What should I do in Disneyland?

Nnilak

Hey guys so I'm going to Disney for the first time ever! :dance:
I have a one day pass for Disneyland so I wanted to ask you guys what were some must-dos there?
Best restaurant, rides, shows, entertainment, etc? And if I should reserve stuff now.

Thanks! :D

RebeccaRock

So have you been to Walt Disney World? It is important in terms of comparisons. If you have been to WDW, then you want to do the things that are not at WDW or that are better at DLR.

The first thing would be that you should eat at the Blue Bayou restaurant (where Gator waiter would be in VMK - New Orleans Square). Just like in the game, the pirates ride starts off going through the restaurant.

Nnilak

So have you been to Walt Disney World? It is important in terms of comparisons. If you have been to WDW, then you want to do the things that are not at WDW or that are better at DLR.

The first thing would be that you should eat at the Blue Bayou restaurant (where Gator waiter would be in VMK - New Orleans Square). Just like in the game, the pirates ride starts off going through the restaurant.
I have not. This is my first time to any Disneys ever :D[DOUBLEPOST=1428801902][/DOUBLEPOST]

Ride Indiana Jones, that's a must!! Visit Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn (another must!), Pirates of the Caribbean, Alice in Wonderland, Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain!
All hail the magic conch! (I'll do those thanks)

Last edited:

RebeccaRock

I have not. This is my first time to any Disneys ever :D
And only 1 day? Oh the horror. So the ones that @Youtherevmk pointed out, but having never been at all, you should also do small world. Is your pass a one park or a park hopper? We have only talked about Disneyland so far. If you have a park hopper, then there is the stuff at California Adventure also.

Nnilak

And only 1 day? Oh the horror. So the ones that @Youtherevmk pointed out, but having never been at all, you should also do small world. Is your pass a one park or a park hopper? We have only talked about Disneyland so far. If you have a park hopper, then there is the stuff at California Adventure also.
Yeah I know ): I'm actually there to do things in Hollywood/LA and so I kinda just asked if we could slip a Disney day in there since it'll be the closest I've ever been to one. I haven't gotten tickets yet, so I guess that's another question if I should do California Adventure or just Disneyland Park. And if I got the park hopper would I have time to do both in one day? lol

Hey guys so I'm going to Disney for the first time ever! :dance:
I have a one day pass for Disneyland so I wanted to ask you guys what were some must-dos there?
Best restaurant, rides, shows, entertainment, etc? And if I should reserve stuff now.

Thanks! :D
If the Matterhorn is open its a MUST DO!! its amazing!!!!

Things you need FP for:
-Indiana Jones (get this one first unless its summer and you wanna ride Splash)
-Space Mountain (get this one last. it likes to break down for no reason and passes are there basically all day)
-Splash Mountain (if you want to ride this and you go in the summer this needs to be the first pass you get)

Things you should ride:
-Indiana Jones
-Space Mountain
-Splash Mountain
-Big Thunder
-Small World
-Alice
-Matterhorn
-Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin (its all the way in toontown but its the best dark ride there.)
-Mr Toad
-Pinocchio

Good places to eat:
-Blue Bayou (no gaitor waiter though :\)
-Earl of Sammich

I tend to get a Turkey leg and corn for lunch by Big Thunder and go into the golden horseshoe and eat in there. The GH show is hilarious and if you are stopping for a quick lunch there check and see if it'll be going on bc its funny.

If you need specific info for DLR LMK!! i'm a season pass holder and go all the time so i'll happily help you with anything you wanna know etc :) some rides are currently being redone but will open in early may

Also if you wanna see Fantasmic get there super early for a good spot bc it fills up quickly since its in the middle of frontierland and new orleans square -_-

OH btw forgot to mention Fantasyland has NO Fast-passes

Last edited:

RebeccaRock

A park hopper to do both and only being there one day is rough. To do both means you can only hit the highlights and even then, to get in as much as you can, you will have to be there from park opening to closing. You can easily spend a day at each and still not do it all, even then. Being your first time going to any park, and only having a day, personally I would recommend just doing a single park, Disneyland (where it all started).

You will enjoy Disneyland because of myVMK. While VMK was built off of items in multiple parks around the world, a large portion of it is based around Disneyland. As you walk around, you will see things and be like, "Oh my gosh, it is actually real". That's why I recommended Blue Bayou restaurant as a place to eat because it is like it is in VMK.

Be sure to read up on Fastpasses, because you will want to use them if you can (ticket to come back to a ride later and get on quicker that allows you to go do other stuff).[DOUBLEPOST=1428803712][/DOUBLEPOST]If you decide on a restaurant (sit down), call as soon as possible to get your priority seating reservations made.

yeah blue bayou is nice if you like spending a fortune on dinner. yeah it's nice, but it's extremely expensive. i reccomend the cafe orleans. it's got a lot of the similiar options to blue bayou, but it's mainly outdoor seating, and it's at a fraction of the cost. the monte cristo there is AMAZING. ride matterhorn, and and space mountain. also, ride indiana jones, and the fantasyland rides that interest you.

RebeccaRock

yeah blue bayou is nice if you like spending a fortune on dinner. yeah it's nice, but it's extremely expensive. i reccomend the cafe orleans
While I agree, it can be costly, it is nothing compared to the price of eating at the restaurant upstairs (Club 33). That's the Blue Bayou entrance just to the left of the Club 33 door.
Club33_Door.jpg

With this being @Nnilak first time going to a Disney park EVER and she only has one day, this could be the time, if one higher cost meal can be afforded, to go and take in the ambiance and magic of the restaurant as the Pirates of the Caribbean boats float through. I generally only have one nice sit down when I go and will eat at the walk up locations the rest of the time.

If the cost is higher than what you want to spend, I agree, Cafe Orleans is really nice (entrance is just diagonally across from the Blue Bayou). I have always enjoyed eating there and the food has always been really good.

Nnilak, the key is, because you only have one day, plan, plan, plan. When you have more time to come back, they you can just play it more by "ear". Get the map to get an idea of what all there is and use the main Disneyland website to review things to decide.

They told us we had to book at least 3 months in advance for Blue Bayou when I went for my birthday a few years ago. I would honestly go in there to look around, but I really enjoyed eating at Cafe Orleans. It's nice to people watch and eat.

Nnilak

Yeah I was looking at Blue Bayou and the prices are pretty high and there really isn't anything that I would want to eat (besides the mac and cheese and I can't even eat that because I'm not under 9). I might just consider something fast and on-the-go so I can continue exploring Disneyland.

VampireBoy

Honestly I know the Blue Bayou has high prices but its all about experience or at least it is in my opinion but the point is every time I go to Disney World we always have dinner at one of their fancy restaurants because their fine dining restaurants offer an experience with your meal that no other restaurants can offer so you should consider it.

I have a couple food places I don't go to Disneyland without visiting. They're all pretty cheap and really good. (The first three are more like food stands, and the last one is a fully-fledged restaurant).

Maurice's Treats - A little foodcart at the entrance of the Fantasyland Faire. It sells strawberry, chocolate, and cheddar garlic "twists" (I've personally only tried the strawberry and cheddar garlic, and they're great). They're pretty big and VERY easy to eat on the go. They also sell "Boysen Apple Freeze" drinks which are to die for.

Mint Julep Bar - A food service window connected to the French Market Restaurant (...which is another place I like to eat). They sell beignets in (I think) sets of 6 in a little paper bag. The powdered sugar makes them a little messy, but other than that, they're pretty easy to eat on the go as well.

Pooh Corner - More of a shop than anything. They sell candy and pastry treats which are great if you're in the mood for something sweet.

Rancho Del Zocalo - A Mexican restaurant at the center of Frontierland. It features outdoor seating (with heated lamps) complete with guitar music that's absolutely magical at night. If you're really tight on money, the kids meals are surprisingly filling. Otherwise, all the meals here are delicious. Last time I checked, they also have unlimited refills on drinks. Just take your receipt with you when you go to refill.

Yeah, like others have said, the Blue Bayou's food and atmosphere are really fantastic, but it's really expensive (like... once-in-a-lifetime expensive). Cafe Orleans offers the same food options and you can still experience the atmosphere when riding Pirates of the Caribbean. (If you do end up going to Cafe Orleans, get the Monte Cristo sandwich--it's awesome).

You can always bring a mini backpack with you filled with water bottles and snacks. Disneyland security doesn't have any problem with it and it can really help you hold off between meals. :)

EDIT: And of course, turkey legs!!!

Last edited:
Honestly when you get there you're going to be so immersed in the place you'll forget everything we're posting and just run around. It'll be a blast! :D

If you're vegetarian, like me (which I'm inferring you are because you said there was nothing to eat at BB) I suggest trying the bread bowl veggie gumbo in New Orleans Square. It is excellent!

I was in a similar situation to you when I went to Disneyland. I got to go for 1 day and I had a park hopper. If you have a park hopper I would try to do both DL and CA. It depends if you plan on going back. I am from the east coast so my chances of going to California again are very slim. I wanted to pack as many rides as I could in, but I made a huge mistake. I wasted my allotted fast passes on space mountain, which was on such a long wait because it had been breaking down all day. Needless to say, I didn't get to use those passes. Anyways, I would advise that you get fast passes for radiator springs racers. It was a cool ride, but not quite worth a 3 hour wait ;) . I'd also highly recommend the haunted mansion, potc, and the tower of terror. Being a WDW goer, those semi-unique rides were my must-dos. Sorry of this was confusing, so summary: if you don't think you'll be going back within 3 years, I'd get a park hopper and pack your day. If you decide not to, experience the Disneyland side to the fullest!!

Nnilak

Honestly when you get there you're going to be so immersed in the place you'll forget everything we're posting and just run around. It'll be a blast! :D

If you're vegetarian, like me (which I'm inferring you are because you said there was nothing to eat at BB) I suggest trying the bread bowl veggie gumbo in New Orleans Square. It is excellent!
Nah, not vegetarian, just really picky lol.

But yeah you're probably right. I'll want to plan everything and things won't go as planned and I'll either have a bad time because my plans failed or I could just ditch plans and have a good time and go with the flow. Or then I'll get upset later after my trip that I didn't follow through with plans and didn't experience half the things I should have.
:huh:

philitup

The Internet Champion!
EVERYTHING!!!

Haha! But really, if you're looking for a place to eat, go to the Tangaroa Terrace at the DisneyLand Hotel. Or go to the Blue Bayou near Pirates of The Caribbean. They aren't awesome five star places, but DisneyLand isn't really big on those type of restaurants. I just wanted to throw out my two favorite spots from my last trip. But no matter what you do, I hope you have a great time! (:

oh at @Nnilak totally forgot to tell you to get some phone apps!!! My favorites are: Disneyland Walts App (its used for checking wait times) and Disneyland Inside Out (used for basically everything else. Rides that're closed, park hours, restrooms, map, guest services etc etc) Both very useful and i still use them and i'm a regular to the DLR parks

Tohrukun

@Tariel @Nnilak i think the matterhorn is in the process of being refurbished and i dont know when its supposed to be opened-i hope it is open for your visit thought it is amazing!!!

EDIT: matterhorn bobsleds, peter pan's flight, and haunted mansion will reopen after refurbishments sometime in may :o