Pre-registration

Jasmine

eevee said:
Not to be rude, but Jess/Jessica are pretty common names, and a lot of people liked using their real life names in OVMK. It shouldn't really be too upsetting/surprising that someone got that name before you did, since it seemed pretty popular in OVMK (I saw Jess., JessJ, and Jess, I would think there was a Jessie and Jessica, too, but I didn't see them)

The forums and game itself are separate things, and it would be pretty ridiculous if someone took, say, AthleticAisha in game who wasn't AthleticAisha on the forums, since that's a unique name, but names like Jess, eevee, etc, are different since they are already popular and well known things

This wasn't worded very well, but I think I got my point across? I didn't mean to sound rude, it's just that there's a difference between an already well known name and a name someone made up unique to themselves.

That being said, I don't think we should be able to reserve names before the game is open, that just makes it more complicated than it has to be and could potentially cause fighting. If you don't get the name you want, there are always lots of other options, like a Disney character or an animal or object. Make sure to have backup names you like in case you don't get the one you really want.
No, I understand that. The wasn't the point of the post -- the point was that a lot of people's names were taken, even if it was unusual. I remember Princess_Stitch talking about how she couldn't use her name at all, so she went with another one completely. Obviously Jess is common, but I think the main problem was that there was a registration bug, seeing as many names weren't allowed. I created my character rather early on too, so my name should have been safe. It didn't really matter though; I was perfectly willing to keep JessJ, though I prefer just Jess. :P

i don't agree on the idea of reserving a name..never heard of that in any other video game. should be fair for all - first come first serve basis. this community is not that large.

Amy

Head Administrator
DocHT said:
It would be great to pre-register for user names before the game opens, so we'll all be ready for Day One! Does anyone know if that is part of the plan? After seeing the pictures of the fireworks game and the dragon, my friends and I are getting pretty stoked!
It's not really needed. I haven't announced an opening day/time because I don't want it to get swamped in the same way OVMK did, that was a nightmare. It'll just pop up suddenly... very soon :)

Amy said:
DocHT said:
It would be great to pre-register for user names before the game opens, so we'll all be ready for Day One! Does anyone know if that is part of the plan? After seeing the pictures of the fireworks game and the dragon, my friends and I are getting pretty stoked!
It's not really needed. I haven't announced an opening day/time because I don't want it to get swamped in the same way OVMK did, that was a nightmare. It'll just pop up suddenly... very soon :)
well i am super excited for that

katie

Sputnikpotato

The preregistration would take up a lot of needed server room for the game. I honestly think it would be easier just to have small portions of open enrollments. This would work better than a massive enrollment like OVMK where people kept timing out. I am really excited that Amy is taking the steps to make this right.

Sidenote* DocHT I think we new new each other in the original VMK...Glad to see old friends still love VMK as much as I do. :)

Sputnikpotato said:
The preregistration would take up a lot of needed server room for the game. I honestly think it would be easier just to have small portions of open enrollments. This would work better than a massive enrollment like OVMK where people kept timing out. I am really excited that Amy is taking the steps to make this right.

Sidenote* DocHT I think we new new each other in the original VMK...Glad to see old friends still love VMK as much as I do. :)

We certainly did!! So glad to see you and all of my old friends again! I am super excited for the new game to open and have been stalking this forum all day for an announcement. I hope we run into each other soon in the game!

Amy said:
DocHT said:
Ah! Stop it Amy! The anticipation is too much!

I feel like i'm at a starting line and you're holding the gun in the air for us to start but we don't know when you'll pull the trigger! So we're all on our toes! lol

Cat

Amy said:
DocHT said:
Ahhh this makes me very very nervous s:
What if it's today?!
I won't be home until late! Ahhh.
What I wouldn't give to be sick right now

I think pre-reg is a great idea. Personally, I think it is best if people use their forum name for their in-game name, or vice versa. That way we can recognise each other quicker.

Amy said:
DocHT said:
...Good to know. I hope it's later in the afternoon though 'cause I'd really like to be able to get in. :P

Amy said:
DocHT said:
:thumbsup:

Though, I do somewhat feel you guys are dropping 'today' hints, and are making me very antsy. :P

I would love to be there from Day 1, I missed out too much and I'm mostly late...sigh...

BUT Dang, I'm so excited that I can't wait much longer.
I'm usually patient and I understand with a little patience you can get more than with a messed up game...

So, I'm hoping I will find out asap... ;)

relizabeth

Amy said:
DocHT said:
Dont you at least need to give us a web address or no one will be on. If you have to tell us when it is at least up. I understand you dont want there to be a big rush. Also some people that cant be on every second of the day wont know that its up and will then not be able to get the first day pin. I say at least tell us a day. You dont have to say a certain time though.