Recoloring in Gimp

Elizabeth212

Find your strength in love
I've have tried to recolor things black in gimp but it never comes out right it always comes out gray and I don't want that is there a trick or something to coloring things black?

PudgeTheFish

Recoloring things to black isnt just recoloring.. Its kinda much harder. You can't change the saturation to 0 and expect it to be black... Try youtube!

Elizabeth212

Sorry this is what I'm talking about
[DOUBLEPOST=1436722399][/DOUBLEPOST]
Recoloring things to black isnt just recoloring.. Its kinda much harder. You can't change the saturation to 0 and expect it to be black... Try youtube!
I've tried that

PudgeTheFish

Lik I said before, it's not as easy as what you're doing.. I do not have gimp, so I don't know how to help..

Oyewole

oh-yay-wool-ay
I don't really use GIMP either. I'm still a little confused even with the video. It looks like you were covering in black and it all just randomly disappeared? Try drawing over the area again, make a selection with the wings layer, inverse the selection, select the black coloring layer, then cut.

Neda

I see what you mean by the gray black.
Then again I don't know anything about recoloring items black other than messing around with the saturation and brightness.
So sorry for not really helping :dizzy::table:

Attachments

Evehist

Sometimes I art.
Though your gimp looks like a different version then the one I'm familiar with, but it usually works for me by,

making a new layer > using the bucket tool to color it all black > clip the layer so it only covers the areas of the layer below it > then changing the mode of the layer to "multiply"

Hope this information isn't useless lol XD

Elizabeth212

I'll try that the version of gimp I have is 2.8[DOUBLEPOST=1436767658][/DOUBLEPOST]What I did was I played around with the brightness/contrast and desaturate and I think I got it

Last edited:

mark

10 mins late to everything
I'll try that the version of gimp I have is 2.8[DOUBLEPOST=1436767658][/DOUBLEPOST]What I did was I played around with the brightness/contrast and desaturate and I think I got it
try turning down the opacity a little or somehting along those lines because all i really see is black and very faint outlines of the rose petals, also if you'd like to be more precise erase the black on the leaf

Elizabeth, I'd like to suggest a much easier way to recolor.

Go to the "Filters" tab along the top, then select "Colorize".

Now you can mess around with the Hue/Saturation/Lightness- This should make things a lot easier when it comes to recoloring.