The Starbucks Red Cup Controversy

What is your POV?

• #MerryChristmasStarbucks

• #It'sJustACup

• Neither, I'm Indifferent

Results are only viewable after voting.
For those of you who may not know, many Christians are angered that Starbucks have plain red cups this year for the Christmas Season. People are going in to Starbucks and telling the baristas that their name is Merry Christmas so they have to write it on the cup and call out "Merry Christmas!" when their drink is ready. Baristas are allegedly not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" to their customers, as stated by Joshua Feuerstein. He also said in his viral video that the company "hates Jesus".

I'm curious to what this community has to say on this issue. Are you #MerryChristmasStarbucks or #It'sJustACup?

**NOTE** As this topic deals with religious beliefs, PLEASE be respectful to everyone regardless of their beliefs! Remember, debate the cup, not the people behind the cup. Follow the forum rules. If it starts to get offensive and out of control, I will ensure that the thread be shut down immediately.

For those of you who may not know, many Christians are angered that Starbucks have plain red cups this year for the Christmas Season. People are going in to Starbucks and telling the baristas that their name is Merry Christmas so they have to write it on the cup and call out "Merry Christmas!" when their drink is ready. Baristas are allegedly not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" to their customers, as stated by Joshua Feuerstein. He also said in his viral video that the company "hates Jesus".

I'm curious to what this community has to say on this issue. Are you #MerryChristmasStarbucks or #It'sJustACup?

**NOTE** As this topic deals with religious beliefs, PLEASE be respectful to everyone regardless of their beliefs! Remember, debate the cup, not the people behind the cup. Follow the forum rules. If it starts to get offensive and out of control, I will ensure that the thread be shut down immediately.
what even??? im a little irritated that people are FORCING the baristas to say merry christmas but it's also rude to say that because the costumer(s) may be offended by "merry christmas" (by religious beliefs or non religion beliefs).

to solve that particular issue why can't they say "happy holidays"?

Lindsay

I don't see the big deal, honestly. The color of the cup is the stupidest thing I can think of to fight over. Who cares what color it is? Your cup is $10, fight over that not the dang color.
As for the "Merry Christmas" thing I don't see the hassle either. What if people were saying their name was "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa"? People wouldn't blow it up to be a thing, they'd probably have news saying how adorable it was. People nowadays tend to find a problem where there isn't one. They all need to just relax. Not everything needs to be a fight.

If the company is so against it then they should have the baristas explain to the customers they need a real name and anybody that says ANYTHING religion/holiday related will not be served until they give the barista their real name and if the customer refuses then they just shout out the drink.

Zelena

Personally I think it's childish how people are over reacting to this hoopla. But like I don't see how a snowflake or a snowman wouldn't be acceptable? They could have just winterized their cups instead of making them a plain boring color. Personally I could care less what Starbucks does because it's icky and taste like hot dirt, but that's just a side note.

Kinglaser

Honestly I thought the little trees and stuff were cuter but I really don't care because my religion doesn't revolve around $8 coffee.
This ^
Who cares what a company does with their cups, why worry about words on a cup that you're just going to throw away when you're finished with it anyway?

i just dont understand how people got offended over a red cup with snowflakes on it the first place.. like literally last years cup was red w/ snowflakes i just dont understand how thats offensive.. i mean idrc, but i dont understand why it couldnt just be a winterized cup.. or even have just an assortment of cups.. have blue ones with snowflakes too for hannakuh.. or if ppl were that offended over a red cup w/ snowflakes then just ask for a plain cup. but thats just me.

aliceblue

Sorry, but the idea that "many Christians" have been angered over this has been completely drummed up. I know of no one, and I mean NO ONE among my numerous Christian acquaintances who is offended by the Starbucks red cup. This is a deliberate effort by some people in social media to stir up drama and antagonism, and I suggest that everyone just ignore it.

Sorry, but the idea that "many Christians" have been angered over this has been completely drummed up. I know of no one, and I mean NO ONE among my numerous Christian acquaintances who is offended by the Starbucks red cup. This is a deliberate effort by some people in social media to stir up drama and antagonism, and I suggest that everyone just ignore it.
i agree with u this whole thing is stupid but unfortunately i do know of people who are offended by it
i have also disowned those people

aliceblue

i agree with u this whole thing is stupid but unfortunately i do know of people who are offended by it
i have also disowned those people
Taking offense at other people being offended solves nothing IMO. It simply feeds the media beast by keeping bad feelings stirred up.

It doesn't help that rumors have gotten mixed in with facts about the Starbucks story. It's way too easy these days to get pulled in by claims that are completely false. I'm taking the liberty of posting article links from Snopes and Truth or Fiction:

http://www.snopes.com/starbucks-red-christmas-cups/

https://www.truthorfiction.com/jesu...s-christmas-cups-sparking-a-war-on-christmas/

Taking offense at other people being offended solves nothing IMO. It simply feeds the media beast by keeping bad feelings stirred up.

It doesn't help that rumors have gotten mixed in with facts about the Starbucks story. It's way too easy these days to get pulled in by claims that are completely false. I'm taking the liberty of posting article links from Snopes and Truth or Fiction:

http://www.snopes.com/starbucks-red-christmas-cups/

https://www.truthorfiction.com/jesu...s-christmas-cups-sparking-a-war-on-christmas/
o i was joking hehe
i don't really care what anyone thinks about it bc i don't even care about it i mean it's a cup
like if u hate the new cup good for you
if u love the new cup good for you

Last edited:

Kelsey

what even is the big deal it's literally a cup????? can't people worry about actual important things in the world lol

Megara

no sleep club
This is the silliest thing in the entire world. It's a cup. If you can't celebrate Christmas unless your cup has stereotypical Christmas decorations, then that seems like your own problem, not Starbucks's.

And I think this whole "go to Starbucks and make them say and write 'Merry Christmas'! That'll show 'em!" ...Really? Yeah, you're really showing Starbucks... by going and giving them your money for a cup you'll end up throwing away...

Exodus

The fact that Donald Trump took the time to speak out about this and encourage people to boycott Starbucks concerns me the most since he's the leading GOP. That alone speaks volume for a nation. I encourage our generation to remember to go out and vote. Our generations' votes have to kick him off the charts or I'm moving to Switzerland.

I don't understand why this was worthy of a debate thread...even by posting this post I feel my life slipping away...

Joshua "Dipstick" can choke on his coffee for all I care, if you're mad at a company why would you tell everyone to go out and buy their product...

Im Christian and in no way find a star bucks cup offensive. Most product design is turning very simplified anyways. who ever designed the cup probably didnt have Leaving Christmas behind in there head, and honestly so what if they did?
Not to mention the cup is still green and red, which are very much associated with Christmas, and what the heck did the previous cups have to do with the bible anyways? Santa clause and elves arent exactly part of a Christian religion, rather the Christmas culture.
Finally, I dont think employees should have to tell every customer Merry Christmas, but they should have the option to respond if someone says it to them. Just the same as Happy hanukkah or Many other religious holiday greetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk