The Dragon's Name.

Rabbit

This has been bothering me for a while, you see. So I'll explain it fully here, but it may get a bit wordy.

Some of the NPCs(if not all) in VMK seem to have been based off of characters who only appear in the parks, and not in the films (Yeti is in the Matterhorn ride, Esmerelda is in the Penny Arcade at Disneyland, Ned is in a shop in Adventureland at DL, etc.).
So then if that is the case, the dragon is based off of a giant Animatronic Dragon that is in a cave underneath the Castle in Disneyland Paris. This dragon has no name, and I believe doesn't talk (Explaining the "You found the Dragon!" message when you received credits from it). However, when you look at VMK's old Q/A thing that was in its HELP button, I believe they referred to the dragon as (a misspelled version of the name) Malificent. Malificent and the Dragon, from what I've seen, do not seem to be the same dragon, so this confuses me further as to the identity of the dragon. Looking through pictures, it resembles both dragons, but different details like the chain around the neck and amount of spines going down its back, along with its overall crouching position, seem to indicate that it's based more off of Paris's dragon.

You can find pictures of all 3 dragons online(of course) if you want to compare the images for yourself. I'd be interested in others' opinions on this.

It's definitely intended to be Maleficent. 100%

It's referred to in the database of VMK as:
item.4001=Maleficent the Dragon
item.4002=Shrunken Ned
item.4003=The Yeti
item.4004=Captain Blackheart
item.4005=Esmeralda the Fortuneteller
item.4006=Phineas the Hitchhiking Ghost
item.4007=Ezra the Hitchhiking Ghost
item.4008=Gus the Hitchhiking Ghost
item.4009=Gator Waiter

It also seems to be the DLR Paris dragon:
"room.13.desc=Venture forth into a darkened cavern dripping with stalactites. Face a fire-breathing dragon from DisneylandÂ? Resort Paris. Discover a chivalrous knight who didn't quite make it and explore secret entrances to destinations untold."

Referred to again as "item.2021=The Yeti
item.2022=Captain Blackheart
item.2023=Esmeralda the Fortuneteller
item.2024=Maleficent the Dragon
item.2025=Shrunken Ned"

And one more time:
item.4001=Maleficent the Dragon
item.4002=Shrunken Ned
item.4003=The Yeti
item.4004=Captain Blackheart
item.4005=Esmeralda the Fortuneteller
item.4006=Phineas
item.4007=Ezra
item.4008=Gus

Source: http://www.enchanter.net/vmk/external_f ... _texts_493 and http://www.enchanter.net/vmk/elspeaks3.pdf

The dragon actually apparently had some pretty neat plans in store for it. If you recall, towards the end, they were planning something called VMK Stories. Maleficent the Dragon was apparently set to play a large role in this, along with some other dragons.

http://www.enchanter.net/vmk/elspeaks4.pdf

Rabbit

Hmm, didn't know people had the database name for it. Guess that solves that. I thought since childhood it was Malificent, but since I found out about Paris's dragon, I became unsure.
But still, it bothers me a bit that it seems to be BOTH characters in some descriptions.

Rabbit said:
Hmm, didn't know people had the database name for it. Guess that solves that. I thought since childhood it was Malificent, but since I found out about Paris's dragon, I became unsure.
But still, it bothers me a bit that it seems to be BOTH characters in some descriptions.
Yea, ElectricLime got all that stuff. He kept an eye on it, and mentioned when new items were added. But I suppose it much be an amalgam of the two if the DLR Paris dragon isn't Maleficent.

It's strange how we've never noticed the inconsistency before. Whilst I accepted that the Dragon was indeed called Maleficent, I always thought it was based on the DLP dungeon. After all, you could access the dungeon on VMK by standing on an exit square to the right of the Castle Gardens - just like in Disneyland Paris. Interesting.

The_Jedi_Master said:
I would agree with this, and hope this might lead us to eventually have Mickey's ToonTown and Liberty Square added.
I was thinking this was possibly hinted at with the "portal opening to a toon world" messages that Esmeralda would say in OVMK.

And I was also thinking that the dragon was the one in DLP, considering the actual castle ingame looks pretty similar to the DLP one.