Would it be crazy to live in Florida just cause of Disney?

Nnilak

Not sure if this belonged in Disney Discussion or Off Topic, but whatever.

So I'm graduating college in December, and I'm seriously considering moving to Florida just so I can frequently visit Disney. Does anyone else think that's a bit extreme? Or that I should totally go for it? Also my boyfriend of 4 years doesn't want to live in Florida, so we'd probably break up if that's what I decided to do. But I mean why am I with someone who doesn't like Disney? I should move to Florida and find myself a man that's into Disney as much as I am!

Just wondering if anyone else has seriously thought of moving just so they can be closer to Disney? :huh:

Kinglaser

Depends on how you want to make a living, like make sure you can do what you want here. Obviously Orlando has a lot, and im sure you canf ind what youre looking for.
Also, I dont remember where you currently are, but keep in mind the Florida climate, for lack of a better word, absolutely sucks. Cold in the winter (for at most a month) and hot from April-October.
But yeah I know this doesnt pertain to your question of Disney, but hopefully itll help lol
Do you want to work at Disney, by any chance?

I've lived all over Florida the majority of my life from north or south and visiting central Florida quite a lot. I'm a annual pass holder for WDW, at one point my family had all the parks and we visit quite often. I'm graduating college in August and my lease ends in September and I'm kinda in this weird place of trying to figure out what I really wanna do. And I won't lie to you working for Disney or at the least trying to has crossed my mind a million and one times. But I'll tell you what's stopping me...
- minimal friends. It's not making friends I feel like I'll have a problem with (I'm super social) it's the issue of meeting people after college is harder
- Orlando SUCKS (sorry for anybody who lives there) beaches too far away. It's humid with no breeze year round. Tourists all-the-time. Traffic all-the-time. I live in south Florida right now and it's no where near as horrible as Orlando.
- not liking it

I think what you personally need to consider on top of a job... And liking the weather is if you are gonna get homesick? If this is so far away from you, you won't have the luxury to go home all the time.
Plus with working a job you won't get to go to Disney as much as you probably hope you do. I have met people who lived in Orlando their whole lives and barely go to the parks.
Your boyfriend... sorry but "we're just gonna break up anyways" if you aren't happy maybe you should kinda figure that out now. I'm not relationship expert nor is anyone but from the way you said that it seems like you don't care. 4 years is a long time you should probably figure out where YOUR future leads to and not just throw it away for a dream. I hope that last bit doesn't offend you it's just my opinion since I feel like this thread is asking for my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kinglaser

I've lived all over Florida the majority of my life from north or south and visiting central Florida quite a lot. I'm a annual pass holder for WDW, at one point my family had all the parks and we visit quite often. I'm graduating college in August and my lease ends in September and I'm kinda in this weird place of trying to figure out what I really wanna do. And I won't lie to you working for Disney or at the least trying to has crossed my mind a million and one times. But I'll tell you what's stopping me...
- minimal friends. It's not making friends I feel like I'll have a problem with (I'm super social) it's the issue of meeting people after college is harder
- Orlando SUCKS (sorry for anybody who lives there) beaches too far away. It's humid with no breeze year round. Tourists all-the-time. Traffic all-the-time. I live in south Florida right now and it's no where near as horrible as Orlando.
- not liking it

I think what you personally need to consider on top of a job... And liking the weather is are you gonna get homesick? If this is so hard away from you, you won't have the luxury to go home all the time.
Plus with working a job you won't get to go to Disney as much as you probably hope you do. I have met people who lived in Orlando their whole lives and barely go to the parks.
Your boyfriend... sorry but "we're just gonna break up anyways" if you aren't happy maybe you should kinda figure that out now. I'm not relationship expert nor is anyone but from the way you said that it seems like you don't care. 4 years is a long time you should probably figure out where YOUR future leads to and not just throw it away for a dream. I hope that last bit doesn't offend you it's just my opinion since I feel like this thread is asking for my opinion.

I can vouch for the Orlando bit, Ive only lived there for two weeks and yeah its humid as crud and storms every day (but i mean it storms everyday everywhere in Florida during the summer so thats nothing unusual).

Not sure if this belonged in Disney Discussion or Off Topic, but whatever.

So I'm graduating college in December, and I'm seriously considering moving to Florida just so I can frequently visit Disney. Does anyone else think that's a bit extreme? Or that I should totally go for it? Also my boyfriend of 4 years doesn't want to live in Florida, so we'd probably break up if that's what I decided to do. But I mean why am I with someone who doesn't like Disney? I should move to Florida and find myself a man that's into Disney as much as I am!

Just wondering if anyone else has seriously thought of moving just so they can be closer to Disney? :huh:
I am feeling the same way right now! The only reason for me is Disney. I want to work for Disney!

Nnilak

Wow, thank you guys! I honestly didn't expect such thorough and detailed responses! I truly appreciate it!

Climate doesn't bother me much. I've lived my life being a military child so I've lived in basically any climate possible. My least favorite is snow and I think I'm in the clear there for Florida.
For jobs, I'm majoring in Design and plan on doing interior design, but I also can do graphic design. I never really planned on working for Disney, I kind of felt like working there may ruin some of the magic. Kind of like how people who work at McDonalds end up not eating McDonalds anymore. However, I am planning on applying for the Disney College Program and honestly wouldn't mind giving a shot at working for Disney, but it's defiantly not a dream of mine.

I'm in the same boat as you, BonVoyage, my lease is up in August/September. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do come graduation in December. The friends thing is not an issue for me, I've spent a lot of my life with no friends. Been in college for the last 4 years and haven't made any. In fact, I even believe being a frequent Disney go-er would land me friends. Honestly, the only thing that kind of made me cringe was the humidity, but like I stated above the climate isn't a big deal and I would probably get used to it eventually. Homesick is also no problem to me! However, my parents might have a difficult time with it. I'm about 2 hours away from them now and they complain we don't see each other enough haha. And for Orlando being a bad city, I don't necessarily need to live IN Orlando. I'd be more than happy living about an hour or two away or in it's suburbs.

As for the boyfriend thing, I just said that nonchalantly because I didn't expect such amazing responses from people. I was just kind of writing stuff. We have been spending the last couple of months seriously talking about our future together and if we want to continue in our relationship. There are some aspects of our relationship that I am a bit worried about spending the rest of my life with, but it is by no means "easy" to break up with him or that "I don't care" because I absolutely do and that is why it makes this decision so much harder. For me to tell him that my dream is to live in Florida and be one of "those people" that live, breath, and eat Disney and he says back that he doesn't want to live in Florida was for sure heartbreaking. And this is playing a huge role in my decision, because now I'm torn into wanting to follow my dream or wanting to continue my relationship.

For the longest time I have always seen those ladies that go to Disney at least 3 times a year, have a massive pin collection, know Disney like the back of their hands, and then introduce their children to Disney and just be one big happy Disney family. I have always been jealous of them and I've always wanted to be like those ladies.

Megara

no sleep club
I understand what you mean about the boyfriend thing. I currently live in Florida (and have all my life), and am an annual passholder at WDW. I love it, and my boyfriend (of 4 years as well) and I go frequently, but he's not as.... "obsessed" with Disney as I am, and it doesn't bother him if he isn't able to go. When he finishes college, he wants to eventually move to Utah, and it makes me feel uneasy because I'm not quite sure how things are going to end up at that point, or how I'd feel moving so far away from my home.

I wouldn't suggest living in Orlando, but if climate isn't a problem for you, then I think Florida in general would be a very enjoyable place. :) Disney is definitely worth it!

Last edited:

Myth

If you want to walk outside and be soaking from your own sweat after a few minutes go for it.
FL is toooo humid for me to live there. and Disney is so expensive. but if you can afford it and don't mind the heat then go for it.

Whispered

Just simply from a life standpoint, I would say yes, it is "crazy" to live somewhere solely for one thing. Especially when that one thing is something that will, inevitably, take time and money from you. If it's going to be the only reason you live in Florida, I'd say don't do it.

However, if you find a good job market, a good neighborhood, a nice climate, or those types of reasons to move there, then the Disney can be a deciding factor for you. Just don't make it the only one please. I don't want you to regret a move because it was made on an impulse based on Disney (although, it'd be great if we could guarantee decisions based on Disney could work).

@Nnilak Hi! Yes it is crazy but sometime you have to be crazy to achieve dreams. I don't know if this has been answered or not But Have you actually visited Orlando or any of the surrounding areas? Disney can be one of your the major reason to move to Florida but as it been said before it shouldn't be the only reason for you to move there.

At one point I considered doing interior design and searched interior design jobs in Florida, and I remember south Florida having a good job outlook for interior designers. That was a few years ago so it may have changed since. Maybe your boyfriend could look into that Southern Floridian lifestyle? He may enjoy it :grin:

Keep_Faythe

I live 20m from Disney and take it from someone who goes, ALL the time. Either forced or because it's all there is to do(my parents work there so I get in for free and get friends in for free whenever I want) I want nothing more than to move out of Florida. It's awful here.
Disney is great, but once you go ALL the time, it really gets old. I promise.