UPDATE: Building a Computer! (New Laptop)

Check out WireCutter's recommendation by the way. Someone earlier mentioned different SSD brands. They recommended against Samsung but I have heard every single source recommend the Samsung 840 EVO series in terms of price/performance and reliability. Wirecutter tends to have great reviews and advice on purchasing tech, so I'd highly recommend reading there on anything. I put my sister on a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB and she's loved it. Either way, watch for deals on them. Kotaku typically runs a article series on a variety of things, including pc parts
http://kotaku.com/tag/moneysaver
The most recent one features a 120 GB SSD for 70 bucks or so.

Wirecutter on SSDs:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-ssds/

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
okay lol i kind of went overboard and decided to switch to a computer XD??? Can someone please tell me if this good for like Sims 2/3/4 Minecraft and running Steam games o_o?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227510
tagging recent commenters o3o
@Bird
@Mike
@Captain-Heather
So here's my suggestion with this computer..
1. Replace the power supply unit with a 600 watt
2. Replace GPU with a nVidia GTX 700 series
3. Upgrade the ram to 16gb

it will jump your price up about 250$ but it will be well worth it in the long run.

Carlyn

#CarlynisDa#1Twinkie
You want to build a computer from scratch! Newegg.com has a lot of parts and I can actually give you help with that since my dad and I build all of our computers :P

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
You want to build a computer from scratch! Newegg.com has a lot of parts and I can actually give you help with that since my dad and I build all of our computers :P
Stay away from newegg in my opinion. Their customer service is trash.. I suggest tiger direct. Its more expensive due to the tax they have, but if you have an issue, you can find a tigerdirect store and take it back without having to pay for shipping.

mark

10 mins late to everything
So here's my suggestion with this computer..
1. Replace the power supply unit with a 600 watt
2. Replace GPU with a nVidia GTX 700 series
3. Upgrade the ram to 16gb

it will jump your price up about 250$ but it will be well worth it in the long run.
no way can i make it to 750!!! I can barely do 500 :( I know it'd be worth it but my parent's are barely approving of me building this...[DOUBLEPOST=1406948822][/DOUBLEPOST]I have now 3 completely different computer builds can you guys take a look at them and see which you like best? yes you can revamp it, just tell me in here and please mention me :P

mark

Were you ever able to find a computer build that fits your budget and needs?
im not going crazy about it since im buying it around november(aka black friday/cyber monday IF the sales happen) im like 2 months and a half months away ^-^ i'll probably come across a better deal change it up but yeah :p all help is greatly appreciated so when the time comes I'm not a crazy nerd not knowing what to do x_x

Great idea! :) Building your own computer is very cheap and a great idea! You just need to be careful and ask yourself what kind of power you need first. You can't just simply buy a bunch of parts in the order the persons post above me is listed. You need to also take into consideration that the parts need to match up for example does your RAM match your motherboard input? Is the processor good enough to handle the amount of processes going on? is the graphics card good enough for your taste in gaming?. I need you to first tell me what kinda setup youre going for. Gamer? School?(Graphics or just Word Processors and such) Keep in-mind if you want a game rig also consider the games you play(COD v.s Farmville). This can help in saving money where needed. You need also a decent processor such as Intel or AMD i noticed Solar didnt mention that get back to me and Ill help you out :)

mark

Great idea! :) Building your own computer is very cheap and a great idea! You just need to be careful and ask yourself what kind of power you need first. You can't just simply buy a bunch of parts in the order the persons post above me is listed. You need to also take into consideration that the parts need to match up for example does your RAM match your motherboard input? Is the processor good enough to handle the amount of processes going on? is the graphics card good enough for your taste in gaming?. I need you to first tell me what kinda setup youre going for. Gamer? School?(Graphics or just Word Processors and such) Keep in-mind if you want a game rig also consider the games you play(COD v.s Farmville). This can help in saving money where needed. You need also a decent processor such as Intel or AMD i noticed Solar didnt mention that get back to me and Ill help you out :)
the highest graphic game ill probably ever play will be skyrim and/or sims 3(which isn't as detailed as skyrim)[DOUBLEPOST=1408036045][/DOUBLEPOST]https://pcpartpicker.com/user/iamMark/saved/

These are the parts im most interested in, I might change I might not, depends on what people say and what I believe... Of course I'll use programs like Photoshop and Microsoft Word for education and etc. because I'm not dedicating my life to playing games however I would like to play games and have a smooth running computer which doesnt like where there are like 10 GIFs in one page on Tumblr lol.

the games im 99.99% sure ill be playing are (for the first few months lol)
sims 2 UC
sims 3 + ep
sims 4 (maybe expansions)
minecraft
(possibly if im up for it) Skyrim

@Bradley

Last edited: