Race

Does race play a role in your first impression of someone?

• Not at all

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Not very much

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Kinda

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • A lot.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Whispered

Feel free to not answer, or to debate it, whatever.

Do you feel that someone's race plays an impact on your view of them when you first meet them? If so, how much?

allison

For me, it doesn't. I really don't care what race another person is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasmine

For me, it doesn't. I really don't care what race another person is.

Gonna agree with this. I was pretty much raised to not even notice it. Plus, I hardly notice most people anyway. :P

karkat

race is purely a social construct
and race can have a lot to do with someone's sense of self-identity
it depends on the person, and how they want to be recognized

LooseSeal

Maybe not consciously, but I do think racism manifests itself in everyone on at least a subconscious level to varying degrees. I think our society is still very much ruled by racism, and stereotypes are perpetuated every day by the media and other outlets. I'm white and I'd like to think that I'm "blind to race" but I think I'd be deluding myself. Racism is pretty institutionalized and shapes many of our interactions.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
Not very much. If it's just some random person then maybe just a little. But if it's someone that I knew I was going to meet, and I knew who they were then not at all.

Whispered

race is purely a social construct
and race can have a lot to do with someone's sense of self-identity
it depends on the person, and how they want to be recognized
race is definitely genetic.

ethnicity is a social construct. I am Caucasian because of my genes. I am white because I identify as white.

Someone may be hispanic by genes, but identify as white.

I'm about as white as white gets. My parents are judgmental (as am I), but not racist. I grew up watching shows like Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, Little Bill, Dora the Explorer, and other shows full of diversity. The characters of a another race were never something that occurred to me as being different. Seeing all people as equals came naturally to me, but I was raised on the importance of acceptance. ...but that also leads me to be puzzled as to why people (*cough* Disney Channel *cough*) always feel the need to throw someone of every race/ethnicity into a TV show simply for the "diversity".

Anyway, for me, the color of someone's skin doesn't usually play a role in first impressions. I can only hope for the same treatment in return. What does play a role is appearance and behavior-- but that goes for anyone, regardless of race. I'll always judge the person as an individual, but I will admit it may happen more so with certain races. Yes, I pull out my judge-y eyes at times, but it's human nature. I do my best not to unless I truly feel the need to exercise caution around the person.

Last edited:

allison

The worst is when people expect you to give minorities special treatment.

Like no.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I don't factor in race, but I do factor in culture as different cultures find different things respectful/disrespectful.

Someone's race doesn't impact my view on them as an individual. More so their behavior and personality. However I am aware and wary of certain stereotypical behavior or beliefs of certain races that deem true that may not necessarily be because of their race but the economic and social circumstances or situations those of that certain race are more likely to encounter or have than others. I like to give a person a benefit of a doubt, though. That they are indeed different than others of their race I've met or heard about. Everyone is different and may choose to identify themselves as more than their race. Although regardless of race if someone has a creepy demeanor, I best be on the other way away from the creep. So stereotypes in regards to behavior and physical presentation do play a role in my first impression with strangers while race doesn't.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
I'm not affected by someone's race because I wasn't hidden from other cultures growing up. I've lived in 4 different states (Maryland, Texas, California, Utah) so I have gotten to know other people and race hasn't bothered me. Everyone at my school currently seems weary of other races, and it's disappointing.

The worst is when people expect you to give minorities special treatment.

Like no.

who expects that? i certainly don't.

----------

I think race does play a part in how i take a person, subconsciously and sometimes i do catch myself but i don't consider myself racist because i judge everyone.

I'm not affected by someone's race because I wasn't hidden from other cultures growing up. I've lived in 4 different states (Maryland, Texas, California, Utah) so I have gotten to know other people and race hasn't bothered me. Everyone at my school currently seems weary of other races, and it's disappointing.
im coming there and don't be surprised if i leave with 4 wives.

Champ

Not at all. People's personalities do. There are so many mixed people in California, I can't even tell what a lot of people are. I've grown up with influences of every race and have looked up to people of different races. I know there are people who act as their stereotypical race, but there are so many who don't. It's never safe to make an assumption.

I notice people's race, but that's about it. I don't think of, for instance, my black coworkers as being any different from me because they're black and I'm not. I don't even think about the fact that they're black, unless they mention it.

I'm really not a fan of the concept of race. I don't think it's done anything good in the world, but has only led to oppression from within and without. I understand why culture and nationality are important, but the idea that someone belongs to a different race than someone else so they are fundamentally separated is, at best, outdated, but can be terribly divisive and even dehumanizing.