnica.com/information-...i-plugins-by-the-end-of-2016except-for-flash/

Thank you for sharing this! I didn't know this was happening so I appreciate you giving information to us. There's nothing I can suggest or advise you to do, but I wanted to thank you :)

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
I'm not entirely sure if this would be the best place to post this question, but it seems like a good place to start. On October 8, 2015, Mozilla (makers of Firefox) posted on their blog that they would be removing support for most NPAPI plugins from Firefox by the end of 2016. The most notable exception is Adobe Flash Player, which still has a strong presence on the Web. Mozilla isn't the only company dropping NPAPI either; Microsoft removed NPAPI support from IE starting with version 5.5 and moved away from ActiveX with Edge in Windows 10, and Google dropped NPAPI in Chrome this past September. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the Web as to whether or not Shockwave Player is an NPAPI plugin, so I thought I'd ask here if this affects MyVMK in any way and if so, how.

The following is a link to the article on arstechnica. There's also a link in the article back to Mozilla's blog post:
http://arstechnica.com/information-...i-plugins-by-the-end-of-2016except-for-flash/
Shockwave is indeed an NPAPI plugin, which is why MyVMK does not work in Chrome. You can avoid having problems with MyVMK by either using an older version of your web browser of choice (that still supports NPAPI) or by using myVMKPal as there is no intention to remove NPAPI support in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the tip, kolyaventuri. I'm downloading MyVMKPal right now and will give it a try. Firefox works for now of course; I'm just concerned about the future. I guess my next concern would be that, once every major Web browser drops NPAPI support, Adobe would have no incentive to continue developing Shockwave or to continue releasing security updates for whatever version becomes the last. One quick question about MyVMKPal though; is MyVMKPal a standalone application, or is it a wrapper for another Web browser like Internet Explorer?

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Thanks for the tip, kolyaventuri. I'm downloading MyVMKPal right now and will give it a try. Firefox works for now of course; I'm just concerned about the future. I guess my next concern would be that, once every major Web browser drops NPAPI support, Adobe would have no incentive to continue developing Shockwave or to continue releasing security updates for whatever version becomes the last. One quick question about MyVMKPal though; is MyVMKPal a standalone application, or is it a wrapper for another Web browser like Internet Explorer?
MyVMKPal uses a self-contained web browser. In essence, it runs its own version of Google Chrome.

JoyArlene

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I have been using MYVMKPal ever since it became available. All of a sudden today all I get is a box saying "unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. The remote server returned an error: (502) Bad Gateway." Even when I click the "download" link above it says 502 bad gateway. I am LOST without Pal lol it is SO much easier to use than a browser and the size is great, when I logged in using a browser it is so tiny I can barely see the names in my friends list. Please somebody fix it lol I did a search for MyVmkPal and every link says the same thing 502 Bad Gateway.......... Thanks for any help anyone can be. Joy

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I have been using MYVMKPal ever since it became available. All of a sudden today all I get is a box saying "unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. The remote server returned an error: (502) Bad Gateway." Even when I click the "download" link above it says 502 bad gateway. I am LOST without Pal lol it is SO much easier to use than a browser and the size is great, when I logged in using a browser it is so tiny I can barely see the names in my friends list. Please somebody fix it lol I did a search for MyVmkPal and every link says the same thing 502 Bad Gateway.......... Thanks for any help anyone can be. Joy
It should be fixed now. I'm taking a look into what caused it.