Votes: 3 15.8%
  • why

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • never

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Jal

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
For those of you who took the SAT or ACT and got some wicked high score, how did you do it? What are some good tips? Did you devote hours and hours to several practice tests? Was it just a matter of picking and choosing your battles? Did you get into the college you wanted to? Did you skip out on standardized testing and anything to do with college all together?

TIS THE SEASON FOR STANDARDIZED TESTING
falalala i'm going to cry

aceastrofan

The one and only...
For the ACT, I took classes the first time, and didn't study the 2 other times. 2 times I've done ACT with writing, once without. I got a 28 (8 in writing) when I took classes, 29 (once without writing, 11 on writing) both times I really didn't prepare, so it's a wash. The time I got a 29 + 11 in writing was the night I got 3 hours of sleep, so I guess that was ok

I used a book for the SAT, but I didn't time myself and mostly focused on math and overall got an 1800 (Critical reading/writing/math).

Last edited:
Taken the ACT 3 times, and taking it again Saturday.
1st: English 24, Math 24, Reading 27, Science 25, Writing 10: 25 Composite
2nd: English 35, Math 25, Reading 31, Science 28, No writing: 30 Composite
3rd: English 28, Math 26, Reading 26, Science 25 Writing 8: 26 Composite

Did the SAT and it was terrible, that's all that matters. ACT>SAT. I studied the second time by doing a lot of ACT practice tests. So long as you know what you are doing, you should be fine :)

mattt

I heard people say SAT was harder, but that's all I took. I read and practiced using a book, it really helped I thought, but lack of sleep killed me. Also, the fact my bro was getting it on with his girlfriend in the same room as me didn't help, so kick your siblings out of the room if you share a room. That is all.

I heard people say SAT was harder, but that's all I took. I read and practiced using a book, it really helped I thought, but lack of sleep killed me. Also, the fact my bro was getting it on with his girlfriend in the same room as me didn't help, so kick your siblings out of the room if you share a room. That is all.
The SAT and ACT are totally different monsters. I prefer the ACT since I can guess and not lose points, plus its more straightforward and easier to understand. And by the way, that night sounds horrendous :no:

I got a composite score of 25 on the ACT (29 English, 24 Math and Reading, 23 Science). On the SAT 1720 total (590 Reading, 520 Math, 610 Writing). Yeah I had to look these up, but I was curious what I got back then. I had a super smart friend who earned 30+ on the ACT, also graduated top 10% of our very competitive class (a few made it into Yale and such) :p The rest of us did well, too. I was part of the "not as academically ambitious" group lol whatever

My advice is just don't stress about it if you've done your best. Sure practice and review using the books once in awhile. There really isn't much you can do about raising your score any more than you've already tried using the tips and tricks to taking these tests. Just pace yourself and think it through. Everything was fairly easy except the math which got me as it's my worst subject. I favored the SAT over the ACT.

MissSimba

I took the ACT and SAT a long time ago, so don't remember all of the individual section scores. If I recall correctly, I scored a 2100 total on the SAT and 34 composite on the ACT (36 in science, don't remember the rest). No preparation.

InfinityFay

Just learn from the college board book. My boyfriend got like a 2200 and he said all he did was read the book and understand how they ask questions.

Myth

I got a 20 on the ACT (first time) and when I took it at home I got a 25. Taking it a second time for my college app next saturday.. hoping for a higher score.

bobsbestgame

I got a 24, then a 26, then a 24 and never took the ACT again. Most of your universities will accept you with anything around a 24. I took those never studying because I just never studied for anything in high school. Three of my friends received 34's (two of them breaking their backs studying), four made 33's, and almost all the other friends made above 28. So needless to say I felt really stupid around my friends but hey. There are some free ACT apps on the App Store if you're interested that helps a lot. Also there is an ACT app that you can pay for that REALLY helped my friend get his 34 (so he says). Good luck! But don't stress about it too much. You can take it up to like 12 times through out high school!

I was sick when I took the ACT so my scores are not worth sharing. I'm terrible at standardized testing, though, and I should have done better on them than I did.
My scores were good enough to get me into a service academy, however..

I got a 28 the first time I took the ACT and got a 30 the second time. I would take it again, but I'm lazy and I won't study for it. I took the SAT and I got a 1780 and then a 1800. My superscore is only a 1860 I think. I'm horrible at standardized tests even though I had a lot of fun taking the ACT. I prefer and recommend the ACT over the SAT since they don't try to trick you and it's real knowledge rather than tricks.

Sorry :( And that's what I heard. I heard that math was super hard and so was science.
Science was alright for me, but the math section was a killer. Hopefully I do good enough on the rest of the test to compensate for math.