Things do need to change. Guess I'll break the silence.

christopher12

I would very much like to add to this. Please note, I read JD's post in full, but only skimmed the replies. I apologize if I repeat anything that has already been said.

I'm not here spell out my frustrations one by one with the game. Mostly because JD has done a fine job of doing this himself and I agree with him on most everything.

I just to really re-enforce everything that has been said. To show people that these problems are REAL. That, even as a NEW PLAYER who has only been playing for MAYBE a week, sees these issues. I loved VMK as a kid. Drama happened back then as well; however, back then you could blame it on kids being kids. Most of us are adults. Yet even I have come across pointless drama since I've been playing. Even I have come across the cliques, even I have come across the bullying.

It's sad. I've even come across this pure ******** across the internet. A whole blog that has seemingly been dedicated to the mass hysteria that is VMK Drama. It's all uncalled for. This isn't even a real MMO. It's a chat/social based game. Nothing in it matters. I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but that's the harsh reality.

Now that's not to say, "Don't enjoy the game." Please, by all means do. I do. That's why I will continue playing. I love the idea of this game, the concept really. But people are dragging it down by treating/using it in ways they shouldn't.

I believe I may have gotten a bit off topic. My thoughts never really come out coherently. What I'm trying to really point out is that this game can be sooooo much more. Stop driving new players off. Start being friendly with regular players. And stop complaining about each other.

I love VMK. Let's make it fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would very much like to add to this. Please note, I read JD's post in full, but only skimmed the replies. I apologize if I repeat anything that has already been said.

I'm not here spell out my frustrations one by one with the game. Mostly because JD has done a fine job of doing this himself and I agree with him on most everything.

I just to really re-enforce everything that has been said. To show people that these problems are REAL. That, even as a NEW PLAYER who has only been playing for MAYBE a week, sees these issues. I loved VMK as a kid. Drama happened back then as well; however, back then you could blame it on kids being kids. Most of us are adults. Yet even I have come across pointless drama since I've been playing. Even I have come across the cliques, even I have come across the bullying.

It's sad. I've even come across this pure ******** across the internet. A whole blog that has seemingly been dedicated to the mass hysteria that is VMK Drama. It's all uncalled for. This isn't even a real MMO. It's a chat/social based game. Nothing in it matters. I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but that's the harsh reality.

Now that's not to say, "Don't enjoy the game." Please, by all means do. I do. That's why I will continue playing. I love the idea of this game, the concept really. But people are dragging it down by treating/using it in ways they shouldn't.

I believe I may have gotten a bit off topic. My thoughts never really come out coherently. What I'm trying to really point out is that this game can be sooooo much more. Stop driving new players off. Start being friendly with regular players. And stop complaining about each other.

I love VMK. Let's make it fantastic.
Exactly.

As said, I'm here to contribute. But it seems more and more each day that the contribution is wanted.

I'm just curious to know how staff feels about this.

I think one of the main problems is the whole mentality of "it's just the internet, so who cares" which runs rampant everywhere on the internet.
If we can actually figure out how to fix that side of things, and make people care about what happens socially in the game, it would be a great step forward for our little community.

I really do love this game, but I do find myself occasionally having to back away because of all the drama and fighting. I will admit that I basically took the first half of this year off from this game because I didn't feel like it was worth it while I was trying to get used to a new job.

And the site just lost another member who was nice on here as well.

Still awaiting for any staff to give feedback on this. When are things going to change? When are users gonna have to stop walking away?

I'm about done as well. This game shouldn't be this toxic. It really shouldn't.

Last edited:

VMK_Schweetz

Game Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Designer
MyVMK Staff
Hello there everyone!

I would like to first start off with saying that we do our absolute best to try and keep MyVMK a safe place for all players that come on to play. Unfortunately, though we do strive for the safety of the players, we cannot be around at all times of the day to catch everything that happens in every single room of the game. This is why we ask that if any of you all do see something that should not be happening, whether it be to a friend or any fellow players, that you send in a Call For Help about the situation. We will look into each individual situation as soon as we possibly can and resolve the problems.

Secondly some of the things that get reported are either not against the rules or things that we cannot catch or see unless we see them ourselves. We are limited in the ways that we find things. So if someone is causing trouble non-verbally we cannot really do anything about that unless we are there to catch what is happening visually.

Finally I would like to say that we do have a way in which we handle things. We usually warn players as a courtesy with a person's first offense and then go on from there. A warning lasts up to thirty days before we reset that warning again. We hope this helps ease your thoughts on the way things are handled!

Hello there everyone!

I would like to first start off with saying that we do our absolute best to try and keep MyVMK a safe place for all players that come on to play. Unfortunately, though we do strive for the safety of the players, we cannot be around at all times of the day to catch everything that happens in every single room of the game. This is why we ask that if any of you all do see something that should not be happening, whether it be to a friend or any fellow players, that you send in a Call For Help about the situation. We will look into each individual situation as soon as we possibly can and resolve the problems.

Secondly some of the things that get reported are either not against the rules or things that we cannot catch or see unless we see them ourselves. We are limited in the ways that we find things. So if someone is causing trouble non-verbally we cannot really do anything about that unless we are there to catch what is happening visually.

Finally I would like to say that we do have a way in which we handle things. We usually warn players as a courtesy with a person's first offense and then go on from there. A warning lasts up to thirty days before we reset that warning again. We hope this helps ease your thoughts on the way things are handled!
I guess maybe I'm just a bit bitter on the last part because I haven't been getting that treatment, at all since I've started.

I feel like anything I want to say would be better directly messaged.

Christa

probably sleeping
Perhaps if you branched out and stopped the bullying further, as in outside of VMK, because that is where the majority of the bullying happens. If someone has logs of being bullied on Skype, Kik, Twitter or Facebook (to name a few) then why not take that into account? I get that it could be seen as overstepping boundaries, but when does the bullying not overstep as well? I know that the situation is complicated but if enough people come forward about the same people or peoples bullying someone on a second-hand app or site, shouldn't that be indication enough that it is going to be reprecussed into the virtual world? Implementing punishments on anyone who is openly bullying someone on a second-hand application or website will weed out the people that take their anger/frustration out on people elsewhere.

This bullying isn't going to stop until someone puts their foot down and stomps it out from every corner as long as they have probable cause.

Hello there everyone!

So would it be better to take screenshots of what's happening and send them in to contact us with a line like " I sent a call for help in game. Here's the proof that bullying was taking place/ has been happening for a while"? And what if this carries over into Skype, Tumblr or Facebook, should we also screenshot that as well? I understand that some times when it first happens it doesn't seem like bullying, but some players have had it continually happen to them, and have seen it escalate.
I don't want to lose any more of our friendly players to this type of bully/mob mentality anymore.

Perhaps if you branched out and stopped the bullying further, as in outside of VMK, because that is where the majority of the bullying happens. If someone has logs of being bullied on Skype, Kik, Twitter or Facebook (to name a few) then why not take that into account? I get that it could be seen as overstepping boundaries, but when does the bullying not overstep as well? I know that the situation is complicated but if enough people come forward about the same people or peoples bullying someone on a second-hand app or site, shouldn't that be indication enough that it is going to be reprecussed into the virtual world? Implementing punishments on anyone who is openly bullying someone on a second-hand application or website will weed out the people that take their anger/frustration out on people elsewhere.

This bullying isn't going to stop until someone puts their foot down and stomps it out from every corner as long as they have probable cause.
I completely agree. It's happening off the site as well. Some things are inevitable. But the bullying isn't one of them. I just can't say I'm content and can accept the efforts makde already because it still runs people off.

I want everyone to understand, there is a clear difference that from being not content =/= not appreciating. The efforts made are great. I appreciate them. I still feel there can be more. The people who make the trouble aren't quiet. It's not like they aren't clearly obvious. Catching them in the act multiple times should finally result in that IP Ban that takes them off this site.

Harsher moderation to the people who use harsher jokes and run people off seems like a really fair trade to me.

So would it be better to take screenshots of what's happening and send them in to contact us with a line like " I sent a call for help in game. Here's the proof that bullying was taking place/ has been happening for a while"? And what if this carries over into Skype, Tumblr or Facebook, should we also screenshot that as well? I understand that some times when it first happens it doesn't seem like bullying, but some players have had it continually happen to them, and have seen it escalate.
I don't want to lose any more of our friendly players to this type of bully/mob mentality anymore.
Exactly how I feel. It's crazy. It really is a mob mentality. It's high school all over again and not in the good way.

goobie

violent delights
I don't know why it's not letting me quote from people. But logs can be faked or taken out of context. The best thing to do is block people or not give your usernames on Skype/Twitter to people you don't trust/don't like. As for Tumblr... just don't look at the blog if it upsets you. You don't know who is saying what and nothing can really be done there.

Christa

probably sleeping
I don't know why it's not letting me quote from people. But logs can be faked or taken out of context. The best thing to do is block people or not give your usernames on Skype/Twitter to people you don't trust/don't like. As for Tumblr... just don't look at the blog if it upsets you. You don't know who is saying what and nothing can really be done there.
And what happens when they somehow get your IP and find your skype/twitter/social media without your consent?

And what happens when they somehow get your IP and find your skype/twitter/social media without your consent?
@Whisp has a good point. I'm sure that we have some people here that will go to extremes just to put someone down, and I would rather not see that happen. I think there have also been instances of someone gaining another's trust to get their other contact info and then starting to bully and harass them.

goobie

violent delights
I've seen it happen.
IPs don't mean anything. You could use someone's Twitter account, get their IP from it and have an estimate of where they live. You can't get an IP and find a social media account. That's not how that works. Someone can use multiple IP addresses in one day. You could confirm an IP belongs to a certain user if you got that person to click a link in a message but you'd have to already have an idea. You can't take an IP and say "Out of the millions of accounts...who does this belong to?"

Anyways, this is off-topic and besides the point. The point is that staff have jurisdiction over VMK. If some type of harassment is happening on Skype or Twitter or Tumblr than that's something that should be reported on that platform. If players were to be banned based off what they're saying on websites that aren't VMK it wouldn't work because VMK staff aren't staff on those websites. They can't see the full conversation or whether or not it really happened (it's easy to fake screenshots). You're asking a lot more the staff than they are able to give in a scenario like that. Report it on the website you are being harassed on and if you see that player on VMK, ignore them.

You're asking a lot more the staff than they are able to give in a scenario like that. Report it on the website you are being harassed on and if you see that player on VMK, ignore them.
They will just move on to the next person and the cycle will continue if they decide to ignore as well. I don't believe we are asking much other than to simply punish the person due to their misbehaving self. Even if we did ignore them as a whole and they some how end up getting in trouble because staff caught on, they shouldn't be doing that in the first place.... This isn't "BullyVMK".

IPs don't mean anything. You could use someone's Twitter account, get their IP from it and have an estimate of where they live. You can't get an IP and find a social media account. That's not how that works. Someone can use multiple IP addresses in one day. You could confirm an IP belongs to a certain user if you got that person to click a link in a message but you'd have to already have an idea. You can't take an IP and say "Out of the millions of accounts...who does this belong to?"

Anyways, this is off-topic and besides the point. The point is that staff have jurisdiction over VMK. If some type of harassment is happening on Skype or Twitter or Tumblr than that's something that should be reported on that platform. If players were to be banned based off what they're saying on websites that aren't VMK it wouldn't work because VMK staff aren't staff on those websites. They can't see the full conversation or whether or not it really happened (it's easy to fake screenshots). You're asking a lot more the staff than they are able to give in a scenario like that. Report it on the website you are being harassed on and if you see that player on VMK, ignore them.
So you're saying just let it happen? Because that doesn't seem like the best solution either.

So we continue to let the community dwindle into nothing because we don't put a strong ban on the bullying? Nah. That's a terrible idea.

We need staff to fully view the logs. Ask about situations. What went down. More patrolling.

What kills me is, WE KNOW WHO IS STARTING THESE THINGS. It's the same people, every time. So what is the point in letting this continue? It's the same complaints, all the time.

I don't get why you keep trying to justify the behavior.

Scrub

nothing to do with tlc
So you're saying just let it happen? Because that doesn't seem like the best solution either.

So we continue to let the community dwindle into nothing because we don't put a strong ban on the bullying? Nah. That's a terrible idea.

We need staff to fully view the logs. Ask about situations. What went down. More patrolling.

What kills me is, WE KNOW WHO IS STARTING THESE THINGS. It's the same people, every time. So what is the point in letting this continue? It's the same complaints, all the time.

couldn't agree more with everything you've said in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

goobie

violent delights
No. I don't think you understood the context of what I was saying. I was saying that you can't expect staff to ban people based off Skype or Twitter logs like some people were wanting. I explained why that wouldn't work.

asking much other than to simply punish the person due to their misbehaving self.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished if they are breaking a rule. I'm saying they shouldn't be punished by logs from a completely different website.

Theyre are many cliques on vmk and a ton of rivalry. If people did get punished on here for "bullying" ( which can take different forms, what people say doesnt always have to be "nasty") a whoooleeee load of players would be getting bans and we would most probably lose 20-30% of the player base. I really think the best thing to do is ignore it. Its never going to stop.

Last edited: