Possible Public Rooms?

What do you think about these public rooms?

• Total voters

MGMT

Here are 3 Public Rooms I made for OVMK. The one that took the longest was the Hercules Zeus Public Room. The rooms use art from the Disney Movies that I edited in photoshop. What do you guys think? :)
Zeus Public Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbF16LU_jfY
Zeus could be an NPC that you click and you obviously get credits, but every once in a blue moon, you can get the Hercules God Medallion(as seen in the pic below) It could be awarded to every so many people every many hours,etc.

Hunchback of Notre Dame Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVOCLE0h6w

Tarzan Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwaJzd6a5XU

Wow these are amazing! Where would you suggest they be placed in the kingdom though? I'd love to see more disney movie themed rooms too but I can't figure out where they would go unless maybe we made a new map for movie locations? That might be cool since they're not technically in the Magic Kingdom.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
{You sir, are incredibly talented! Kudos to you! Your work is simply flawless. These must be put into the game!

:thumbsup:

-Tessa?

Okay, I don't like to be the bad guy, but VMK is based off of Disney parks. Not the movies. I'd be fine with seeing more things appear, like a Carrousel of Progress room, but I don't want Public rooms based on movies. That's not what VMK was about. If it's not in one of the parks, or based on the idea of VMK being a park, it's not a valid public room IMO. It's hard to put this into any real rule, but go through VMK. There are absolutely zero public rooms that were based off of a movie. Items? Sure. I'd love more items from the movies. Guest rooms? Sure, they did that a lot.

Think before you suggest. Be a critic to your ideas.Does what I think should be in here fit with the overarching idea of VMK, keeping in mind the key factors that have changed (IE players age has risen, which would change how decisions would be handled)? If the answer is no, you should probably reanalyze your idea. I'd love to see a Star Tours room, which makes a lot of sense compared to those rooms under the thought that VMK was based on DLR's Magic Kingdom, but when I actually analyze the idea, I ask myself, where would it go? Tommorrowland. Does Star Tours fit in VMK's Tomorrowland? The answer there is no, unfortunately, so no matter how cool the idea is, it would be doomed to be out of place, because the space themed area of Tomorrowland is a distinct entity, and wouldn't work with Star Tours. So no go there. Carrousel of Progress fits better for sure, though still a bit out of place. Does this mean we shouldn't have Star Wars items? No. VMK added Pixar items, so we know they weren't against use of subsidiary companies for costumes or pins.

I'd love to see Disney stuff used more in those areas. Quite excited to see what people come up with! Which brings me to your idea. They're neat ideas, and I'd be interested in seeing them as guest rooms if they were tweaked to be more VMK like in style. But as Public Rooms on the map, I'd be staunchly opposed. They just wouldn't fit. Never can fit, and any attempt to make them fit would doom them to being shoehorned in in a section with a weird amalgam of ideas that make no sense, but they were cool, so we threw them here where 10 unlike rooms, of no real theme are smashed together for the sake of having them in. It's a disservice to VMK, and a disservice the rooms.I encourage people to think beyond the does this look cool factor.

I like them all, but I feel they aren't really up to par with VMK's rooms. They are all very nice, definitely the best fan-made VMK rooms I've seen, but I think they would all need some tweaking before they were put into MMK.

The Hunchback one is my personal favorite, I think it would be great if it had furniture in it, and maybe Esmeralda's pet goat animated off to the side, just to make it feel more alive like the town square in HoND.

The Tarzan one I feel would be better suited for a guest room, but at the same time it doesn't really have enough floorspace for one. Then again, the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room and the Outer Space room were also pretty small and were fine as guest rooms, it could work I think.

Zeus' Temple I like, but the clouds seem weird. The temple itself and the sky are great (especially with the Hercules constellation, it's a very nice touch) but I don't think the clouds work very well. Maybe if they were just a bit darker and more fluffy/curly like they are in the film?

But they are all still really great, even if you didn't change them. It's obvious that you put a lot of thought and effort into these, and it's nice that you used Disney films that are often overlooked (well, maybe Hercules isn't so much, but Tarzan and Hunchback are) Great work! :)

Okay, now I've told you why I don't like the idea to begin with. I haven't said one of my issues with the designs. Look at VMK rooms, not just one or two, but as a whole. Let's grab the ones you see people hanging out in a lot, and drop the ones we rarely visited, except for quest. Notice anything about how the rooms are setup? I'll tell you. There are almost no VMK rooms like the Tarzan and Zeus ones. The rooms are almost always in a certain perspective. You rarely see the bottom half being so central to where people walk, and when you do, almost universally, they come in from the side, which I can only guess is to ensure almost always, characters will be in their side views or front views, rather than walking in and being place in a rear view. You do it like it's pictured in your designs, and there's little room for avatars to work with. They can't easily do anything movement wise, as almost 2/3 of the room is spent on forcing your theme. It's not organic. The Hunchback room is my favorite among them, as it works well on a design level. Only about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the room is spent on the theme, go your good there.. It's layed out nicely, people could easily enter from the top, and move down, so there's room for people to get around and look pretty, so it works there too. On almost every level, it makes sense, besides being out of place on VMK. Good on you if you made it. I'd be interested to see what you could do in the future.

I do like these rooms, and they do seem like they would fit nicely in the game but VMK is baed off of Disney parks, not the movies. I just feel like it would be so random to go from Main Street into Tarzan's jungle. If there were new rooms added I feel like they should be more focused on parks.

Shrimp

They are really awesome! They'd be PERFECT for VMK if only they had a Disney connection :( PLEASE KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK AND MAKE MORE!

Aurora said:
I do like these rooms, and they do seem like they would fit nicely in the game but VMK is baed off of Disney parks, not the movies. I just feel like it would be so random to go from Main Street into Tarzan's jungle. If there were new rooms added I feel like they should be more focused on parks.
I do agree that movie rooms being public does not fit with the current layout of the game. I read of an idea to create another section to the park and although it is still in the future, I kinda like the idea of another world area....Disney Movies. That would open up all new room ideas, themes, furniture & costuming/hats. Granted we could do the items without the rooms, but it is nice to be able to have a room match the same theme as the items.

Vary said:
Aurora said:
I do agree that movie rooms being public does not fit with the current layout of the game. I read of an idea to create another section to the park and although it is still in the future, I kinda like the idea of another world area....Disney Movies. That would open up all new room ideas, themes, furniture & costuming/hats. Granted we could do the items without the rooms, but it is nice to be able to have a room match the same theme as the items.
Eh. Even then you have issues with how the rooms would interrelate. The only real way to do this is to make AdvertisingLand, with one hub area advertising each other. Currently, you can get to most every room by walking around, namely because they are all theoretically supposed to be in one world. If you have a movies land, it's completely seperate. It's not part of the land of VMK. Where would each rooms exits lead? Are we just gonna randomly throw one area from each world in? Some worlds are more deserving than others of translation to a set of rooms. Atlatnis the Lost Empire for example. It has plenty of areas that would translate well to VMK, and be a series of connected rooms. Star Wars has this too. Most of the animated canon jumps around a lot location wise, so it creates problems in that regard. I think anyway you slice it, it doesn't make sense. You'd need to create a whole new land for each movie for it to fit the idea of a public room. Star Wars and Marvel both have this, but I don't know that I'd want them to be lands, at least until we have actual fully realized areas in the parks.
To the original poster, could you make rooms based on New Fantasyland (2 or 3) or Toon Town/Liberty Square? I'd be quite interested in that being tested, as it seems to balence what these were trying, with the actual idea of VMK. I'd love to see how you'd want them added to the maps, how they'd connect with existing rooms, and how you adapt them to VMK's distinct style.

I do get what you are saying and I agree to a certain extent. It can't be done with just putting it next to Tomorrowland necessarily. But with all the talent and inventive ideas on this forum....I seriously believe the concept could be taken on and successfully done.

For example, WDW was a very complete place and then they added ToonTown. That took me a while for me to get used to. There is nothing wrong with expanding the game eventually ......... maybe on the main page have some type of travel system like a monorail which would bring you to another entire option of worlds like Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom.....(just thinking on keyboard here).

I know it would be way in the future, but hey this kind of chatter can spark the imagination. :)

Justin

Assuming these are all public rooms.. I think they sorta feel disjointed.
Why not give guest rooms a try?
You clearly are very talented and i'm looking forward to other future designs.
Public rooms need to have a connection with one of the many lands.