** Safety Concern **

Status
Not open for further replies.
The forum rules have been updated, as of 01/12/14.

I would like to point out this rule in particular:
GIFs/Animated Images:
Animated, or GIF images, are only allowed to be included in discussion posts when put in
tags. You do not need to use
tags in Forum Games as long as they relate to the game and are not spam. Animated images that may induce migraines or seizures (i.e. rapidly flashing lights and colors) are prohibited for the safety of other members.
It has come to our attention that we have some members on this forum and in-game that are seizure prone , and some video(s) or picture(s) that flash can cause medical issues for them - in particular, the flashing and quick movements/changes.
This does not include glitter signatures.

This is a serious issue as it is dangerous for their health. Certain visual patterns can trigger seizures. Please, when choosing a signature, think of this possibility.

The use of signatures that flash OR change slides very fast are therefore prohibited. If this is ignored, signatures and images of this type will be deleted.

We ask that anyone who notices a signature or image, of this type, posted by any member to report this to a staff member immediately.

The speed/changes of your image must not be faster than 5-30 seconds.

Thank you for your continued understanding and co-operation,
MyVMK Staff

Fruits

Never would have thought of this! Now I know! This is only for flashing images, correct? Not still images? Like in-game screenshots?

Fruits this is regarding any moving or flashing images that are faster than 5 second slide changes. If they are have a slower speed change, then that is no problem =)

Thank goodness you added the no flashing GIF policy! I was getting concerned that most of the people that has those might cause another user to into an epileptic seizure; even though I am not proned to that. So, thank you so much for enforcing it.

I'm happy to see this finally instituted. The flashing GIFs make it difficult to read anything else on the page. It was very unfair to the other posters who just wanted to say something and the rest of us who don't want to have a sensory overload. Thanks.

Whispered

5 seconds is a bit too conservative imo, and there needs to be clarification on whether this only applies to full frame/background images or also effects like sparkles or similar

5 seconds is a bit too conservative imo, and there needs to be clarification on whether this only applies to full frame/background images or also effects like sparkles or similar
Exactly... Are all sparkle effects banned now? :o
As I do not have this medical issue I cannot speak for the members that do.

Therefore, I have asked these members for their opinions on glitter images and I will let you know as soon as I get replies.

Noir

Pumpkin Queen
I don't mean to come off as sassy when I say this, but I have a similar condition, and I was told by my doctor that if It was any worse that I am to avoid internet/tv as much as possible where I will be put in a trigger situation. So, coming from someone with a benign case of epilepsy, if It were to trigger me that badly, I shouldn't be on the internet, because preventing people from doing things they like is completely unfair and I wouldn't want that for anybody.

Also, If you're going to get rid of these options on the forums, wouldn't using magic in game be very bad as well? Same with staff setting magic off in an entire room? I don't know, but that just seems much worse to me than a GIF, and It does make me uneasy sometimes. Soooo, if we're going to be hindered from doing certain things on the official game forum, then the same should be applied in game, otherwise none of this makes sense!

Again, I'm not trying to be harsh, but I myself have epilepsy and can speak about this openly.

I don't mean to come off as sassy when I say this, but I have a similar condition, and I was told by my doctor that if It was any worse that I am to avoid internet/tv as much as possible where I will be put in a trigger situation. So, coming from someone with a benign case of epilepsy, if It were to trigger me that badly, I shouldn't be on the internet, because preventing people from doing things they like is completely unfair and I wouldn't want that for anybody.

Also, If you're going to get rid of these options on the forums, wouldn't using magic in game be very bad as well? Same with staff setting magic off in an entire room? I don't know, but that just seems much worse to me than a GIF, and It does make me uneasy sometimes. Soooo, if we're going to be hindered from doing certain things on the official game forum, then the same should be applied in game, otherwise none of this makes sense!

Again, I'm not trying to be harsh, but I myself have epilepsy and can speak about this openly.
That is kinda hard to enforce on game. But of course if there is any issue, reach out to us.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ

I've had lots of friends and family members with epilepsy play VMK with 0 problems. Unfortunately, for those that do have problems with it, there's pretty much nothing they can do to remove anything that can trigger an seizure. Maybe you can put in your signature not to use magic around you? Or just step away from the game for a while just in case?

Also, I disagree with what you're saying. Not only are the fast moving GIFs hard on people with epilepsy, they're also difficult for people who don't have it. I myself have seen MULTIPLE GIFs that are just crazy fast that I actually have to scroll by quickly because they hurt. I think this rule is actually a positive one that will help make reading posts more comfortable :halcyon:.

Noir

Pumpkin Queen
That is kinda hard to enforce on game. But of course if there is any issue, reach out to us.
Oh I know that it's hard to enforce, I'm just using it as an example of how the events that happen in game is a way bigger trigger-situation than a measly little GIF, and I'm allowed to claim that because of my epilepsy...If a person has epilepsy so bad that a GIF can set it off, they shouldn't be playing the game period...as I certainly wouldn't be if it were going to risk my health.

I've had lots of friends and family members with epilepsy play VMK with 0 problems. Unfortunately, for those that do have problems with it, there's pretty much nothing they can do to remove anything that can trigger an seizure. Maybe you can put in your signature not to use magic around you? Or just step away from the game for a while just in case?
I'm not saying that it sets me off, i'm saying that if a GIF can set people off, the game is a much more worse situation than that and they shouldn't be risking their health.

Jasmine

Thank you! This is all I was asking for... a simple clarification! ^_^
@Peppermint, I completely get what you're saying.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Was just thinking this. Whether sparkles, or glitter images are banned now or not.

This does make some sense. My youngest sibling is epileptic, however he isn't bad enough where he can't handle watching television, or a video online, or listen to music. It's just mass stimuli for him that brings on a seizure. However, for the more severe cases where images, or moving pictures such as videos or the actions in a game would cause this problem to arise, I'd assume they steer away from computers all together, or even televisions. I'm not entirely certain seeing as I myself don't have this condition, and the one person close to me that does doesn't have a profound intolerance for such things, I can't speak as freely, however to me it just seems sensible.

I understand where you're coming from, in that the personal medical issues of a few shouldn't ruin the experience for everyone else. However, I don't think removing flashing signatures is such a huge thing to give up. It's a pretty small sacrifice that a lot of people, myself included, appreciate.

Whispered

I do think there needs to be more consideration and less "immediacy" in the rule changes. Because in all honesty, this rule looks as if it was not thought through.

I admire the idea, however one must question how big of an issue is it - persons with epilepsy know what they should avoid. I know quite a few persons with seizure disorders, and most of them actually use extensions/software to block gifs if they are triggered by gifs. Furthermore, the point was brought up that this does not go far enough, which is also true. In all honesty, the physicians I know all recommend that persons with seizure disorders stay away from video games alltogether - not just gifs on a forum related to a game.

Jasmine has given you guys links to mods for vBulletin multiple times now, yet none are being applied. I question whether the admin team (not the moderators, they just enforce rules) is open to other solutions, or if they are barreling forward with what they think is right even after it has been shown that this is ineffective, and not a good rule.

Lastly, one does need to question the approach of "rule the population for the deeds of the few". This rule affects everyone due to a few bad people. Just like the filter being replaced only on those who deserve it and need it to stop being inappropriate, there are multiple solutions to this problem that change the experience for those who need/want it (mainly those with seizure disorders), but leave it the same for those who don't. Again, this really does bring into question the style of administration that is being applied by the admin team here, and whether they even realize that they are making the experience less fun, enjoyable, and interesting for the entirety based on a problem that easily fixed without that side effect (mods, disabling signatures for certain people on request, not allowing those with severe seizure disorder to play the game/forums, etc.).

-Whispered

Status
Not open for further replies.