transgender rights

Whispered

except, there's a huge difference between avoid hiring/firing someone not fit for the job that's say, female or black(or both), and avoid hiring/firing because they're female and/or black.
there is a line on what is discrimination and what isn't. that's not the issue. the issue, again, is people discriminating regardless, and people are suffering because of it.
And I guarantee you that if I opened up a coffee shop anywhere and only hired men, or only hired white people over 35 and under 39, etc, I'd be forced out of business quickly. Even in the south, people are starting to boycott businesses that practice discrimination - and economically, that's a lot better than the government butting in.

gravebound

not actually a grave
And I guarantee you that if I opened up a coffee shop anywhere and only hired men, or only hired white people over 35 and under 39, etc, I'd be forced out of business quickly. Even in the south, people are starting to boycott businesses that practice discrimination - and economically, that's a lot better than the government butting in.
capitalism is something i don't feel i can debate well, i'd rather not go there.

Whispered

capitalism is something i don't feel i can debate well, i'd rather not go there.
Fine by me. I'm always happy to end a debate (and find it more mature and respectful) if either party does not feel they can continue either civilly or truthfully (I'll admit I'd be researching as I go along if we debated capitalism in depth).

Good on ya for the maturity, fuh reelz.

gravebound

not actually a grave
Fine by me. I'm always happy to end a debate (and find it more mature and respectful) if either party does not feel they can continue either civilly or truthfully (I'll admit I'd be researching as I go along if we debated capitalism in depth).

same to you. i know we don't see the same way, but you did raise some good points! i enjoyed talking to you. have a good rest of the week

same to you. i know we don't see the same way, but you did raise some good points! i enjoyed talking to you. have a good rest of the week
I just want to applaud both of you for holding a respectful and peaceful debate (from what I've read). Yes you didn't agree but you don't have to agree. I'm always elated when I see people agree to disagree, let it be, and still be friendly! :) Good job guys! I'm proud of both of you!

This is exactly what we were going over in science class today, and I'm going to quote something my teacher said:

"You can't switch genders, your gender is part of your DNA and it can't be removed or changed, if you have a Y chromosome you're a guy, and that's that. You can't be a girl. You can do things to physically change yourself to look like another gender, but you can't change what you are."

"This being said, I don't really agree with transgenders. You simply can't be the other gender, you are what you were born with and nothing can change that. I believe that God created you to be exactly who you are, and you shouldn't try to change it, you weren't a mistake. I don't really understand how one can "feel" like a certain gender. Gender is no more than genetics, the only effect gender has on your life is how your body reacts to the genetics. It doesn't physically do anything to your brain. Everyone is different, some like certain things and some like other things. You should agree with who you are, and just be yourself. I don't see a need to label yourself a transgender just because you don't "feel like your gender"."

EDIT: this is my teacher's opinion, not mine ^

Now, going onto the subject about rights. I believe that nobody should be treated different just because they aren't the same as everyone else. Let people be who they want to be, and just leave it at that. If they don't effect your life, then you shouldn't bother with them.

Last edited:

Megara

no sleep club
This is exactly what we were going over in science class today, and I'm going to quote something my teacher said:

"You can't switch genders, your gender is part of your DNA and it can't be removed or changed, if you have a Y chromosome you're a guy, and that's that. You can't be a girl. You can do things to physically change yourself to look like another gender, but you can't change what you are."

This being said, I don't really agree with transgenders. You simply can't be the other gender, you are what you were born with and nothing can change that. I believe that God created you to be exactly who you are, and you shouldn't try to change it, you weren't a mistake. I don't really understand how one can "feel" like a certain gender. Gender is no more than genetics, the only effect gender has on your life is how your body reacts to the genetics. It doesn't physically do anything to your brain. Everyone is different, some like certain things and some like other things. You should agree with who you are, and just be yourself. I don't see a need to label yourself a transgender just because you don't "feel like your gender".
I just want to say beforehand that I don't mean disrespect or mean this to sound rude in any way, and I also want to apologize because I'm writing this on my phone and I'm probably going to be making some errors.

I also want to clarify that I'm not transgender.

But, I found your comment very... uncomfortable to read. It sounds like you're telling people what they can and can't be, when you yourself haven't personally been through the feeling of not being comfortable in your own body, or moreso, "disagreeing" with your gender.

Many people are born a certain gender and do not feel that is who they are. People's brains do not have to match their body. One can be born a female, and feel that is a complete misinterpretation of who they actually are - they, instead, actually feel as if they are a male trapped in a females body - and vice versa. That is highly plausible. Many people feel that way. I find it quite disheartening to read that you think people should be forced to be happy with the body they are given, even if they truly aren't.

Edit: I also want to apologize if I completely misunderstood what you wrote.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I just want to say beforehand that I don't mean disrespect or mean this to sound rude in any way, and I also want to apologize because I'm writing this on my phone and I'm probably going to be making some errors.

But, I found your comment very... uncomfortable to read. It sounds like you're telling people what they can and can't be, when you yourself haven't personally been through the feeling of not being comfortable in your own body, or moreso, "disagreeing" with your gender.

Many people are born a certain gender and do not feel that is who they are. People's brains do not have to match their body. One can be born a female, and feel that is a complete misinterpretation of who they actually are - they, instead, actually feel as if they are a male trapped in a females body - and vice versa. That is highly plausible. Many people feel that way. I find it quite disheartening to read that you think people should be forced to be happy with the body they are given, even if they truly aren't.

Thank you. I agree 150% w/ you. Even though I'm not trans, I have so much respect for those that are. Stay strong!! I can't imagine how hard it must be. :hug:

Oh I know, I was just explaining what my science teacher had said to us, that's how he made it seem. Although I'm not a transgender, I do understand what it's like to feel like I'm in the wrong body. I believe that people should be happy with themselves, and who they truly are, not who they are forced to be. Sorry if I made it unclear that I was commenting on my teacher's point of view.

Jasmine

This being said, I don't really agree with transgenders. You simply can't be the other gender, you are what you were born with and nothing can change that. I believe that God created you to be exactly who you are, and you shouldn't try to change it, you weren't a mistake. I don't really understand how one can "feel" like a certain gender. Gender is no more than genetics, the only effect gender has on your life is how your body reacts to the genetics. It doesn't physically do anything to your brain. Everyone is different, some like certain things and some like other things. You should agree with who you are, and just be yourself. I don't see a need to label yourself a transgender just because you don't "feel like your gender".

Now, going onto the subject about rights. I believe that nobody should be treated different just because they aren't the same as everyone else. Let people be who they want to be, and just leave it at that. If they don't effect your life, then you shouldn't bother with them.
I just wanted to add that brain scans have actually be done on transgender people and the conclusions were that there are brain differences in those who are transgender. Some studies have shown, for example, that FTM transgender people had white matter similar to that of a biologically male brain. Their brains were determined to be a mixture of both "masculinized" and "feminized" (those are the researchers' words, not mine).

And while I agree that I don't exactly understand the "feeling" as the other gender component (I only feel this way when it comes to people who identify as both genders or no gender though), there is a biological basis for those who are considered transsexual. @Kirito, if I were you, that's something I'd bring up with the teacher. He shouldn't be showing bias when it comes to topics like this, especially if it's going to cause you to believe misconceptions (such as that there's no biological basis for gender). It basically sounds like he'd disagree with the whole concept of psychology (and probably psychiatry too). smh

I just wanted to add that brain scans have actually be done on transgender people and the conclusions were that there are brain differences in those who are transgender. Some studies have shown, for example, that FTM transgender people had white matter similar to that of a biologically male brain. Their brains were determined to be a mixture of both "masculinized" and "feminized" (those are the researchers' words, not mine).

And while I agree that I don't exactly understand the "feeling" as the other gender component (I only feel this way when it comes to people who identify as both genders or no gender though), there is a biological basis for those who are considered transsexual. @Kirito, if I were you, that's something I'd bring up with the teacher. He shouldn't be showing bias when it comes to topics like this, especially if it's going to cause you to believe misconceptions (such as that there's no biological basis for gender). It basically sounds like he'd disagree with the whole concept of psychology (and probably psychiatry too). smh
The reason he is probably teaching that way is because I go to a Christian school. If he taught that it wasn't a bad thing, then he'd probably get fired. I also think that he isn't very educated in that form of science, so he was just trying to tell us information off what he knows, not everything.

Jasmine

The reason he is probably teaching that way is because I go to a Christian school. If he taught that it wasn't a bad thing, then he'd probably get fired. I also think that he isn't very educated in that form of science, so he was just trying to tell us information off what he knows, not everything.
Yeah, I get that, and that's exactly why I think it's something that should be brought up. I know that many Christians tend to shun trans people (because they feel as if they're gay and just not admitting it), but I think that if they knew about the biological differences, then they would understand just how real it can be.

gravebound

not actually a grave
Yeah, I get that, and that's exactly why I think it's something that should be brought up. I know that many Christians tend to shun trans people (because they feel as if they're gay and just not admitting it), but I think that if they knew about the biological differences, then they would understand just how real it can be.
especially since transgenderism is seen as being "extremely gay" when the two are independent of each other.