School Presentations

How nervous do you get presenting things in class?

• Total voters
So, we all have finals soon and big projects due, and one of mine is, ofc, a presentation. I swear, every time I ask someone about these they go "oh, I don't get nervous, not at all, just relax and do it." Am I the only one who can't relax? No matter what I do I psyche myself out real bad and they go horribly, I feel like I'm always the worst speaker in any of my classes and I embarrass myself every time. I'm not sure why, but this is so hard for me to do. No advice ever helps me, but I was just wondering if you guys are the same. :shrug:

Laguna

~.*~:.:lone:.:~*.~
id rather fail than do a presentation, i even skipped the rest of a class for the semester without properly dropping out after the teacher mentioned a group project.. so ya i can't do one even if i tried LOL

id rather fail than do a presentation, i even skipped the rest of a class for the semester without properly dropping out after the teacher mentioned a group project.. so ya i can't do one even if i tried LOL
I've chosen F's over presentations too, so I'm real glad I'm not the only one. :blue: I feel so pathetic but dude, I have a problem with it.

I had a group presentation today my legs were shaking. But I think I did fine I studied and practiced so much :tp::corner::scared:

asyuna

I had to take a public speaking class one semester and it was the worst experience of my life. The majority of the time we got to read our speeches from a note card, which was okay but everytime id get up there and start talking id notice I had shortness of breath and had a hard time getting the words out of my mouth. always felt like I needed to take a deep breath after every sentence.
Then the last speech we couldnt use any note cards. Had to be all from memory. I wrote about a topic I really cared about and figured my anxiety wouldnt be a big deal since I was already so educated on what I was talking about anyways, I studied and memorized the whole night before and had it down.
When I got up there, I got the first sentence out then forgot literally the rest of the speech. My teacher then accused me in front of everyone of not studying or caring about this at all and that I was lying about anxiety.

Lets just say that was my last day of public speaking class along with my last day of college.
So no, you are not alone lol.

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
So, we all have finals soon and big projects due, and one of mine is, ofc, a presentation. I swear, every time I ask someone about these they go "oh, I don't get nervous, not at all, just relax and do it." Am I the only one who can't relax? No matter what I do I psyche myself out real bad and they go horribly, I feel like I'm always the worst speaker in any of my classes and I embarrass myself every time. I'm not sure why, but this is so hard for me to do. No advice ever helps me, but I was just wondering if you guys are the same. :shrug:
Dude....just imagine you cannot see their faces lol. If you struggle with being nervous with a ton of people watching you as you speak, then just look over the top of their heads. If you make eye contact, don't make eye contact with one or two people and stare at them only during your speech. That gives the impression your too nervous, unsure of your speech and too timid to look at anyone else as you speak to the people. Heck, give yourself confidence boosts if you have to, its perfectly okay to do this by talking to yourself before you stand up and address an audience. :thumbsup:

Once_Upon_A_Time

♥Disneyland Addict♥
This semester I had to take a public speaking class and at the start of the class I was a nervous presenter.... Now it's not that big of a deal for me and it's kinda fun giving my speeches! I'm glad I took the class it's helped me a lot!
And 2 out of my 3 speeches that I've givin have been Disney realated so now I'm known as the Disney girl in my class haha

mark

10 mins late to everything
I stutter and switch words around on presentations... if its in a place im not comfortable in, it's ironic since I am a responsive person.[DOUBLEPOST=1429883918][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had to take a public speaking class one semester and it was the worst experience of my life. The majority of the time we got to read our speeches from a note card, which was okay but everytime id get up there and start talking id notice I had shortness of breath and had a hard time getting the words out of my mouth. always felt like I needed to take a deep breath after every sentence.
Then the last speech we couldnt use any note cards. Had to be all from memory. I wrote about a topic I really cared about and figured my anxiety wouldnt be a big deal since I was already so educated on what I was talking about anyways, I studied and memorized the whole night before and had it down.
When I got up there, I got the first sentence out then forgot literally the rest of the speech. My teacher then accused me in front of everyone of not studying or caring about this at all and that I was lying about anxiety.

Lets just say that was my last day of public speaking class along with my last day of college.
So no, you are not alone lol.
yeah we have public speaking for high school freshmans (mainly if youre in honors but there are very few exceptions) you have to literally memorize paragraphs and make heavy eyecontact and speak so loud and clear. So many honoroll FRESHMEN(!!!!) are so quiet... its weird.

StrataSam

I've always been horrible at giving presentations. The worst part is that I easily turn red when I'm stressed or nervous, so I'll end up standing there in front of the class looking like a tomato while trying not to look/sound stupid. If only we could turn our backs towards the class while speaking. I'd be so much better at it that way!

I talk too low for anyone to hear me, and when someone comments that they can't hear me I feel my face turn red and my knees start to shake and I get more nervous than I was before.

Scoot

Do you believe everything on the internet
I had trouble presenting in high school, sure, I was too quiet and didn't look at anyone. I thought I was going to enter flight mode this college semester with an English presentation (pure speech, not a dingy powerpoint) but what made it really easy was articulating my speech to sound how I naturally spoke to my friends, practicing it 5+ times in the mirror, and putting a joke in it so the class would laugh and break the tension. I also cleared my mind of the fact that I even had a speech that day. Somehow all of that was the key to me finally doing well with a speech.

I used to get pretty awkward and nervous - paused sometimes, apologized for being nervous, not really looking anyone in the eyes. I still get nervous a little which is normal. I try to just take it easy and know it's no big deal if I do mess up, just recover quickly and move on. I just pay special attention to what material I'm presenting and try to get everyone engaged and wanting to learn something out the presentation. I've messed up public speaking often enough in high school and early college that that just acts as a reminder for me that I can do better now. Taking a speech class and my business communication course helped a lot.

Just takes practice and learning to relax, be prepared and knowing well what you will be talking about ahead of time - at least a week to sink in and really think about your information/how you want to convey it before. Writing good outlines and speaker notes on index cards helped me get organized. No worries if you may be an awful public speaker now, you'll get better as long as you keep working at it. I used to hate presenting to the entire class, but now I love it because yeah I'm a geek lol. It's fun to share what you learn, at least I think so :p

In high school I'd take a F over doing the presentation, and now the minute presentations are even mentioned I start thinking about dropping the class. I just can't do it man. But I did do a beauty pageant my senior year (lol) and that helped me with confidence in front of people for a while.