VMK's Impact IRL ~

Flurry

Honestly Emi you are so right. I can't wait till i wont have access to vmk at school so I can actually go out and have a life again. You go glen coco!

Honestly Emi you are so right. I can't wait till i wont have access to vmk at school so I can actually go out and have a life again. You go glen coco!
I just said what most of us were thinking, I hope we all can prioritize as soon as school rolls around cause Lord knows we need it woo

Jal

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
This is so accurate. I love you for saying what was in the back of my mind (but what I was too afraid/in denial to say).
I really get you. I was obsessed with MyVMK in September-December before I quit for a few months. I was on A LOT. I traded so much to get keys for crates, I wanted to fit in, have everything, whatever, etc. It was my top priority. At the end of last year, my grades dropped, I lost touch with friends, and my parents truly saw me as a disappointment. It was nobody's fault but my own. I really think what got me to snap out of it was when I realized that none of this matters in the long run. It's annoying hearing this from people, but it's true. I think everyone needs to really realize this.

Being friends with everyone in this game and many people across the country won't make you any friends in the city you live in or the school you attend. It doesn't make up a real social life where you can visit their homes, go to the theatre, and have lunch dates with. I know you can watch movies together through skype and watch each other eat, etc, but it's not the same as receiving a hug from them after a long day or knowing that you'll see them the next day. It's important to have a few people that you can truly rely on IRL. For example, even though I have close friends from the game, I know they aren't about to drive 30 hours just to pick me up because my car broke down. They can't.

Having every item in the game and a few extras "just in case" doesn't make you any better than anyone else. You have more pixelated items in a game that could shut down tomorrow for any reason. You spend hours playing the mini-games just to have credits for the new releases. The hours that you spend earning credits from the mini-games, or gaining items through trades could be spent in a workplace, earning real USD that you can spend on real items in your real life environment. You could save money for your family, a college tuition, a new car, some cute clothes, whatever.

I'm not looking down, or judging anybody for choosing to spend their time on the game. It's nice to get away from the stress of real life. It can be fun. It makes some people happy. But it really should be just that-- something you spend time on for a little bit at a time, not hours on end. It shouldn't be a stressor at all. You shouldn't feel like you aren't in a safe environment, or be upset because of a lack of pixelated hats. When you allow yourself to become stressed over a game more than your actual life, you aren't really letting yourself grow in the real world, or as a productive member of society, y'know? When the game becomes your life, it becomes a problem.

Once_Upon_A_Time

♥Disneyland Addict♥
I agree with what your saying 100% I started old vmk when I was in 6th grade and I was completely obsessed and addicted to it. I played it every day and I loved playing it very much. But my family didn't like me playing as much as I did. So When I found out it closed in 08 I was heartbroken, and I felt like a part of me died. I was always hoping it would comeback somehow, and when I found out it was back I freaked out, i was so excited and couldn't believe it!! But as you know vmk can be a blessing and a curse, so when i started playing it 3 months ago I was overjoyed and couldn't wait to get ahead in the game. Before I knew It I was playing vmk every day for long periods of time just like I was doing back in 6th grade, I was addicted again. I was on family vacations and alienating my family to play an online game, that had no impact on real life. I'm 18 now and going off to college in a couple weeks and I still play vmk a lot. I feel like I'm taking time away from being with my family who I won't see very much when I go away, when I play this game. It truly is an addiction for me, and I don't like that Ive been ignoring my family so much in these last couple weeks that I get to spend with them. So long story short in these next couple weeks before I leave I'm gonna try to take a break from vmk. It's hard for me to do but I think it will help me more in the long run. Thanks for inspiring me to do this and bye vmk for a couple weeks I will miss you!

Last edited:
500% agree, im sorry tht you feel this way and as much as it hurts to see u go at least u will get away from this mess and no one would ever forget u if u did. I hope you figure it out and if you need me to talk to, im always here since im going through some of the same things (:

One thing I find really effective in helping make sure that I don't become too "VMK Obsessed":

I ask myself, am I staying home/staying up too late/getting up too early because something (ie an event, etc) is going on in VMK?

Because you have no idea how many times I think, oh I can't go to the store/movies/mall/dog park etc with my family/friends/dog etc because I'll miss this important event on VMK! (or whatever your current addiction is)

So my rule is: I am not allowed to not do something in real life because there is something going on in VMK. You have to be honest with yourself. Don't ever adjust your real life schedule to fit some online or gaming need! When you start doing that, you know you've gone to far. Many times this is easier said than done, so just keep reminding yourself that real life is real (sounds lame, but it's so true). I guarantee you will never regret doing something in real life versus online. As we all know, games close. Maybe you missed some important event online, and that trip to the grocery store wasn't really necessary that caused you to miss it...but at least you were out there meeting real people and breathing fresh air and stretching those cramped legs/fingers.

Hope this helps someone!

Jal

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
One thing I find really effective in helping make sure that I don't become too "VMK Obsessed":

I ask myself, am I staying home/staying up too late/getting up too early because something (ie an event, etc) is going on in VMK?

Because you have no idea how many times I think, oh I can't go to the store/movies/mall/dog park etc with my family/friends/dog etc because I'll miss this important event on VMK! (or whatever your current addiction is)

So my rule is: I am not allowed to not do something in real life because there is something going on in VMK. You have to be honest with yourself. Don't ever adjust your real life schedule to fit some online or gaming need! When you start doing that, you know you've gone to far. Many times this is easier said than done, so just keep reminding yourself that real life is real (sounds lame, but it's so true). I guarantee you will never regret doing something in real life versus online. As we all know, games close. Maybe you missed some important event online, and that trip to the grocery store wasn't really necessary that caused you to miss it...but at least you were out there meeting real people and breathing fresh air and stretching those cramped legs/fingers.

Hope this helps someone!
Yesssss. Man, this is so important too.

I used to play this game as a kid and now that I've recently found out that it re-opened, I've noticed an addiction coming on. But you just have to try and balance your days and VMK at night time or when there's really just nothing going on. It's hard (because it's so much fun) but I even noticed my boyfriend was getting annoyed because I would be ignoring him and just playing VMK. And my friends even noticed I'd been staying home a lot more. A lot of people are probably having the same problem, but don't let it control you! Stay Strong<3

This is so accurate. I love you for saying what was in the back of my mind (but what I was too afraid/in denial to say).
I really get you. I was obsessed with MyVMK in September-December before I quit for a few months. I was on A LOT. I traded so much to get keys for crates, I wanted to fit in, have everything, whatever, etc. It was my top priority. At the end of last year, my grades dropped, I lost touch with friends, and my parents truly saw me as a disappointment. It was nobody's fault but my own. I really think what got me to snap out of it was when I realized that none of this matters in the long run. It's annoying hearing this from people, but it's true. I think everyone needs to really realize this.

Being friends with everyone in this game and many people across the country won't make you any friends in the city you live in or the school you attend. It doesn't make up a real social life where you can visit their homes, go to the theatre, and have lunch dates with. I know you can watch movies together through skype and watch each other eat, etc, but it's not the same as receiving a hug from them after a long day or knowing that you'll see them the next day. It's important to have a few people that you can truly rely on IRL. For example, even though I have close friends from the game, I know they aren't about to drive 30 hours just to pick me up because my car broke down. They can't.

Having every item in the game and a few extras "just in case" doesn't make you any better than anyone else. You have more pixelated items in a game that could shut down tomorrow for any reason. You spend hours playing the mini-games just to have credits for the new releases. The hours that you spend earning credits from the mini-games, or gaining items through trades could be spent in a workplace, earning real USD that you can spend on real items in your real life environment. You could save money for your family, a college tuition, a new car, some cute clothes, whatever.

I'm not looking down, or judging anybody for choosing to spend their time on the game. It's nice to get away from the stress of real life. It can be fun. It makes some people happy. But it really should be just that-- something you spend time on for a little bit at a time, not hours on end. It shouldn't be a stressor at all. You shouldn't feel like you aren't in a safe environment, or be upset because of a lack of pixelated hats. When you allow yourself to become stressed over a game more than your actual life, you aren't really letting yourself grow in the real world, or as a productive member of society, y'know? When the game becomes your life, it becomes a problem.
I could not have said this better myself. I have slowly come to this conclusion, and now it's about taking the steps necessary to pull away from the game and focus on my life and my future. Thank you so much for your amazing input, and honestly, so good for you that you were able to figure this out before some of us. I sincerely hope everyone reads what you reads and takes it to heart.

Elle

You always make the best threads. It's beautiful.

I would like to comment on something, though. I've also seen girls do the same to guys. It may sound silly and crazy, but it does happen, and I hope that it also gets addressed and continues to get addressed by staff members when/if there is ever a report on it.
Treating each other as equals is important even in this type of game because feelings do get hurt.

Ya'll need a little more Friends episodes in ur life. <3

Thank you, Emilia, for making this. <3
As this game grows, I'm trying to grow along with it, both in game and in rl. Back when it started, the moment I started skipping classes and offers to go out because of an event or something going on in vmk, I knew for a fact that I needed to stop and control myself a bit more, because no one was going to do it for me. Not my VMK friends, not my family, but myself. I think i'm doing pretty okay now. It's definitely not as bad as it was before, lol.

There really is a lot of stuff that happens in the game, and it does make me sad, but the best we can do is report, report, and report even more of these incidents as they happen to get them resolved as quickly as possible before real harm is done :(.

I agree with what your saying 100% I started old vmk when I was in 6th grade and I was completely obsessed and addicted to it. I played it every day and I loved playing it very much. But my family didn't like me playing as much as I did. So When I found out it closed in 08 I was heartbroken, and I felt like a part of me died. I was always hoping it would comeback somehow, and when I found out it was back I freaked out, i was so excited and couldn't believe it!! But as you know vmk can be a blessing and a curse, so when i started playing it 3 months ago I was overjoyed and couldn't wait to get ahead in the game. Before I knew It I was playing vmk every day for long periods of time just like I was doing back in 6th grade, I was addicted again. I was on family vacations and alienating my family to play an online game, that had no impact on real life. I'm 18 now and going off to college in a couple weeks and I still play vmk a lot. I feel like I'm taking time away from being with my family who I won't see very much when I go away, when I play this game. It truly is an addiction for me, and I don't like that Ive been ignoring my family so much in these last couple weeks that I get to spend with them. So long story short in these next couple weeks before I leave I'm gonna try to take a break from vmk. It's hard for me to do but I think it will help me more in the long run. Thanks for inspiring me to do this and bye vmk for a couple weeks I will miss you!
I'm so glad for you! It's so easy to realize that something is bad for you, but it's SO hard to take the initiative required to fix that problem and terminate (in this case, temporarily put on hold) a relationship with something that can be so damaging to who you are. That's such an amazing step to take. I also wish you the absolute best with your first year of college. :-}

500% agree, im sorry tht you feel this way and as much as it hurts to see u go at least u will get away from this mess and no one would ever forget u if u did. I hope you figure it out and if you need me to talk to, im always here since im going through some of the same things (:
girl you are such a light to this game. Thank you for being so sweet, so understanding, AND ALWAYS PLAYING MY HOT-MESS GAMES. YOU ARE AMAZING and I hope that we can both break (or learn how to limit) addiction bc you know, this is a HUGE huge addiction. love you so much!

Hope this helps someone!
Heather, this is the problem that I've been facing. It's that YES, VMK has started to affect the decisions I make in my every day life. I canceled an important appointment just to make it home for an event. The rule that you have set is one I need to establish and live by. Thank you so much for you input, it's greatly appreciated! Definitely hoping I can adjust and make this change that'll benefit me in so many ways.

You always make the best threads. It's beautiful.

I would like to comment on something, though. I've also seen girls do the same to guys. It may sound silly and crazy, but it does happen, and I hope that it also gets addressed and continues to get addressed by staff members when/if there is ever a report on it.
Treating each other as equals is important even in this type of game because feelings do get hurt.

Ya'll need a little more Friends episodes in ur life. <3

Thank you, Emilia, for making this. <3
As this game grows, I'm trying to grow along with it, both in game and in rl. Back when it started, the moment I started skipping classes and offers to go out because of an event or something going on in vmk, I knew for a fact that I needed to stop and control myself a bit more, because no one was going to do it for me. Not my VMK friends, not my family, but myself. I think i'm doing pretty okay now. It's definitely not as bad as it was before, lol.
Elle you are such a sweetheart! I just feel like sometimes I need to say whats on my mind and I think that the forums is a great place to do that, because chances are, I'm not the only one thinking such things.

I completely agree, girls on here can be malicious too. I used guys as an example because I've recently seen my friends play victim to the malicious and manipulative acts of guys on the game, but definitely applicable to anyone and everyone. I know that I've seen more girls scam with clones than anyone else, and that makes me so so so sad.

Trying to grow with the game is such a great way to put it. This game is constantly changing, as are us players. I'm so glad that you were able to get to the point where you understood "hey this is taking over, let me step back" because as much as I understand it, I lack the ability to ACTUALLY step back and put it away. Thank you for being such a beautiful person and friend to look up to/be around on this game! <3

@EmiliaTiger
aw your such a sweetie ;u;', I can't tell you how happy that made me :3 and Lol I have had lots of fun at your games its hard to play games anymore because most hosts are ridic and your a great host. You are amazing as well and I hope so it would be great to do tht even though I have nothing else to do ROFL. I hope you find a way to break free because the drama on here is pretty bad sadly. I love you so much too and I've had so much fun hanging out with you (:

@EmiliaTiger
aw your such a sweetie ;u;', I can't tell you how happy that made me :3 and Lol I have had lots of fun at your games its hard to play games anymore because most hosts are ridic and your a great host. You are amazing as well and I hope so it would be great to do tht even though I have nothing else to do ROFL. I hope you find a way to break free because the drama on here is pretty bad sadly. I love you so much too and I've had so much fun hanging out with you (:
I'll still be hosting more games to get rid of my stuff little by little <3 <3 You're amazing. Thank you for being so relentlessly sweet, beautiful girl![DOUBLEPOST=1407784560][/DOUBLEPOST]
your such a wonderful human being inside and out everything you said in this thread is true, but if you ever have anymore "drama" I got your back girl
thank so much honestly you're absolutely amazing. <3

aw this touched my heart. Your such a good person we should really talk on myvmk :)
that makes me so happy to hear :') and yes absolutely please! I'll obvi be on for the rest of this week because of pirates and such, so if you ever see me, don't hesitate to say hi PLEASE friends make my heart happy!

@EmiliaTiger >o<' ur so sweet I wish I had gotten to know you more but I love that we had gotten to meet and became really good friends, and haha ill try to go to all ur crazy games LOL. I'm afraid after all these revenge games people will hate each other lel. <3 You're amazing and one of the nicest people I've met on this site. There is such a rare amount of people that are nice on here its sad /: so its a good idea to get away because of all the drama.