So Frustrated!

Princess_Stitch

A Princess of Sorts
So...I just need to vent a bit. :um:

Back on Tuesday (I believe), my laptop's hard drive apparently demagnetized and all data was destroyed. I was browsing the forums, no less, when it happened. Because of this, I lost tens of thousands of files. Photos, videos, documents, some music, bookmarks, all my work...and most importantly, memories. I suppose I was too stupid to backup anything, despite having SkyDrive popup in my face every time I logged on. I didn't know what it was and never bothered to check it out. No Photobucket, no external drive, nothing. Every personal photo/screenshot and video I had on my computer is gone. Forever. This includes not only all of my O/MVMK pics and the pics of CP igloos I made with my sister (silly, I know), but a year's worth of Animal Crossing screenshots that were not only extremely dear to me, but I was in the middle of making a video with them (had already been working weeks on it) to surprise my sister next month. I will have lost all of my iPhone photos, too, if they aren't still saved in the cloud. My actual photographs (except selfies) are saved on another laptop, but otherwise, everything is gone. Gone in an instant. *hyperventilates* It sucks, man.

This also means I don't have a useable computer. I don't know how I'm handling that yet since I don't know if it's still under warranty...$$$. I'm probably going to end up missing several (if not all) dream events. :please: I can live without a computer, I just don't want to miss this month of the game. :p

I'm utterly devastated by the whole thing. Lost photos, fried laptop... I don't mean to sound whiny or ungrateful in any way, but my lost files are a big deal to me. Whether photos from a vacation or screenshots from a video game, it's all the same to me. Precious memories. I'm tearing up at just the thought of having lost them. :( I've had a rough few weeks and I was already starting to feel it before this happened. This takes the cake. :blue: It's a lesson learned, and I'll eventually move on, but I know I'm going to kick myself for years to come.

I just...I just...need a HUG
Has this happened to anyone else? How do you cope? :stare:

Last edited:

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
Oh my that is awful. I feel your pain. I lost all my vmk photos for the first few years when I redid windows on it and lost all my pics :( The kindness of others gave me photos I was in. I now back up all my photos on dvd and another hard drive because of that less. How did this happen.

Big hugs to you <3

PS did you take it in to get checked because it is really hard to demagnetize a computer if you use it normally.

Wow. Here is a *HUG*
I'm sorry to hear this :( losing memories is a very sad and unfortunate thing.

So once the HD has been demagnetized, all data is destroyed? Can't possibly salvage anything? :(

Princess_Stitch

A Princess of Sorts
Oh my that is awful. I feel your pain. I lost all my vmk photos for the first few years when I redid windows on it and lost all my pics :( The kindness of others gave me photos I was in. I now back up all my photos on dvd and another hard drive because of that less. How did this happen.

Big hugs to you <3
Wow. Here is a *HUG*
I'm sorry to hear this :( losing memories is a very sad and unfortunate thing.

:hug:
I'll definitely be more careful about backing up from now on. :ugh:

It happened out of nowhere, honestly. I was on the forum when the browser froze and stopped responding, and everything eventually froze up and I couldn't escape. After about 10 mins, I manually shut it down and I got stuck in the Aptio Setup Utility after turning it back on. I Google'd it and did everything that was suggested with no luck. :shrug: It's only 2ish years old and hadn't had any issues with it for a few months.

Littlebelle said:
PS did you take it in to get checked because it is really hard to demagnetize a computer if you use it normally.
Dhalion said:
So once the HD has been demagnetized, all data is destroyed? Can't possibly salvage anything? :(
My mom took it to Geek Squad for me and that's what they said, at least. Everything was wiped and can't be recovered. :blue: I wouldn't normally trust GS, but I already had a feeling it was done for. Then again, I don't know anything computers, so... just going with my gut here.

Jasmine

I've had that happen with computers many times. I learned after the first time to use photobucket though.

I just recently lost everything on my iPhone though, so I understand how you feel. It's no fun, but it'll be okay in the end. ^_^

philitup

The Internet Champion!
Yeah, this has happened to me before, I do have photobucket, but I've lost a lot of good pictures and videos from Disney trips. It's super annoying, and I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Sending you hugs! We lost an entire Florida and WDW set of pictures back in 2003. The kids were 7 and 3. I was heartbroken. Luckily, I had printed a small amount of pictures, but 90% of our trip pictures were gone. Seems technology can be a beast sometimes. Sorry about your lost data. :(

kalyee

Ugh, I'm so sorry that happened! I lost a ton of photos from my iPhone, and 120gb of music from my iPod at one point, and I was devastated. It definitely taught me to back things up, no matter how tedious it might be though!

I've had a laptop wipe before, and it is devastating. Computers bring us a lot of convenience but I think we forget at times that in the smallest instances computers can just... fail. There is nothing wrong with what you are feeling and I hope it gets better soon.

Ah, sorry this happened! Unfortunately technology isn't always reliable. Do you have a USB flash drive and an online account for photos? I recommend both to use, the USB for important documents and photos along with uploading it to the cloud google drive or whatever in addition and the online account for photos also from now on just in case. Never can be too careful. It's okay though live and learn.

Muse

Oh no! I'm sorry, sweetie. :(
I feel your pain. My last laptop gave up on me randomly without warning. I shut it off to go to sleep one night...the next morning it wouldn't turn on. I took it to the shop and the motherboard was fried. :/