Transmission Received... Our new minigame: Star Commander!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardGirl

Ace is the name, room recreation is the game.
bug? maybe. it counts as you not moving if you dont talk or switch rooms and kicks you out even if youre running and shooting. also sometimes the x button brings it to fullscreen. one time it did that and my character disappeared so i had to relog.

edit: so it happened again. the x button brought me to full screen and i was invisible. other people can see me and my text, but both are invisible to me. it is also impossible to kill a player in this state.

edit #2: sometimes when you enter the "up" tunnel in the quest deck, you get stuck below the floor. also have to relog for this.

this game is awesome tbh yall did a good job

Last edited:

Squiggle

There is a bug where if you send the claw down to pick you up and them leave the room, you will get stuck inside the other room unable to move but still able to shoot. The claw will come down again to pick you up.

But that's legitimately the whole idea behind how the points system works. You get more points for each kill when you have a lot of points. So by banking your points and starting over at zero, you get fewer points for each kill. There's no reason to even have the points system work that way if you can't bank your points, anyways.

Even if you could bank your points, the game ALREADY has a built-in mechanism that gives you a reason to risk your points and not cash out after each kill.
I get your point, but then why bank them at all? The idea is that you need to risk them to get more, so if there is a bank it takes away all incentive to actually risk it. Using completely made up numbers, say when you cash in 100 points, you get 50c. Ideally a person who cashes in every hundred points earned, would get 500c after ten rounds. But, say a person who cashes in 1000 points all at one time gets the 500c plus a bonus 200c for cashing in a larger amount. This person is being rewarded for the risk they took, in this case keeping on playing without cashing out early. If we allowed a bank to happen, then the same person who risked nothing and quit each level after getting 100 points will have the opportunity to bank 1000 points and cash them all out at once to amount to the same 700c that the person who actually took the risk got. That then ruins all incentive to actually play the game and have the opportunity to risk points at all. If there were some sort of buy in to play the game, then maybe a bank system would make sense, otherwise the competitive edge the game has goes completely away.

I get your point, but then why bank them at all? The idea is that you need to risk them to get more, so if there is a bank it takes away all incentive to actually risk it. Using completely made up numbers, say when you cash in 100 points, you get 50c. Ideally a person who cashes in every hundred points earned, would get 500c after ten rounds. But, say a person who cashes in 1000 points all at one time gets the 500c plus a bonus 200c for cashing in a larger amount. This person is being rewarded for the risk they took, in this case keeping on playing without cashing out early. If we allowed a bank to happen, then the same person who risked nothing and quit each level after getting 100 points will have the opportunity to bank 1000 points and cash them all out at once to amount to the same 700c that the person who actually took the risk got. That then ruins all incentive to actually play the game and have the opportunity to risk points at all. If there were some sort of buy in to play the game, then maybe a bank system would make sense, otherwise the competitive edge the game has goes completely away.
It's pretty clear that you either didn't really read my message or didn't understand it. I'll try saying it again in a slightly different way, I guess. The game gives you bonus points for each kill, depending on how many points you have already. Shooting someone when you have 500 points gives you significantly more points than shooting someone when you have zero points. That is the way the scoring works. So the incentive to keep playing and risking your points is that the more points you're risking, the quicker you're able to earn points. Yes, the person that cashes out 10 times with 100 points each would get the same amount of credits as someone that cashes out once with 1000 points. However, assuming you don't die at all in either scenario, it would be FAR faster to score 1000 points than to score 100 points 10 times. The scoring system ALREADY incentivizes risking your points, because the more points you have, the faster you can accumulate points. Cashing out more times in lower intervals would be safer, but it would also be much slower.

And I realize that when the store opens up, that will alleviate the problem to some extent, since you'll be able to cash out some of your points by spending them. But even so, if there's no way to bank your points, there's no way to save up for an expensive item in the shop. I don't see why we should prevent people from saving up little by little and slowly working their way towards prizes, especially when you consider that the point system is already set up to incentivize taking risks.

Amy

Head Administrator
It's pretty clear that you either didn't really read my message or didn't understand it. I'll try saying it again in a slightly different way, I guess. The game gives you bonus points for each kill, depending on how many points you have already. Shooting someone when you have 500 points gives you significantly more points than shooting someone when you have zero points. That is the way the scoring works. So the incentive to keep playing and risking your points is that the more points you're risking, the quicker you're able to earn points. Yes, the person that cashes out 10 times with 100 points each would get the same amount of credits as someone that cashes out once with 1000 points. However, assuming you don't die at all in either scenario, it would be FAR faster to score 1000 points than to score 100 points 10 times. The scoring system ALREADY incentivizes risking your points, because the more points you have, the faster you can accumulate points. Cashing out more times in lower intervals would be safer, but it would also be much slower.

And I realize that when the store opens up, that will alleviate the problem to some extent, since you'll be able to cash out some of your points by spending them. But even so, if there's no way to bank your points, there's no way to save up for an expensive item in the shop. I don't see why we should prevent people from saving up little by little and slowly working their way towards prizes, especially when you consider that the point system is already set up to incentivize taking risks.
This is kind of moot... you don't buy things in the store with points, you buy them with magic band "points" which are separate, you exchange your star commander points for either credits or magic band points when you want to. Irreversibly.

SnoBun

Snob/Official Rilla Grandma
This is kind of moot... you don't buy things in the store with points, you buy them with magic band "points" which are separate, you exchange your star commander points for either credits or magic band points when you want to. Irreversibly.
OOOOOOH so essentially we kind of can "save up" because we can exchange them for band "points" and don't have to immediately spend those band "points"?

I really like the risk and the ability to earn more points by shooting those with high points :) But that'd be kind of cool if we also can save up in a way before "spending" them :)

First off the game is super fun and I have convinced the hubby to play more after he saw it. Hopefully this will keep the community more active.

Now for some bugs I have noticed. I have played on two different computers and will separate bugs accordingly.

Alienware with windows 10 on internet edge: when I enter sometimes I do not show up, do not see others, and cannot see my text but others can see me and my text. However I can see other players and their messages when they show up in the room.

Handbuilt PC using windows vista and Google chrome: I crash. A lot. It even crashes the myvmk homepage I log in/launch the client with. It is laggy.

Both computers: sometimes when I fire, it does not show the laser animation and the other player does not get hit but my shots do drain; sometimes when you shoot, the laser beam "sticks" to the wall and looks like a little red line just hanging there (does not effect gameplay); the "play" button in the lobby does not always register; when I would die my overall kills would not disappear but others count would start over after they died

If I notice anymore bugs I will post them along with what computer I was using.

Obviously its very early on, but I was thinking it could be cool to implement some kind of computer interface to play against when there arent as many people playing, which I assume will go down once it becomes profitable lol, but it got me thinking. Maybe have Zurg's minions pop up now and again to kill. Perhaps even Zurg himself could pop in once in a while, and be much harder to kill (three consecutive shots, for example). Just an idea I had!

Obviously its very early on, but I was thinking it could be cool to implement some kind of computer interface to play against when there arent as many people playing, which I assume will go down once it becomes profitable lol, but it got me thinking. Maybe have Zurg's minions pop up now and again to kill. Perhaps even Zurg himself could pop in once in a while, and be much harder to kill (three consecutive shots, for example). Just an idea I had!
This is a super cool idea. And killing Zurg earns you a Zurg helmet. But killing Zurg would have to be very difficult and only shows up once a day so people don't rack up on Zurg helmets

This game is so awesome but I already have nervous diarrhea trying to shoot at someone now haha.
I noticed that you have to be right at someone to shoot them?
Me and someone were dancing around trying to shoot each other and while we were both perfectly aiming at each other, nothing happened until like I said, I was basically on her and shot (RIP)[DOUBLEPOST=1522380532][/DOUBLEPOST]I just want to stress this again, THIS GAME WAS SUCH A GOOD IDEA, I really love it

Last edited:
I would love a list or sidebar to show you how many people are currently playing/who is playing! I've gone to play a few times and I've walked around for a bit looking for people. I ended up quitting because it didn't seem as though anyone was on.

I would love a list or sidebar to show you how many people are currently playing/who is playing! I've gone to play a few times and I've walked around for a bit looking for people. I ended up quitting because it didn't seem as though anyone was on.
If you press and hold tab you can see the leaderboard for the game. This way you can atleast see if anyone else is online with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.