Trying to learn a second language

First of all I would like to say kudos to anyone who knows more than one language. I'm currently minoring in Spanish in college and it's kicking my butt. Other than traveling abroad, which is definitely something I plan on doing, does anyone have any good tips?

edit; I realized there are already threads on this subject, so feel free to remove to remove clutter and whatnot. If anyone has any good techniques I would very much appreciate it! Feel free to PM me. :)

Jasmine

Immersion is best. Read books, speak the language (such as with a study-buddy, but if you know a native speaker, that's even better! You may want to look into italki for speaking opportunities), set your phone to the language, watch shows in the language, etc...
I'm minoring in french btw xD

supernovagirl

My major is French lol and I listen to music, watch movies, and read books! Also, I read news articles written in French (this also helps me stay up to date on what's happening around the world).

asyuna

The best way to learn a language is to surround yourself around it as much as you can. I live in Italy and before moving here I didn't know ANY Italian (seriously I didnt even know how to say hi). But I've picked up so much of it now by hearing it and seeing it around me constantly. I use the app Duolingo as well.
DONT spend your money on Rosetta Stone....you don't learn anything. Im happy I didn't buy it.

Thanks everyone! I've never heard of italki before, but I will definitely be looking into it! I've tried watching tv shows in Spanish, but my listening skills are what I find to be most difficult I suppose. Has anyone ever tried to read a book they've read in English to another language? I might try that with the Harry Potter series..

Jasmine

Thanks everyone! I've never heard of italki before, but I will definitely be looking into it! I've tried watching tv shows in Spanish, but my listening skills are what I find to be most difficult I suppose. Has anyone ever tried to read a book they've read in English to another language? I might try that with the Harry Potter series..
Yep. I'm planning to do this with children's books. I don't think I'm ready for novels yet xD

Laguna

~.*~:.:lone:.:~*.~
watching movies/shows with subtitles and audio in spanish so you'll know whats being said and how people pronounce it
my first language is spanish but i can say its way harder than english, much more complex.. i learned english at a very young age and grew up watching english shows so i sound american LOL, its very hard to deal with the two because my english vocabulary isn't as extensive as an american's would be but I'm not as good in spanish either because i grew up with the two languages and learning them at the same time is kinda difficult :faint: but yeah

I moved to the United States only knowing French and Arabic in 6th grade and I was able to learn English just by watching TV and talking to people, what often helps is constantly listening to others speak the language. The way i'd go about that is by getting long podcasts of the language you're attempting to learn and listening to it, furthermore changing the language settings on your phone to the desired language, and watching movies/TV in the specific language- try starting off by watching kids shows in that language (depending on your proficiency) Personally I used Dexter's Laboratory as my go-to english show. Immersing yourself in the language is the best thing you can do for yourself! It can get really frustrating, but its honestly a fool proof way of learning a language as it covers all basis of "learner types"

yep I'm learning chinese and watching shows or songs can help and i agree don't use rosette stone i did the trial and its mostly just memorization and not teaching

Make sure you really enjoy the language. Don't learn Spanish just because everyone says it will help you because that's a statement loaded with ********. Would Spanish help me if I were to move to Japan? Probably not. Use Italki! I use it all the time and it is so helpful talking to real native speakers. Also, you have to study outside of class. I took four years of Spanish in school and I don't remember a thing. School instruction of language usually isn't very good. I can't suggest speaking with a native more than enough!

mark

10 mins late to everything
Duolingo like all said, is very helpful. Its a mobile app and for the desktop :) try to surround yourself with Spanish as much as you can. Spanish is really easy! It's similar to English

i remember i took latin for 2 years and i despised it. now i take spanish, and taking latin helped me learn spanish a lot quicker. granted, i live in a household where its constantly spoken to me, but having the background was really good.

Thanks everyone!! I want to speak it outside of class with more native speakers, but i guess my confidence is lacking pretty badly.