Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing i mainly do not like is how it was delayed 15 minutes before release twice. I was under the impression after the second delay, it would be out with a few days. How does it take over 2 months to complete something that should have only taken a week?
Amy created a thread on the forums explaining that she was not positive on how much longer it was going to take since many problems occurred when coding. We do not know how long these things take, pirates is the most difficult out of the games to code since it is multiplayer (I know that much). That being said, it will release when it is ready.

-Snow

my question being; how much progress has been made and when can we expect it to be out
I do not have those answers, that is something only Amy can consider giving, however, I can assure you it is not being ignored. The problem with even giving assumptions is that players will take it as an official release so please respect that there may not be an announcement. My advice: Focus on what is out, rather than what is not.

-Snow

Bindingkey

The fact of the matter is this: We all waited how many years for VMK to even be successfully brought back? Disney had the means to get the production of VMK done in a timely manner, they were paid employees doing this. Now, considering that, Amy takes time out of her life to code things for a virtual game we all know and love, just out of love for what she is doing. All of the MyVMK staff are voluntary, we do this for our players. That being said, if we can wait I believe it was 6 years for a successful VMK recreation, I think we can learn to be patient for pirates. I agree that it can be frustrating, however, we are not the ones coding the game, we have not a clue what it entails.

-Snow
Okay, but how many times has this been used to make us stop vocalizing minor annoyance? The brunt of the outbursts came MONTHS ago, if anyone is complaining on the forums it's just playful bantering, which is what the majority of this thread is, even my reply was more teasing than being critical. Getting defensive every time people speak out on the issue isn't a productive way to go about it.

We know about Amy's struggles. We know you're trying your best. This isn't about what you are or are not doing. We're allowed, as members of a community, to have our problems with the issues we're facing. It doesn't make us any less grateful of Amy and the staff.

Okay, but how many times has this been used to make us stop vocalizing minor annoyance? The brunt of the outbursts came MONTHS ago, if anyone is complaining on the forums it's just playful bantering, which is what the majority of this thread is, even my reply was more teasing than being critical. Getting defensive every time people speak out on the issue isn't a productive way to go about it.

We know about Amy's struggles. We know you're trying your best. This isn't about what you are or are not doing. We're allowed, as members of a community, to have our problems with the issues we're facing. It doesn't make us any less grateful of Amy and the staff.
I understand and I apologize, you are entitled to your frustration on the matter. I just wanted to put into perspective a different side that we might not always be consider. I know little about coding so the fact so much has been restored already is quite honestly amazing. :)

-Snow

Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't POTC supposed to be super close to being finished? That's why we had the timer and all the hype about the mini game right? So I'm assuming it's was like 95-98% done. Now, why is it taking 2 months to finish it? Are we back pedaling? Are we putting a halt to the progress of the game? Are we starting over from scratch? Has someone lost motivation to finish the mini game?

I just think many in the community would like to know. We are not being ungrateful or not understanding. We just feel like there's this gap in our hearts that was supposed to be filled by POTC. Sort of like putting candy in front of a baby and taking it away and now we're left wondering where that candy is. And all we think about is that candy.

I hope the staff understand it's only human nature that we're curious about what's happening with POTC. (As well as Monsters Inc. Teleporters & Quest Kiosks)

Last edited:

iSunset

Why is everyone being so mean to Amy and Snow on this thread.. Like its a game, its not running your life. It will come out when it comes out.
Just stop with all the negative feedback and be happy and grateful we actually have VMK back!!
Remember this isn't run by Disney anymore, and I give staff a lot of credit to what they have done and continue to do for us.

If you want to push all your negative opinions on Staff after all they have done, its just being a bully on here and is not right. Just respect them in that matter and be patient instead of complaining everyday. Complaining and being mean to them isn't going to make pirates come out any sooner. I'm sure if Amy had details on how it is working she's keeping them to herself because this is what happens. She prob doesn't want to answer any of your questions because she doesn't want to let you guys down anymore. Cause can you blame her?
We are all waiting for something like this, Things take time.

Now I'm not saying its wrong to be curious, but the things I've read in response to what Amy and Snow posted is upsetting. They have lives too.

Tbh y'all gotta turn down. Once Pirates comes out, you're going to be wanting the next thing, or pushing for new things to come out. I know personally, I will play POTC probably once, have a major throwback, and just sit in trade rooms except for the days of double credits. Many people are going to be excited when it comes out, but it's going to die down, and not everyone will even play. Sure, say you're going to play all day every day... but I guarantee you will not. This is a virtual game. Let's all remember that. I have to give it to Amy and Snow, and all of staff for that matter, for all of these negative comments, they're voluntarily participating in creating this game for literally no reason. Keep being nasty, and you'll have no game. Just remember you're yearning for a virtual game within another virtual game. You're all getting heated about that. I really hope y'all realize that that's dumb. There's no reason to be rude, mean, or anything. We're not paying for this, it's their dedication that allows us to reminisce in VMK. Without them, we wouldn't have it.
Let me just reiterate again: You're being rude to volunteers who are providing a fun nostalgic service to you, because you are awaiting a virtual game... within a virtual game. gg.
Also--- it's okay to be like hey what's going on??? but to be rude about it is another thing. The staff all have lives and this isn't their job. They aren't being paid. They have all the same problems you do, so they cannot dedicate all of their time to this game.

(this isn't aimed at anyone in particular)

I'm trying to figure out how someone expressing a negative but civil opinion toward an unresolved matter suddenly makes that individual disrespectful and ungrateful for the return of MyVMK.
It doesn't. :shrug:

I can't vouch for any previous threads/posts on this subject as I haven't kept up with it, but I see nothing inappropriate about the behavior in this thread (the thread started with curiosity, not negativity). Defending the issue is no different/better than those who speak negatively about it. Whether it good or bad, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are too, of course, but those who respectfully criticize shouldn't be chastised for doing so. Regardless of the game being free and made up of volunteers, nothing will improve unless the community actively express their concerns. We're the reason they work so hard to "bring back the magic", are we not? They need to know how we feel.

Jasmine

(this isn't aimed at anyone in particular)

I'm trying to figure out how someone expressing a negative but civil opinion toward an unresolved matter suddenly makes that individual disrespectful and ungrateful for the return of MyVMK.
It doesn't. :shrug:

I can't vouch for any previous threads/posts on this subject as I haven't kept up with it, but I see nothing inappropriate about the behavior in this thread. Defending the issue is no different/better than those who speak negatively about it. Whether it good or bad, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are too, of course, but those who respectfully criticize shouldn't be chastised for doing so. Regardless of the game being free and made up of volunteers, nothing will improve unless the community actively express their concerns. We're the reason they work so hard to "bring back the magic", are we not? They need to know how we feel.
Exactly. I'd also like to add that it's completely unnecessary of those who keep telling people to "be grateful." Who are you to make an assumption that someone isn't grateful because they rightfully question something that is wrong? If anything, those who keep reiterating that same phrase in all these threads need to calm down. If you can't take questions or criticisms that aren't even aimed at you, then you need to step back for a minute and think about why you're upset about something that doesn't involve you.

Volunteering is not an excuse. People who keep using that must not have ever volunteered anywhere, I guess? I volunteered at my local library for two summers and you know what? We were treated like paid employees, only guess what? We weren't being paid. You'll find similar experiences with most volunteer positions. If someone hires you (or in this case, you give yourself a duty), certain expectations are going to be expected from you. One of which, might I add is probably the most important, is the ability to communicate efficiently, which is obviously lacking on here. Yet again, that's what people are asking for once again - more and open communication. And I'm not even blaming staff members who don't have any updates to give, but I personally find that very sad. Important updates like ones pertaining to pirates and other aspects of the game shouldn't be known by only one person... I mean it's called a "staff team" for a reason, right? I think that's another problem people have, honestly. The fact that updates that should be able to be given never seem to be able to because most staff members seem to know as much as we do about these kinds of things. :shrug:

Bindingkey

Why is everyone being so mean to Amy and Snow on this thread.. Like its a game, its not running your life. It will come out when it comes out.
Just stop with all the negative feedback and be happy and grateful we actually have VMK back!!
Remember this isn't run by Disney anymore, and I give staff a lot of credit to what they have done and continue to do for us.

If you want to push all your negative opinions on Staff after all they have done, its just being a bully on here and is not right. Just respect them in that matter and be patient instead of complaining everyday. Complaining and being mean to them isn't going to make pirates come out any sooner. I'm sure if Amy had details on how it is working she's keeping them to herself because this is what happens. She prob doesn't want to answer any of your questions because she doesn't want to let you guys down anymore. Cause can you blame her?
We are all waiting for something like this, Things take time.

Now I'm not saying its wrong to be curious, but the things I've read in response to what Amy and Snow posted is upsetting. They have lives too.
Tbh y'all gotta turn down. Once Pirates comes out, you're going to be wanting the next thing, or pushing for new things to come out. I know personally, I will play POTC probably once, have a major throwback, and just sit in trade rooms except for the days of double credits. Many people are going to be excited when it comes out, but it's going to die down, and not everyone will even play. Sure, say you're going to play all day every day... but I guarantee you will not. This is a virtual game. Let's all remember that. I have to give it to Amy and Snow, and all of staff for that matter, for all of these negative comments, they're voluntarily participating in creating this game for literally no reason. Keep being nasty, and you'll have no game. Just remember you're yearning for a virtual game within another virtual game. You're all getting heated about that. I really hope y'all realize that that's dumb. There's no reason to be rude, mean, or anything. We're not paying for this, it's their dedication that allows us to reminisce in VMK. Without them, we wouldn't have it.
Let me just reiterate again: You're being rude to volunteers who are providing a fun nostalgic service to you, because you are awaiting a virtual game... within a virtual game. gg.
Also--- it's okay to be like hey what's going on??? but to be rude about it is another thing. The staff all have lives and this isn't their job. They aren't being paid. They have all the same problems you do, so they cannot dedicate all of their time to this game.
having concerns for something does not mean we're not grateful for what the staff has done for us.

If constant and unending positivity is how you describe gratefulness then you need a reality check. If you care about something you don't just not say anything to amount to its progress. There has been obvious negativity when it comes to the early drama with Pirates, but this thread is by far the least negative on the issue in the forum's existence.

people expressing concerns and rashly worded opinions =/= negative and unproductive criticism

It's because we do care for the game and the staff that we make our concerns blatant. We're very grateful that this game has been brought back, a lot of memories have been with this game. But at some point, we need communication from someone. A system to let us know what's going on and we've been in the dark for weeks. We have every right to be concerned about this, especially since the game was promised months ago and we were also promised to be updated so it's not as if it's something coming up out of nowhere for no reason.

And if I see one more "it's just a game" stg I will slap someone so hard they'll be sent to a different planet. Get off your high horse, people are just as allowed to be passionate about whatever they choose. I don't intend to sound "mean", but I've heard this statement WAY too much and it's so ignorant and rude like who are you tell me I'm too involved with the progress of this community. Seriously. Don't tell me to calm down.

Bottomline, I care about this game. We ALL care about this game. Don't get defensive and tell me I'm crushing on your bubble of neutrality. I'm so sorry but the world and its virtual counterpart doesn't revolve around nothing but positivity and displaced engagement. Some people care in a separated sense, while others care on an engaged level and you're not one to tell me to back off cause I'm being too critical. If I'm being "critical" and "mean" it's because I care and you don't get the right to tell me to stop. Sorry, but that's how equality works.

I always felt that there is a lack of communication between staff and players, there's a lot of information we were never informed on and in order to be informed we have to make threads (like this). It's gotten a little bit better with the new log, but that doesn't really tell us what's going on outside of what's added to the game.

iSunset

having concerns for something does not mean we're not grateful for what the staff has done for us.

If constant and unending positivity is how you describe gratefulness then you need a reality check. If you care about something you don't just not say anything to amount to its progress. There has been obvious negativity when it comes to the early drama with Pirates, but this thread is by far the least negative on the issue in the forum's existence.

people expressing concerns and rashly worded opinions =/= negative and unproductive criticism

It's because we do care for the game and the staff that we make our concerns blatant. We're very grateful that this game has been brought back, a lot of memories have been with this game. But at some point, we need communication from someone. A system to let us know what's going on and we've been in the dark for weeks. We have every right to be concerned about this, especially since the game was promised months ago and we were also promised to be updated so it's not as if it's something coming up out of nowhere for no reason.

And if I see one more "it's just a game" stg I will slap someone so hard they'll be sent to a different planet. Get off your high horse, people are just as allowed to be passionate about whatever they choose. I don't intend to sound "mean", but I've heard this statement WAY too much and it's so ignorant and rude like who are you tell me I'm too involved with the progress of this community. Seriously. Don't tell me to calm down.

Bottomline, I care about this game. We ALL care about this game. Don't get defensive and tell me I'm crushing on your bubble of neutrality. I'm so sorry but the world and its virtual counterpart doesn't revolve around nothing but positivity and displaced engagement. Some people care in a separated sense, while others care on an engaged level and you're not one to tell me to back off cause I'm being too critical. If I'm being "critical" and "mean" it's because I care and you don't get the right to tell me to stop. Sorry, but that's how equality works.
All I'm going to say to you is, Don't put words in other peoples mouths and threaten harm on someone if they say something that's true at the end of the day.

Me an Her stood up for Staff because they deserve that. That is all.

Bindingkey

All I'm going to say to you is, Don't put words in other peoples mouths and threaten harm on someone if they say something that's true at the end of the day.

Me an Her stood up for Staff because they deserve that. That is all.
I'm not even going to humor this with an actual response and leave it at you are taking two points of my comment blatantly out of context in order to make me look bad.

I will not be responding to any reply you make from this, so please don't try.

S

Solar

I really want pirates to come out too but I usually just try to take the mature route and play another game while I wait... Instead of complaining. Amy has more going on in life than a game she makes no revenue on, cut her some slack. Yeah it sucks that deadlines were not met but these things happen. Let's move on.

Edit: also I don't think the OP meant to turn this into a big deal. Eveyone just needs to be respectful and not let this become a rant thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

xWombat

I do not have those answers, that is something only Amy can consider giving, however, I can assure you it is not being ignored. The problem with even giving assumptions is that players will take it as an official release so please respect that there may not be an announcement. My advice: Focus on what is out, rather than what is not.

-Snow
I'm just curious on why amy isn't answering in this thread if she's the only one with the answers. All we want is to be updated on its progress.

Amy

Head Administrator
the thing i mainly do not like is how it was delayed 15 minutes before release twice. I was under the impression after the second delay, it would be out with a few days. How does it take over 2 months to complete something that should have only taken a week?
I have a lot going on right now, and I have a problem where I tend to either vastly under or over estimate the amount of time it takes to do something. I haven't been able to work on pirates that much lately, and I understand you were promised it and that it's a game you enjoy, but please just give me time. We have some nice stuff planned soon, so for now just look forward to that - I'll give you all an update on pirates soon, but we have to wait for now. :)

I have a lot going on right now, and I have a problem where I tend to either vastly under or over estimate the amount of time it takes to do something. I haven't been able to work on pirates that much lately, and I understand you were promised it and that it's a game you enjoy, but please just give me time. We have some nice stuff planned soon, so for now just look forward to that - I'll give you all an update on pirates soon, but we have to wait for now. :)
Thank you for letting us know the progress of the game. At least we have an idea about where it's at :) looking forward to what you have planned for us!

xWombat

That's all we wanted was that :) thank you for letting us know

This is exactly what I am talking about: "We have to wait for now." ......3 months later. I'm sick of the pity party. The "nice stuff planned soon" is probably another stupid crates that has un-rare items in them. It's honestly pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.