What music do you listen to?

My new favorite songs:

Maliblue - Darius
I Need You - M83
Help Me Lose My Mind - Disclosure
Send the Pain On - Chrome Sparks

These are some of my new favorite summer tunes!

So, what kind of music do you listen to?

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
Im a fan of trance, hard style, dub step and EDM, here are my all time favorite songs ,

Airport Shivers - Armin Van Buuren Vs Photographer Mashup

Craig Connelly & Christina Novelli - Black Hole ( Jorn Van Deynhoven Remix )
{I saw Armin Van Buuren live a few years ago at a festival and he played this song as his closer with fireworks and everything, it was possibly the most emotional experience with music i've ever had. }

Showtek - Freak ( their old stuff )

Psyko Punkz & MC Lyte Ft. Chris Willis - This is Your Life

Fedde Le Grand & Re-Di-Rect - Where We Belong ( Zomboy Remix )

Destroid - Bounce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axRf7gOVds

Coolio - Gangster's Paradise ( Candyland's OG Remix )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRBZ9Ep8dI

There's my Top 7 All Time Favorite Electronic Songs.

Chill

@Aka I absolutely love cardiac arrest!!

Lately I've been kinda into "Mermaid" by Train and "Say It Aint So" by Weezer.... kind of in a music drought. I get sick of songs so fast, I hate it... constantly on the prowl for new music :|

Buut yea genre-wise I love alt rock, especially when it has notes of punk, sometimes electronic, and the occasional hint of pop :) but whenever I like a particularly pop-ish song, I get sick of it sooo much faster than any other genre that it's almost not even worth it tbh. Pop music just has that disposable quality to it.

@Aka I absolutely love cardiac arrest!!

Lately I've been kinda into "Mermaid" by Train and "Say It Aint So" by Weezer.... kind of in a music drought. I get sick of songs so fast, I hate it... constantly on the prowl for new music :|

Buut yea genre-wise I love alt rock, especially when it has notes of punk, sometimes electronic, and the occasional hint of pop :) but whenever I like a particularly pop-ish song, I get sick of it sooo much faster than any other genre that it's almost not even worth it tbh. Pop music just has that disposable quality to it.
True about pop, I reserve that for good days. I like indie pop like Miniature Tigers, The Colourist, and Dresses. Pop songs are usually known more for the novelty and selling (out) to the masses than instead being purely raw and meaningful which certain rock and singersongwriter music is which is why those artists usually aren't so popular *shrugs* I've faded in and out of listening to genres even tried country, EDM, hiphop, rap, Spanish but I'll always be a rocker at heart. Grew up listening to a local rock station, most of my first CDs I bought were rock, people close to me listened to similar music, as a musician I'm attuned to this genre somehow with the use of piano, drums, other musical instruments I can just pick up on where each of them is coming from and still be surprised where it's going with the melody and rhythm. Rock just resonates in my heart and soul. Whether it be the kind of rock like A7X, ADTR, DCFC, Incubus, My Chemical Romance, Relient K...alternative, Christian, emo, indie - if it's of the rock genre and it's good I'll most likely love it :)

Flannel

Flannel/ Mack
I listen to music almost all day, regardless of what I'm doing. I listen to everything, usually depending on my mood. I like Dubstep, Trance, Country, R&B, Hip Hop, Pop, Indie, Alternative, Rock, Soul, Jazz, and Rap. Some of my favorites are:

Sia, Demi Lovato, the OLD paramore, Nicki Minaj, Maria Mena, Icona Pop

Currently, my favorite thing ever:

Extras

Petty Officer Third Class US Navy
My music taste varies depending on the mood I'm in. Yeah, cliche response but it is totally the truth. I'd have to say my all time favorite band is Brand New. Favorite album being Your Favorite Weapon and song being Seventy Times 7:

Among things in the same genre of pop-punk/rock would be Taking Back Sunday, Handguns, FOB. I also like Citizen, Touche Amore, La Dispute, Balance and Composure, Set Your Goals, The Story So Far, Four Year Strong, Death Cab for Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, etc.

But if I'm say, angry? I like listening to Hardcore like Trapped Under Ice, Backtrack, Turnstile, Chain of Strength, xKINGx, Cold World, Downpresser, Expire, etc.

Currently I have the song "When a Fire Starts to Burn" by Disclosure stuck in my head, so my music preferences vary almost daily!

I would like to think I listen to anything really, but my music interests change really rapidly. I think a few years ago I absolutely loved everything to do with pop music, so I still listen to pop music from a few years ago from time to time.

Lately I've been exploring funk (with bands like Jamiroquai and Red Hot Chili Peppers). As a bass player, I was curious about slap bass, so this is where I ended up for the time being.

When I check artists out, I usually grab the entire discography if I can. It gives me the fullest idea of what kind of music they produce.

This song definitely piqued my interest! It is just a "tiny bit" repetitive, especially on the bassline. Apologies.

But if we're going for consistency, I will always be amazed by the technical ability of bassists and guitarists throughout the metal genre.

So I rocked out with Metallica; I progressed through Tool. I then tried experimenting with bands such as Nile, Nekrogoblikon, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll, Edge of Sanity, Myrath and Týr. Folk metal fascinates me. :D

I've been meaning to check out Dream Theater, so they're next on my list when I'm done with funk.

And, y'know, sometimes I'll just take it easy and listen to video game soundtracks. These currently include Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure, Donkey Kong Country 2, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Neverhood/Skullmonkeys, Pokémon Crystal and Psychonauts.

Although I get somewhat limited use out of my stereo, my music teacher always appreciated my wide tastes in high school. From getting the top grade in my class I have "John Williams & The Boston Pops Orchestra: A Celebration", which is mainly focused on movie themes and such. In addition, I received "The Essential Dave Brubeck", which is obviously a jazz-focused CD. Love that one.

Here's a miscellaneous group of people. I've really enjoyed Pink Floyd, and my parents have some vinyl from them and other artists that have been great opportunities. Muse is, in my opinion, as close as I can find to a modern sounding Pink Floyd. There's also Caravan Palace which I think is a unique band with a really nice sound. Lastly, there's a Toronto-based electronic artist named Renard, who takes on a bunch of different aliases and produces genres like gabber, hardcore, happy hardcore, rave, house, whatever. I have a lot of his music and it gave me a better appreciation of that type of music for sure.

I think friends and family influence what I listen to as well. I have a friend all about the black metal scene who has his own band, another who plays a jazz bass, etc.

As if this wasn't already long enough, I really appreciate vocals that challenge the status quo. For example, take the main theme of the animé Elfen Lied:

And lastly, I really appreciate where a lot of trends could be traced back to. I think this would be incomplete without mentioning baroque or classical music. When I had interest in piano, Erik Satie's "Trois Gymnopédies" was always what I aimed to play. A high school favourite was Gustav Holst's "The Planets". I remember our music class was taken to an empty auditorium by our teacher where we listened to the entirety of the piece in the dark. Life-changing.

On the neo-classical side, I really recommend The Secret Garden. It's a blend of Norwegian and Irish tastes.

Last edited:

Rhyth

Socially Awkward Artist
It totally depends on what I'm doing and who I'm with. If I'm with my family we usually listen to old R&B songs, old school hip hop, and maybe some pop. If I'm alone, I listen to indie, alternative, things like that I guess. I find when I listen to the radio, I get annoyed with hearing otherwise good songs :/

My current favorite artists are Glass Animals, Kimbra, Janelle Monae, Local Natives, The Roots, and Local Natives. My favorite song right now is Gooey by Glass Animals. I've been listening to it on repeat for like 2 weeks now lol.