VMK at Night

This is a redo of my thread from the other place. This way we can discuss it again and I can share the idea with more people.

It's was almost universally agreed that this would be a great idea. Public areas that show any sunlight should have night version to be displayed a few hours before closing, or when the user sets their own settings or based on the player's time zone. That part is up to debate.

I don't think guest rooms should be converted, though. For some reason I feel like they should always stay the same. People design rooms for a reason and it wouldn't be right to modify that atmosphere.

The areas need to be lit up well enough to see clearly and not make the bright player sprites look weird.

Maybe one day there may be custom music/sfx tracks for night.

See the attached image for my Mark Twain prototype. There's still a few issues with it.

carterjakep

I would like this, and as for when it happens, I would think it would be before closing time, but I don't know if MyVMK will have a closing time.

Squid

I really like this idea! If it's too hard for the staff to convert all the rooms at night, I think it would be pretty cool just to have Main Street converted.

Peaches

i have no gender & i must scream
I think it would be very cool if you could make your guest room night too, in the i button. I know I remember people saying -turns lights off- when roleplaying a lot.

Lost

I disagree with having public room set up this way. Would be too hard to maintain, different timezones, different instances of rooms etc. I think it would be more hassle then good, as for turning lights off in guest rooms, i think that would be a great idea. Would fit in well with a lot of the lights VMK had and during holidays like halloween and christmas, could definitely make some awesome themed rides with lights in rooms off.

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted games to do this, but I do see how it could be troublesome. I think it would be awesome to have at least Main Street go dark, though.

Artist

i think at nightime there should be like a kingdom keepers reference where some of the characters are walking around or something

I really like this idea! If it's too hard for the staff to convert all the rooms at night, I think it would be pretty cool just to have Main Street converted.
Who says the staff have to convert all the rooms? On my last thread there were lots of excellent images that the community made. My Mark Twin is just one example.

So because of timezone issues do people here prefer to have it manually toggled or tied to the player's specific timezone rather than be automatic? If it was a setting that could be manually controlled then people who don't like it could avoid it altogether.

Maybe a few rooms... However it would not suit people from other parts of the world...

Maybe a few rooms... However it would not suit people from other parts of the world...
Yea.... The thing is it's one of those ideas that sounds great in theory, but in practice... Eh... There are plenty of VMK rooms where it might work, but many are very clearly designed with night or day in mind. You change that, and the rooms mood will be affected. Even then, it's a lot of work, and I dunno if it can be done well enough. That and it would throw a wrench in my VMK is tidally locked theory. :P

It won't be hard to do, there already is a system that does holiday rooms. It's pretty much the same room except with a different theme (which could be done on the client's side without any messing with the server I believe). It can be optional, toggled with a setting so that people who want to see it could flip it on and others could ignore it.

And if you think about it, the rooms that show a lot of daylight would work well at night.

Main street, the Esplanade, Storybookland (my dad says that ride is the best at night irl), some Fantasyland areas with the castle lit up. I don't see a big issue.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
In my personal Opinion I would love to see this happen on Main Street. I always love walking down Main Street at Disneyland at night.

I disagree with having public room set up this way. Would be too hard to maintain, different timezones, different instances of rooms etc. I think it would be more hassle then good, as for turning lights off in guest rooms, i think that would be a great idea. Would fit in well with a lot of the lights VMK had and during holidays like halloween and christmas, could definitely make some awesome themed rides with lights in rooms off.

:thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

:thumbsup:

Grant

Get high through the lows
I'd love to see some of Main Street and other public rooms at night, but I dunno, this idea sounds half great/half iffy. Like the process would be probably be a bit complicated.

Shrimp

You have a nice edit, but I don't think I'd like the huge mood change for places like Main Street or Town Square. We have a couple of night rooms like Sci-Fi Dine-In, Blue Bayou, Pirate Treehouse, Explorer's Tent, and Haunted Mansion Lobby.