This generation. Your thoughts?

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
The Debates section is dead, so let's see if I can *hopefully* revive it with a CALM discussion.

This generation, there are three things being widely discussed about, so I'd like to know your thoughts about it.

1: Electronics. Personally, I believe electronics are a huge benefit to mankind.

2: Clothing. Fashions change - we all have the right to wear what makes us feel confident, comfortable, and healthy - if it's not your body, there's a 99% chance it's not your problem.

3: Stereotypes.

Last edited:

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
Oh....I love it when someone tries to stereotype me in person or any friend of mine because I love seeing the reactions on their faces. I have been accused of being someone whose satanic or isn't very bright because of how I dress/look with clothing/only appear to care about working out and staying in shape. I rip those people to shreds mentally who think they're so smart and if need be, in other ways as well, sometimes physically and spiritually to make a point and teach a lesson.There's nothing better than watching someone completely dumbfounded after they've attempted to break you first. I think that teaches people the greatest lesson of all when it comes to stereotyping. One way or another, human beings have to learn not to judge a book by it's cover and some just catch on quicker than others.

The generation in which we live depends too much on electronics, regards the value of other peoples opinions rather than our own, and insists upon resorting towards a sense of stereotyping based on preexisting notions of how someone should be. If do not begin to shift our ideals towards a more independent, free thinking lifestyle, generations after us will continue to apply these techniques, and slide further and further into a more crazed idealism.

Electronics and clothing fall under a material category which I believe are free to be used by the individual as he or she wishes although he or she should consider the consequences of his or her actions using any material. Personally I won't judge someone by what makes him or her happy as long as it is not used out of cruelty or in spite of someone who has truly done no wrong. It's ok to not approve of or like what someone is using or wearing because you wouldn't use or wear it yourself, but it's not fair to treat another individual so differently and/or wrongly when we must remind ourselves we have done wrong and probably things we use or wear others don't like, too. I believe that breeding contempt, hate, paranoia other negative feelings within oneself (other than those that cannot be helped to be felt but tried to overcome such as grief, psychological trauma, remorse) and deflecting it towards another is as negatively impacting as keeping it inside. The best is to just let it go with time which is easier with knowledge, patience, support, understanding.

As for stereotypes, I think we are starting to see a change in truly embracing diversity as a society and relinquishing antiquated labels and beliefs associated with them. Although fighting on different levels still ensues because people are too stubborn to accept the differences in others without imposing their own beliefs on them even though most differences in others are not causing any more harm than what harm there is by more important issues that run deeper than the superficial such as greed for money and power which is basically the common cause for most problems because there is always going to be someone arrogant most likely ignorant enough who can't realize that there is more important pressing issues than his or her self. They want to be the alpha, be superior, win all the time, and cannot accept fair defeat or that they made a mistake gracefully.

Going back to generations overall, there's good in every one as there is bad but we've taken to learn from our mistakes and people want to move forward and teach new generations that we can only do so for the better. Yes the technological generation is more educated and resourceful, but remember it is those before this generation who created the technological era before us also being resourceful and then the generation before them who worked for their kids to live a comfortable life to be successful, so on and so forth. So I'd say it's not entirely correct to say one generation is better than the other as each has its pros and cons. Most important is that we learned and try to be open to learn from each other and different people. Parents, children, grandparents, etc. What we have to kick out of the system of American kids though is stubbornness because I do agree that they may be prone to being spoiled in this day and age, even on the level of the public education system. We have to remember the most important is to raise healthy kids with good character, a mind of his or her own, and respect.

Monorail

1. I'd say our generation is dependent on electronics. But do I see that as a problem? Not at all. Dependency on "things" has been a part of human nature for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. I mean, look at print. Before electronics, people were reading all the time! Newspapers, magazines, billboards, etc. I say that the electronics era is merely a change in medium. It has opened up a generation to express and learn in ways we'd have never dreamed of 50 years ago. Is a constant dependence a bad thing? I'd say it isn't. Rather, I'd say it's the driving force in technological advancement. As humans become more engrossed in the information age, we continue to push our technological knowledge further. Who knows, maybe within the next 100 years, we reach a new medium that surpasses "electronics," and we'll look at electronics of today the way we look at the newspaper of yesterday. In the words of 'The Carousel of Progress,' "Life just can't get any better!" But alas, it always does.

2. I think our generation is, in essence, becoming a "judge a book by its cover" generation. No longer is there a need to physically speak to a person to know who they are. You can generally figure out a lot by simply looking at a blog they own, an instagram they run, or the way they act. I think this goes into clothing as well. People dress a particular way to attract a particular crowd. You wear a certain name brand to show people that it is what you're into, and that you associate with what the brand stands for (i.e. nike sportswear for sports, etc). Clothing has become a way of expression, a way for them to exhibit their interests, what they enjoy, and to let other people know they are into that as well. People tell you not to judge a book by its cover because the cover could be misleading to the story, but to be frank, our generation is all about putting it out there, about being yourself. Today, what people wear is a good indication of who they are.

3. To be 100% honest, I think most people today are to soft-hearted when it comes to words. It sounds mean, but it's just me.

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
^ I disagree with some of these statements in 1, 2 and 3 and I’ll give a few examples why

In regards to 1.) depending on electronics too much is a problem. Why? I'll give a prime example. Let's say a cosmic event happens that's out of our control or not (likely to happen due to the way human beings are treating the planet and tearing the atmosphere to shreds anyway -won’t go into that though here...) and all the man-made satellites in space are wiped out. There goes anything done online, the world wide web including all banking systems etc. I don't have to explain what would happen as a result of that in this new day and age until things were eventually fixed since that's how humans are used to living now, with these things. In regards to 2.) no longer needing to see or speak to someone physically is a ridiculous notion to think you know someone just because you've read a few blogs or something. Not to mention, many people don't bother with twitters, facebooks etc social media sites etc. Also, people dress the way they want to dress - I highly doubt people dress to attract certain crowds <----- that sounds like what people try to do in jr. high(?). lol. A joke even at that age I think for human beings because people see through that stuff in reality. You can’t fake who you really are. Also, I've seen people wear some really bad slogans on a shirt such as lyrics or something but it doesn't mean they're bad people. I've met some of the nicest people in the world that look like they probably belong and would enjoy swinging an axe on some ancient battlefield into someone else's skull to be frank lol. In regards to 3.) I agree with that but only online I think. For whatever reason, some people aren't serious enough actually. Sure there's a time and play to have fun and joke etc but life is too short not to take at least some of it serious in reality.Heck, work has to be serious for money to eat, have a roof over your head etc as well as someones personal health and ambition needs to be serious.

Monorail

^ I disagree with some of these statements in 1, 2 and 3 and I’ll give a few examples why

In regards to 1.) depending on electronics too much is a problem. Why? I'll give a prime example. Let's say a cosmic event happens that's out of our control or not (likely to happen due to the way human beings are treating the planet and tearing the atmosphere to shreds anyway -won’t go into that though here...) and all the man-made satellites in space are wiped out. There goes anything done online, the world wide web including all banking systems etc. I don't have to explain what would happen as a result of that in this new day and age until things were eventually fixed since that's how humans are used to living now, with these things. In regards to 2.) no longer needing to see or speak to someone physically is a ridiculous notion to think you know someone just because you've read a few blogs or something. Not to mention, many people don't bother with twitters, facebooks etc social media sites etc. Also, people dress the way they want to dress - I highly doubt people dress to attract certain crowds <----- that sounds like what people try to do in jr. high(?). lol. A joke even at that age I think for human beings because people see through that stuff in reality. You can’t fake who you really are. Also, I've seen people wear some really bad slogans on a shirt such as lyrics or something but it doesn't mean they're bad people. I've met some of the nicest people in the world that look like they probably belong and would enjoy swinging an axe on some ancient battlefield into someone else's skull to be frank lol. In regards to 3.) I agree with that but only online I think. For whatever reason, some people aren't serious enough actually. Sure there's a time and play to have fun and joke etc but life is too short not to take at least some of it serious in reality.Heck, work has to be serious for money to eat, have a roof over your head etc as well as someones personal health and ambition needs to be serious.
1. A reliance on ANYTHING will make humans vulnerable to an event as you describe. Say we had information in print, and there was a fire. They'd be gone. Sure, we can talk hypothetical all we want. But what is assured is that the more interest invested, the more advancements made. The better the technology gets, the smaller and smaller those hypotheticals become. A good example is the printing press. We needed to be able to print quickly and efficiently. Why? The interest in books, specifically the Bible. If everyone had been like, "Welp, these books are taking over our generation!" we would have never seen a printing press, etc.

2. I never claimed that you would never ever need to speak to someone at all. I simply stated that a lot can be determined of a person by what they do, the social networks they use, how they dress, etc. I think you aren't understanding what I meant by my statement about "attracting crowds." People will wear band t-shirts to broadcast the fact that they enjoy that band, or that type of music. People will wear a soccer jersey to broadcast that they enjoy the sport, maybe even the player. People will wear a brand to broadcast a message.

Let's look at your example with slogans. Maybe their shirt says something like, "F--- Obama." Sure, that is pretty obscene. To say they are an obscene person is an assumption, and is in no way what I'm talking about. To say they don't like Obama is reading the message they broadcast. To say they are willing to be obscene for their political beliefs is reading the message they broadcast. Hey, maybe I'm a moderate too. I know that I have a common ground with that personn, because of the message they convey. I could even use you as an example. Looking at your signature, name, and avatar, I could make the assumption that you worship the devil. Rather, I could interpret your message as music being important to you, and that you are into the Metal Goth scene. Further, I could say that you associate well with people that like the same thing.

I'm not saying I shouldn't talk to you, or get to know you. I'm not saying I know you as a person now. I'm saying that the messages you convey may or may not give me motive to get to know you. And as you said, sure, someone could fake it. What I'm saying is that, today, my generation is using the medium of fashion and clothing to push these messages. They use what they wear to show who they are, and to let other people know who they are as well. It isn't necessarily for other people, but rather, for most, with other people in mind.

3. Meh, was just my opinion

Last edited:

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
1. A reliance on ANYTHING will make humans vulnerable to an event as you describe. Say we had information in print, and there was a fire. They'd be gone. Sure, we can talk hypothetical all we want. But what is assured is that the more interest invested, the more advancements made. The better the technology gets, the smaller and smaller those hypotheticals become. A good example is the printing press. We needed to be able to print quickly and efficiently. Why? The interest in books, specifically the Bible. If everyone had been like, "Welp, these books are taking over our generation!" we would have never seen a printing press, etc.

2. I never claimed that you would never ever need to speak to someone at all. I simply stated that a lot can be determined of a person by what they do, the social networks they use, how they dress, etc. I think you aren't understanding what I meant by my statement about "attracting crowds." People will wear band t-shirts to broadcast the fact that they enjoy that band, or that type of music. People will wear a soccer jersey to broadcast that they enjoy the sport, maybe even the player. People will wear a brand to broadcast a message.

Let's look at your example with slogans. Maybe their shirt says something like, "F--- Obama." Sure, that is pretty obscene. To say they are an obscene person is an assumption, and is in no way what I'm talking about. To say they don't like Obama is reading the message they broadcast. To say they are willing to be obscene for their political beliefs is reading the message they broadcast. Hey, maybe I'm a moderate too. I know that I have a common ground with that personn, because of the message they convey. I could even use you as an example. Looking at your signature, name, and avatar, I could make the assumption that you worship the devil. Rather, I could interpret your message as music being important to you, and that you are into the Metal Goth scene. Further, I could say that you associate well with people that like the same thing.

I'm not saying I shouldn't talk to you, or get to know you. I'm not saying I know you as a person now. I'm saying that the messages you convey may or may not give me motive to get to know you. And as you said, sure, someone could fake it. What I'm saying is that, today, my generation is using the medium of fashion and clothing to push these messages. They use what they wear to show who they are, and to let other people know who they are as well. It isn't necessarily for other people, but rather, for most, with other people in mind.

3. Meh, was just my opinion
-----------------

^ In regards to 1.) advancement in technology isn't always a good thing. Sure, medicine etc can help to provide a longer life for certain beings but their are pros and cons to technology and I think that's something anyone can see/agree on no matter what your opinion is on that matter.
2.) Yes, and to make any assumptions such as those makes anyone look like a [ ] you know what and its offensive to call someone a devil worshipper to some so I'd be careful who you say that to offline even though I know your just saying that as an example, not saying I am etc. The fact is I know more about the opposite and religion then most people have come to understand in a lifetime so there's irony in that lol. That's a prime example of why someone shouldn't judge another person ONLINE over a computer you know. I disagree that a message someone sends ONLINE is a motive or not to understand them. I think the human race has to open their mind to everything before they can understand anything on both a spiritual and mental level.

[DOUBLEPOST=1405034899][/DOUBLEPOST]
My viewpoint on this generation:

^ hmmm also, is it just me or is that little girl saying 'what is wrong with all you people...' haha. There are many things I don't get about this generation and why the 'latest and greatest' cell phones or computers or games as soooo, sooo deathly important. Kids these days need to go outside more and get more exercise, that's blunt but the truth of it.

Last edited:

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
-----------------

^ In regards to 1.) advancement in technology isn't always a good thing. Sure, medicine etc can help to provide a longer life for certain beings but their are pros and cons to technology and I think that's something anyone can see/agree on no matter what your opinion is on that matter.
2.) Yes, and to make any assumptions such as those makes anyone look like a [ ] you know what and its offensive to call someone a devil worshipper to some so I'd be careful who you say that to offline even though I know your just saying that as an example, not saying I am etc. The fact is I know more about the opposite and religion then most people have come to understand in a lifetime so there's irony in that lol. That's a prime example of why someone shouldn't judge another person ONLINE over a computer you know. I disagree that a message someone sends ONLINE is a motive or not to understand them. I think the human race has to open their mind to everything before they can understand anything on both a spiritual and mental level.

[DOUBLEPOST=1405034899][/DOUBLEPOST]

^ hmmm also, is it just me or is that little girl saying 'what is wrong with all you people...' haha
nah I think she's definitely saying "dang u need more oreos in ur life"

Monorail

-----------------

1. Sure, I agree. But, from my perspective at least, the pros far outweigh the cons. Life expectancy, medicine, tight-knit global community, etc.

2. Right, and that was exactly what I was saying. The message I received from you had nothing to do with religion, spirituality, morality, etc. It was just reading what you broadcasted. But say I find Metal offensive, maybe I won't want to get to know you. I know it seems bad, but it's the way people think sometimes, you know?

I also definitely agree with your last statement. There's so much out there for people to discover, but time and time again they are restricted by the box they call their minds. They draw these lines in the sand that they never want to cross, and it creates a close minded individual. That's why I have such a hope for the information age generation, for my generation. We are just that. Information is everywhere. This is the first time in history that information is essentially free. We have the means to learn anything about anything, and it's right here in our hands, our pockets, on our desks, etc. We are at the forefront of a new renaissance, and to simply look at this precious medium and say, "Pfft, stupid kids. Why don't you go play outside or something," is near ludicrous to me (don't get me wrong here, I'm a very active person, and believe that the world would be great if more people played outside). To say that technology is not in our future is a very outlandish idea. Rather than attempt to push it away, we should embrace it. We should be teaching kids how it can change lives, and make the world a better place, not abandoning it.

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
^ In response to 2.) That's the downfall of any human being who cannot see past their own personal world. Without completely going into another subject meant for a different thread (don't get your panties in a wad over this and start an argument if you don't believe in religion - talking to anyone who reads this and disagrees); let me just say this a simple and short form why judgments don't matter nor should they be given without getting into specifics over religion: A.) Your creator is the only being who can judge you. B.) Human beings are who they are on the inside, their true form and true self not by what they wear or like or dislike. C.) Your creator puts people into situations to help others who struggle with negative and dark thoughts of self infliction or harm onto others by way of murder etc.

As for the other statement, adults should be teaching kids not to repeat bad history. Sure, we can embrace technology that benefits people but you have to draw the line and know when its harmful and learn from certain mistakes instead of repeating them - I.E. simply because it makes you richer and you line your pockets with profit. Progression and technology isn't always driven by benefit. That has to be changed. The world is in a downward spiral, whereas someone wants to admit it or not -ignore it etc. That's a fact. Each generation is responsible to help make changes, for the future. As far as as the percentage of human beings that need devote more time to exercise and working out keeps rising in America for example - you think that's not coincidence and directly correlated to how lazy people become as certain technology has risen with this generation? Of course that's a problem in America now. The health and well being of kids is a huge problem. They are the ones who will be in charge for the next generation to come etc etc. Things do have to change and not just the health of human beings also changing to make the planet healthier, not adding to the problem and making it ten times worse as each decade passes by simply saying 'oh well..' Earth won't be here if beings keep that mindset.

I agree what most people post online on social media and their interests they have in certain ideas/materials such as clothing and electronics may give an impression of who they are, but you can never know for sure if there's more to a person and know who they really are until you talk to them with an open mind and try to understand for yourself without the influence of others' opinions, without what they choose to appear like at face value - need to know where they are coming from by talking to them and/or research. Who are they deep down as a person? In especially the business field which I had a slight background in as a former accounting major...and in healthcare; learning about different cultures, mannerisms, and differences in all people is important not only for being able to work with others who you may not be familiar with on the job but also important for personal growth (not repeating bad history with ignorance usually followed by arrogance) by at least giving most (unless someone seriously acts like a serial killer or gives a bad vibe that threatens you or others yeah better run or stand your ground lol) people the benefit of a doubt regardless age, gender, race, sexual orientation etc. Who knows someone you thought who's totally different than you may share similar interests and is a lot different in personality/views than those attributed to his or her style of choice in clothing, electronics, etc. As this idea has come into fruition with this day and age of technology/media/social circumstances and norms of accepting diversity, people just need to be more aware by remembering during real life circumstances happening to them when they can prevent themselves from moving backwards in time and remind themselves to think outside of well, themselves lol That's where personal growth starts at least first after one is healthy and educated enough.

Fortunately I am beginning to notice a more accepting youth of other cultures especially of the minorities and outgrowing the old stigmas that old generations may have had. Cliques are not so clear cut anymore as social groups across the board compose of people with different ethnic backgrounds, aren't solely based on those who are carbon copies of each other with most of the same interests and background. People are beginning to realize past someone's skin, culture, style, entire past, preference in material is not the most important - it's the person as a whole, and how they move on and react is a better indicator of telling who they are. However although this typically applies to the middle class, there is a socioeconomic factor that still plays relatively more in with how the rich usually hang with the rich and poor with the poor because they identify with those in their financial circumstance/social class. Understandably it's more out of comfort now with people perhaps than racist attitudes, but as good as stereotyping is to identify the bad from the good people, stereotyping to the extent that you think you know all about a person based on one episode, aggregation of data although helpful to contributing to the cause of knowledge - isn't enough until you ask questions, really listen, and have a genuine conversation(s) preferably more with a person. When one doesn't understand or know enough about another or something is the problem. I'm not saying you have to be nice and talk to strangers like buddies although it's fun to do because unexpectedly you can make a new interesting friend contrary to people you usually identify with, it's your choice but it is out of one's own best interest especially in business, healthcare when you are negotiating or taking care of different clientele or patients. Even outside business, healthcare, it's as important and interesting to learn new customs/things about different people, how why they do/say things and where they come from although you may not necessarily agree with them on certain issues. They are there so heck why not take the opportunity to learn. With not only knowledge, but also patience and understanding is how greatness within oneself can be achieved by a person testing their boundaries even going beyond them. One who can break out from who they are, explore and learn about new things or people is when one can learn more about his or her self and change and grow from there. Just my thoughts to elaborate on points more or less made after reading other posts. I may sound optimistic, but if you don't believe in something how will it ever come true until you start with the truth seeking it yourself? Even if you don't find or know it all, the journey is the most enlightening, humbling experience of all to learn more about oneself, the world and everything in it. Even more.

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
I'm reminded of a quote and I'd like to share due to the discussions and that is this ~

" The great lesson to learn of life is the need of giving out from the abundance of one's self in order to be ever abundant within one's self. "

Now think on that for a while, a man can say wise words. The eternal question is, does the mind/soul/heart etc. accept to open those words? I'll leave you to ponder over that, anyone reading this, that is... ~