Persuasive Speech Competition...

Hey guys! I'm going to be competing in an oratory competition in march and I'm still having trouble choosing a topic.

Abortion, alcohol, drugs, same-sex marriage... It's all overdone, to be perfectly honest.

I need something new, something strange.

I've written one on why the elderly shouldn't drive.
Why firetrucks could be yellow.
Why Optimus Prime is better than Captain America.

I want something good. I have never asked anyone for a topic before, as I'm good at coming up with them on my own... But right now, I'm stumped. If you guys have any thoughts/suggestions, let me know. It'd be much appreciated.

Whispered

Any further regulations I should know about? If not, here's a few ideas:

Why (insert TV show, Spongebob probably has the most examples and/or is most well known) is polluting our children's minds
Why we should (raise/lower) the (insert privilege) age to (insert lower age).

They aren't the best, but the first one could be really fun imo.

Good luck by the way!

Some ideas:

Why children shouldn't be introduced to electronics at such an early age
Why people should start using mechanical pencils more than wood pencils (or vice versa)
Why raising hands on a roller-coaster should get you in trouble
Why teleportation isn't (or shouldn't be) possible (or time travel)
Why artificial dyes shouldn't be used in food to make kids want to get them
Why candy shouldn't be introduced to a child until age (whatever)

Hope these help! :)

First off, the why the elderly shouldn't drive thing is my favorite thing to persuade. Second, I've done a persuasive speech on why people shouldn't support zoos. But that's a viewpoint thing.

Yurgle

Why Michelle Obama is a better role model then Brittney Spears.

Why the driving age should be higher

Why standardized tests should be killed/why they aren't useful (or vice versa, why they ARE good)

The effects professional sports have on young men (Dreaming to be athletes, devoting their young lives)

How the internet is hurting our youth

Why social media is bad, because it takes away real social interaction

You guys are great! I'm liking the professional video gaming... Cuz if that became a sport, I could totally enter the olympic level for halo or gears ;)

This is really helping. I'm not feeling it just yet. I don't want to be picky, but I hope you guys understand... it kinda just clicks when you have the right topic, ya know? But it's close. I can feel it.

I know what you mean by all those overdone speech topics. I had a speech class last year and a lot of those topics were done in class and are definitely overdone. When I did a persuasive speech, I did it on why the death penalty should be removed. Personally, I really liked that one. If that's not interesting though, you could always look up persuasive speech topics.

I think a paper about video games as an art form would be interesting, perhaps arguing that it's the natural evolution of cinema, or that they are two distinct and separate mediums, with advantages and disadvantages to each, and neither is a natural evolution of the other in terms of overall superiority and versatility.

Plenty of obscure political topics too. Could always moonlight an interesting issue.