What films should I watch as an "escape" (if you will)?

I just want to shut myself in a room and get lost in a film - The Labyrinth, The Fall, The Lord of the Rings, and Safety Not Guaranteed as examples of what I'm looking for (kinda fantasy, kinda whimsical, other-worldly). I guess I'm looking for films that are unrealistic, but still relatable ... if that makes any sense at all.

As an aside, "relatable" is totally a word, isn't it? Chrome is telling me that it isn't. Wth, Chrome.

Pan's Labyrinth. I apologize.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Never been a huge fan, but I definitely would say the Harry Potter films are immersive. :')

ps. yes it is a word. Firefox is telling me immersive isn't a word tho. what the heck????

mark

10 mins late to everything
if u want long do the harry potter marathon
if u want a bit long do titanic
if u want long do hunger games/catching fire
if u want a movie do perks of being a wallflower
if u want a movie do the notebook

Indiana Jones trilogy (yeah trilogy- I didn't really like the last one)
Back to the Future trilogy
Star Trek- Wrath of Khan
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Die Hard
The Way Way Back
Heavyweights (DCOM with Ben Stiller, so freaking funny)

PIGGIESARECOOL

for my 'escape' movies i watch Nicolas sparks >.< THEYRE SO GOODD!!! Dx

my favorites are:
save haven
the last song
the notebook

They sound overrated, but they are amazing...i love them

The Harry Potter series is an amazing escape. Some of my favorite films.
National Treasure is a fun one. And I really liked The Avengers and Now You See Me.

Everyone's suggestions have been really good, any of these would work. (:

Snaps

mischief managed
The Marvel movies (Iron Man 1, 2, 3, Captain America, Thor 1, 2, The Avengers..) are a great series to marathon and let you escape for a little bit.
when things get bad for me particularly, i watch disney animation movies, there are a bunch on netflix.
Also Inception or the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

or even a tv show like Doctor Who, which is highly immersive

LooseSeal

The Labyrinth? Like David Bowie Labyrinth? Love that movie.

If you want darker fantasy (like LOTR in a way), check out Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno). While I'm on the subject of foreign films, Amelie is also great.

If you want to get lost in a film, The Truman Show might be kinda meta.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is another great realistic-ish sci-fi movie. If you like that, check out Being John Malkovich (also written by Charlie Kaufman).

(Both The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are some of the best Jim Carrey movies btw - his greatest roles are his more dramatic ones)

Memento is a great mind-twister. Along with Fight Club.

Where The Wild Things Are is just a beautiful film. Along with Beasts of the Southern Wild (but be prepared to cry). Oh, and Big Fish. All kinda fall within the fantasy genre (especially Big Fish which is just an amazing Tim Burton movie - one of my faves. Along with Edward Scissorhands).

In terms of directors, pretty much any (earlier) Tim Burton, Spike Jonze (Her <3), Christopher Nolan, or Darren Aronofsky movie.

Just a few suggestions... I like movies :P

Snaps

mischief managed
oooh i just thought of another:

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog
shorter, but it always makes me feel better. it's really funny with great songs and neil patrick harris! and its all on youtube/netflix

The Labyrinth? Like David Bowie Labyrinth? Love that movie.

If you want darker fantasy (like LOTR in a way), check out Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno). While I'm on the subject of foreign films, Amelie is also great.

If you want to get lost in a film, The Truman Show might be kinda meta.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is another great realistic-ish sci-fi movie. If you like that, check out Being John Malkovich (also written by Charlie Kaufman).

(Both The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are some of the best Jim Carrey movies btw - his greatest roles are his more dramatic ones)

Memento is a great mind-twister. Along with Fight Club.

Where The Wild Things Are is just a beautiful film. Along with Beasts of the Southern Wild (but be prepared to cry). Oh, and Big Fish. All kinda fall within the fantasy genre (especially Big Fish which is just an amazing Tim Burton movie - one of my faves. Along with Edward Scissorhands).

In terms of directors, pretty much any (earlier) Tim Burton, Spike Jonze (Her <3), Christopher Nolan, or Darren Aronofsky movie.

Just a few suggestions... I like movies :P
A lot of this. I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - definitely, definitely the kind of film suggestions I was looking for~ I have a lot of titles to check out now :)

karkat

whenever i feel upset i watch harold and maude because @ the end i just feel better even though its kinda sad the resolution is kinda for the better u know
the soundtrack is 2 die for and the just the cinematography is stunning

whenever i feel upset i watch harold and maude because @ the end i just feel better even though its kinda sad the resolution is kinda for the better u know
the soundtrack is 2 die for and the just the cinematography is stunning
We watched that in one of my classes and to this day it's one of the most interesting films I've ever seen. It stays with you for a while. I agree so much about the soundtrack and cinematography. A+

LooseSeal

Going to add on to my list with Synecdoche, New York. I just watched it the other day and it was such an amazing movie (then again, anything written by Charlie Kaufman is...). Definitely worth checking out. There's also a lot of puns throughout the movie, so there's that, too :P. The title itself is a play on Schenectady, New York, where the movie takes place.

"I know how to do it now. There are nearly thirteen million people in the world. None of those people is an extra. They're all the leads of their own stories. They have to be given their due." One of my favorite movie quotes now.