Should this be allowed?

acebatonfan

I can see both sides of this. It is not fair for the baby to risk developing life-long complications due to the mother using drugs during pregnancy. Social services should only be contacted if it was multiple positive urine tests, the mother refuses drug counseling, and the OB feels like the child in in danger if he/she remains in that household.

Monorail

I wouldn't say it's a violation of the fourth amendment because it's a prerequisite to use a private businesses services. It's not like the drug tests are being done by the federal government. If you want to use that facility, you have to be screened.

acebatonfan

what about violating the fourth amendment rights?
It could be considered a reasonable search. Most likely, these urine tests are only occurring to guarantee that the child will not develop any life-altering birth defects from drug use. At least knowing that, for example, if the mother tested positive for heroin use during the first trimester, then the OB can prepare an appropriate plan of action for the rest of the pregnancy, delivery, and determine the best placement for the child.

A pregnant person is taking care of two lives, and the child cannot make the decision as to whether he/she wants to be altered by drugs. If the mother cannot maturely think for her child and avoid drugs -particularly illegal ones- during the pregnancy, than it might be best if the child was in a different household.

This might also only be a procedure for one OB. If a woman does not want to do the urine tests, she can go to another OB. I like to look at this like whenever I go to my endocrinologist. I need to give her my blood glucose logs from the past 1-2 weeks in order to help determine whether I need my insulin regimen changed, whereas some of my other diabetic friends have endocrinologists that do not require the blood glucose logs. If I felt like giving away my blood glucose logs is an invasion of my privacy, then I could go to an endocrinologist that does not require these logs.

allison

If it's extremely severe, probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------

It could be considered a reasonable search. Most likely, these urine tests are only occurring to guarantee that the child will not develop any life-altering birth defects from drug use. At least knowing that, for example, if the mother tested positive for heroin use during the first trimester, then the OB can prepare an appropriate plan of action for the rest of the pregnancy, delivery, and determine the best placement for the child.

A pregnant person is taking care of two lives, and the child cannot make the decision as to whether he/she wants to be altered by drugs. If the mother cannot maturely think for her child and avoid drugs -particularly illegal ones- during the pregnancy, than it might be best if the child was in a different household.

This might also only be a procedure for one OB. If a woman does not want to do the urine tests, she can go to another OB. I like to look at this like whenever I go to my endocrinologist. I need to give her my blood glucose logs from the past 1-2 weeks in order to help determine whether I need my insulin regimen changed, whereas some of my other diabetic friends have endocrinologists that do not require the blood glucose logs. If I felt like giving away my blood glucose logs is an invasion of my privacy, then I could go to an endocrinologist that does not require these logs.

Be careful some people don't think of unborn children as living

If it's extremely severe, probably

----------

Be careful some people don't think of unborn children as living

i don't but it doesn't invalidate the point.

----------

I like these responses. I feel like I'm actually learning from this debate.

Whispered

idk what this is even about. more info would be nice
Assuming OB = Obstetrician, this is an OB/GYN (pregnancy/mothering doctor) telling his/her patients that they will be screened for drugs if they choose to come to his/her practice, and if drugs are found CPS will be notified.