The music industry

Andrew

Taylor Swift recently wrote an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal about the music industry and how it has changed over the years. http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-taylor-swift-the-future-of-music-is-a-love-story-1404763219

Do you agree with her? What are your thoughts on the music industry?

My thoughts:
I do somewhat agree with what Taylor Swift is saying. I think people are generally buying less physical copies of albums and now just listening to everything online or on their iPods/iPhones. Also, I agree with her that now people just want pictures with famous people and not an autograph like years ago. I think the music industry is changing like other industries but we just have to accept the change and adapt to it.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
I'd have to agree with some of what she said. Piracy is a huge thing today, although people do buy physical copies of albums, or download through iTunes or Google Play, piracy is a huge trend. We have ( had) Limewire, where you could download the program on your PC/Mac and instantly begin illegally downloading from albums to songs and music videos, to pretty much everything. There are so many more websites and progams, like 4Shared that are available for piracy, and millions of people use these options instead of using their own money. And I agree with what you said, people just want a "selfie" with their favorite artist nowadays, and little want an autograph. If that was me, I would try to get an autograph too. One of my albums that I own is even signed.

About relationships, yes, all of the songs today are about relationships, partying, and breaking up, etc. Decades ago when the music industry was just getting big, like in the era of Elvis Presley and even America's first boy band, (not NKOB or Westlife) but as far as I know of, most of their songs weren't about girls, or break-ups. And even before that, like at the turn of the century up to the 50's, artists actually wrote songs that were meaningful. Think of how the blues originated, and I'm not trying to be anywhere racist, but back over a hundred years ago slaves sang about their troubles of being forced to work on the plantation, and about escaping, ie: The song "Follow the Drinking Gourd."

What she said about the value of an album and how much an artist has "bled their heart and soul in to that work", there are artists (mostly rappers) who create albums, seeming careless about what they're putting in to their album. I'm not including Macklemore, but other rappers make albums where you can see they didn't put any effort in to their music at all, and they're mostly songs about partying, drugs, and doing/thinking sexual actions/ inappropriate thoughts and degrading women to the lowest of the low. (Robin Thicke).

Rappers such as Lil' Wayne, Flo Rida, Wiz Khalifa, and Jay-Z are also an example of above. About Macklemore, he has respect from many people and you can see how passionate he was on "The Heist". He didn't record songs sounding like the mainstream rapper, but they were meaningful messages in some of them, example: "Same Love". He's one of the very few rappers that actually made an album without the unnecessary need to curse in all his songs, I know some of them are explicit, but not all of them.

But that's all I have to say, I didn't think it would be this long. :o

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
I'm not familiar with this person taylor swift in the article so I'll make this short and sweet. After reviewing the article, I don't think she is saying anything here that hasn't been said by other artists for many years before this/her.

As far as my thoughts go:

Of course the music industry changes just like almost anything else with time and use of certain changing technologies. The music industry will never die though because it is the universal language of this planet; no matter what tongues you can or cannot speak in to communicate.

As far as I know, piracy is dying at the hands of Spotify, Google Play Music All Access, Pandora, iTunes Radio, and so on. A lot of people argue that artists don't make money from streaming. Guess what? They never made money off of album sales on major labels. Trent Reznor made more money off of his self-published Ghosts than he did off of Year Zero on a label. Oh, and Ghosts was dirt-cheap (a quarter of Ghosts was given for free, the rest was sold digitally for $5 with a Creative Commons license allowing buyers to give it away for free, and collector's editions were also sold). Streaming is no different than the old way. Artists always have, and always will, make their real money off of concerts and endorsement deals.

About relationships, yes, all of the songs today are about relationships, partying, and breaking up, etc. Decades ago when the music industry was just getting big, like in the era of Elvis Presley and even America's first boy band, (not NKOB or Westlife) but as far as I know of, most of their songs weren't about girls, or break-ups. And even before that, like at the turn of the century up to the 50's, artists actually wrote songs that were meaningful. Think of how the blues originated, and I'm not trying to be anywhere racist, but back over a hundred years ago slaves sang about their troubles of being forced to work on the plantation, and about escaping, ie: The song "Follow the Drinking Gourd."
I'm admittedly not too familiar with 1950's music, but I can tell you that Elvis was a bit provocative for his time. While a lot of music around the 1960's had serious social implications (read: anti-war messages), there is a lot of music in this era with the same types of themes as modern pop music.

What she said about the value of an album and how much an artist has "bled their heart and soul in to that work", there are artists (mostly rappers) who create albums, seeming careless about what they're putting in to their album. I'm not including Macklemore, but other rappers make albums where you can see they didn't put any effort in to their music at all, and they're mostly songs about partying, drugs, and doing/thinking sexual actions/ inappropriate thoughts and degrading women to the lowest of the low. (Robin Thicke).

Rappers such as Lil' Wayne, Flo Rida, Wiz Khalifa, and Jay-Z are also an example of above. About Macklemore, he has respect from many people and you can see how passionate he was on "The Heist". He didn't record songs sounding like the mainstream rapper, but they were meaningful messages in some of them, example: "Same Love". He's one of the very few rappers that actually made an album without the unnecessary need to curse in all his songs, I know some of them are explicit, but not all of them.
Rap is pretty heavily stigmatized. The genre is pretty rich with actual themes and musicianship. The language tends to be relatively offensive, but Macklemore is far from the only rapper with a message. Here we go:

Even though Jay-Z can be a little degrading (it's indirect, based on what I've listened to, but it's there), he does have actual things to say. "99 Problems" is actually about institutionalized racism. "Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)" is a really nicely composed song about people who basically want Jay to fail.

As for everyone's favorite narcissist Kanye West, the guy isn't a bad musician at all. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy could be thematically compared to a classical tragedy, and its production is to die for ("All of the Lights" is beautiful). While MBDTF revolves around Kanye's narcissism, he still has some social commentary to offer elsewhere in his discography.

Kendrick Lamar retells the horrors of growing up in a city full of crime.

Eminem's recent work revolves around his struggles with drug addiction.

Remember Outkast? "Hey Ya" isn't just a catchy tune. Listen to those lyrics again. It's a remarkably well-disguised breakup song. I know those are a bit cliche, but the way it's handled is unusual, and that separates this one from the pack.

Some rap is good. Some rap is bad. In other words: rap is a music genre like any other. I once thought it was terrible, but then I gave it a try and found things that I actually liked.

Monorail

IF YOU DON'T LIKE RAP, PLEASE CONSIDER THIS

Although this has already been addressed by another individual, I highly suggest you look deeper into the rap scene. I understand that you aren't calling out all rap and hip hop, but many people single it out as a genre of club themed, drug infused, gender degradation. That simply isn't the case.

To be fair, there exists rap music that you described as above, careless abut what goes into their albums. Many will remove themselves from an artistic perspective when it comes to music. If the message isn't black and white, it must not exist. People will turn away an entire genre the moment they hear a foul word, or a snarky remark about sexual orientation, or gender. But you CANNOT do that. There is a bigger picture to the music. If you wish to understand, you must think, ponder, open your mind to alternative ideas.

TV Shows are a great example. Let's take a look at The Walking Dead. The show can be gruesome at times, borderline demented for some. What is interesting to note, though, is that most people that watch it aren't demented. Most are sane human beings that genuinely enjoy the show. In fact, most that watch become more caught up in the story itself than the "in your face" content. The interactions between some of the last humans on earth, the question of morality in an unmoral world, the relationships that develop between the characters. Regardless of the fact that almost every episode includes a blood-spattering zombie death, it only exists to add to the story.

Moving back to the music, let's take a look at some artists that are heavily criticized for their content.

Kendrick Lamar is a west-coast rapper straight out of Compton, CA. His most recent album, "Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City", tells a story about his younger life in the streets, witnessing gang violence, drug abuse, and the murder of a friend of Kendrick's. A good example of what I discussed about in regards to "in your face" content, would be the track "Swimming Pools." The track is, in regards to the story, describing alcohol abuse, and how Lamar used alcohol to ease emotions. Unfortunately, many focus on the "in your face" content, and forget to search for the true meaning of the song. Lines like, "..pool full of liquor, I'ma dive in it.." and "..at the bottom of a bottle.." influence people to assume that the song is ghetto trash, when in fact, it is a contributing factor to an underlying theme.

Now to be real, this isn't true in all cases. But there is one other side of rap the flies right over peoples heads; bars. Bars are like metaphors and similes in poetry. They are a way to artfully say something else, in essence. At one time, the intricacy of a rappers bars was a surefire way to determine how "good" a rapper was. One of my favorite examples is, actually, by Lil' Wayne. I challenge you to read it, and try and understand it before continuing it. If you don't get it, go ahead and read.

"..Real G's move in silence like Lasagna.."

Did you catch that? The "Real G" he refers to is, obviously, a "gangsta." But comparing it to lasagna? Well, the "G" in lasagna is silent. I, personally, claim no such "G" lifestyle. I'm not a thug, or a gangster, but when I first heard and understood that lyric, my eyes widened. It really is smart word play, regardless of the content. It's hard to argue a "lack of care for what goes into albums," when bars are spit like that.

And that is my case for hip hop/rap. The genre is so diverse. The problem is, though, many people turn off their brains when it comes to music. They single it out and forget that it is an artform as much as poetry, visual arts, and other music is. You are correct, some people abuse the form and make senseless songs to make money. But just remember, just because a song has the word "lasagna" in it, doesn't mean it's due to a lack of care for the content.

In the words of Tyler, the Creator, "Listen deeper than the music before you put it in a box."

Last edited: