Random Question: How do I get rare items when I have nothing rare to trade?

I just joined a couple of weeks ago (the new VMK that is, I was a member to the prior VMK) and I haven't had any luck at all in getting rare items. How am I supposed to start trading and what not when I have nothing to trade? Some tips would be so helpful. I'm so hopeless at the moment :(

-mermaid

A sure way is to get good at a mini game like Fireworks or JC and then you can build up credits and trade them as sprees. There's always people looking for sprees and most who are will trade rare items for x amount of credits.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
Also, just save up all of your items and credits and find the right person that will be perfect to exchange with. It just takes a lot of patience, and it's worth it in the end. ^^

C

Celluloid

Making it to host events on time never hurts, but a big key is analyzing what activities get you the most per time/energy invested. An example might be a Ride-A-Thon some people might spend the whole time riding it, but perhaps when you closely, the sprees you might trade them are worth less than spending that same amount of time in a mini-game for credits. Leveraging events like double credit or competitions can be wise as well. Good trades are smart too. In Maple Story, I used to keep an excel file of the prices of everything. I'd write the item down, and then the highest value I'd seen it sell for that still makes sense. I would set that as the minimum, and every few weeks, I'd go through every shop on the server and update it. It helped quite a bit. I have to wonder if the better traders do something like that in credit sprees or something. Of course, we have much few items, so updating more often might be in order.

You can't trade credits yet. But if you make a deal with someone like say they argee to a 30k spree for flips. You would have to buy 30k worth the items they want and then trade the items to them.

Gooniest-busy being awesome since 1982 :)

Quoting what I told someone in this thread:

...Don't lose hope, though.
Play games for credits, buy featured items of the month (October was halloween items, November was Adventure (Ned's shop) items, December is holiday stuff). Stock up on featured items and in 1 month when they retire, trade them up for items you've missed/desire to collect. Just be patient and don't take the game too seriously. Look for giveaways and play contests with prizes (Cute or Boot, falling chairs). Attend HOST events (check calendar for them): Ride the rideathons, play HOST games, always make sure you enter the room RIGHT when it opens so you won't have to wait in a queue too long! If you're patient, smart, and work diligently then you can truly rebuild what you had from original VMK! I wish you luck and if you ever need any advice or help, I'm Jason in-game. :)
Also, I highly agree with the tips from some of the other people in this thread! :)

Setsuykie

Making it to host events on time never hurts, but a big key is analyzing what activities get you the most per time/energy invested. An example might be a Ride-A-Thon some people might spend the whole time riding it, but perhaps when you closely, the sprees you might trade them are worth less than spending that same amount of time in a mini-game for credits. Leveraging events like double credit or competitions can be wise as well. Good trades are smart too. In Maple Story, I used to keep an excel file of the prices of everything. I'd write the item down, and then the highest value I'd seen it sell for that still makes sense. I would set that as the minimum, and every few weeks, I'd go through every shop on the server and update it. It helped quite a bit. I have to wonder if the better traders do something like that in credit sprees or something. Of course, we have much few items, so updating more often might be in order.
Wow, I thought nobody else plays Maplestory. xD I still play.

I agree with the aforementioned - but if you see something featured this month that you don't necessarily like, someone might want it later! I bought a snowman hat with no intention of wearing it, but I'm sure someone will trade for it. I also got cowboy pants gifted to me out of the kindness of that person's heart - so hey, maybe if someone's feeling nice!