Bullying going on

And are you expecting everything in the world to be tailored to your own insecurities? This is a game. Everything that happens here is irrelevant. If you're letting it stress you that much, you shouldn't be playing.

I agree people shouldn't be "bullying", but it's only a "serious epidemic" because you let it be.
Actually, cyber-bullying isn't a serious epidemic because "I let it be". It's a serious epidemic because people, not just myself, have already contemplated suicide after how awful other people have made others feel on something that's "just a game." Just because it's a game doesn't mean it differs from sites such as Facebook or twitter. Cyber bullying happens there too. And people commit suicide because of cyber bullying on SOCIAL NETWORKS. that's what vmk is. A SOCIAL NETWORK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is, online, you are free to step back and escape your problems by logging off. Personally, being bullied myself in school all my life, I had to take action because I couldn't just choose not to go to school. Here, however, if someone is bothering you... you can literally ignore them so you don't have to see anything they say to you. You can walk away and you can choose what you want to see. I really hate bullying and I'm disappointed in everyone who partakes in the act, but you're not a victim unless you allow yourself to become one.

Actually, cyber-bullying isn't a serious epidemic because "I let it be". It's a serious epidemic because people, not just myself, have already contemplated suicide after how awful other people have made others feel on something that's "just a game." Just because it's a game doesn't mean it differs from sites such as Facebook or twitter. Cyber bullying happens there too. And people commit suicide because of cyber bullying on SOCIAL NETWORKS. that's what vmk is. A SOCIAL NETWORK.

Facebook - you generally know the people you've added in real life and actually have to deal with them in person on a daily basis
VMK - you probably know two people at most, rest of them are all internet friends 500+ miles away from you that'll you never have to deal with

Don't twist my words about cyber bullying.

edit:
The thing is, online, you are free to step back and escape your problems by logging off... I really hate bullying and I'm disappointed in everyone who partakes in the act, but you're not a victim unless you allow yourself to become one.

There you go. Nicer way of putting it.

Jasmine

The thing is, online, you are free to step back and escape your problems by logging off. Personally, being bullied myself in school all my life, I had to take action because I couldn't just choose not to go to school. Here, however, if someone is bothering you... you can literally ignore them so you don't have to see anything they say to you. You can walk away and you can choose what you want to see. I really hate bullying and I'm disappointed in everyone who partakes in the act, but you're not a victim unless you allow yourself to become one.
When I said that, people got mad lol.
I completely agree, though. This is so different, this is a game. I was bullied at school... You can't even compare those two situations.

Just because it's a different situation from school doesn't mean cyber-bullying doesn't have the same effect. DOES IT NOT BOTER ANYONE THAT SOMEONE - A PERSON YOU DONT EVEN FRICKEN KNOW - IS IT ABOUT TO TAKE THEIR OWN LIFE BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THAT SOMEONE ELSE SAID.
IM NOT EVEN SORRY FOR SAYING THIS BUT YOU ALL ARE IGNORANT. THE FACT THAT YOU SEEM TO THINK JUAT BECAUSE ITS A GAME SOMEBODY SHOULDN'T TAKE THEIR LIFE OVER WHATS SAID IS IGNORANT.
DO YOU NOT SEE HOW IGNORANT IT IS TO THINK THAT SOMEONE WONT COMMIT SUICIDE BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING HARASSED ONLINE BY SOMEONE THEY DONT KNOW.
IVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT MANY TIMES. IVE THOUGHT ABOUT COMMITTING SUICIDE BECAUSE IM GETTING BULLIED BOTH IRL AND ONLINE. DO YOU NOT SEE HOW THATS NOT OK?!?!
Just because YOU can turn of the computer and walk away does NOT mean someone else can do the same thing. I will repeat this quote because I feel it is absolutely relevant here:
Being skeptical that another person can be incapacitated by a mental illness because you cope just fine with your problems is the same as saying: "I don't understand why other people's brakes fail because my car works great."

can we stop blaming the victim and instead actually monitor the community? there is elitism, cliques, and other groups of the like and there are people who "bully" others.

Just because it's a different situation from school doesn't mean cyber-bullying doesn't have the same effect. DOES IT NOT BOTER ANYONE THAT SOMEONE - A PERSON YOU DONT EVEN FRICKEN KNOW - IS IT ABOUT TO TAKE THEIR OWN LIFE BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THAT SOMEONE ELSE SAID.
IM NOT EVEN SORRY FOR SAYING THIS BUT YOU ALL ARE IGNORANT. THE FACT THAT YOU SEEM TO THINK JUAT BECAUSE ITS A GAME SOMEBODY SHOULDN'T TAKE THEIR LIFE OVER WHATS SAID IS IGNORANT.
DO YOU NOT SEE HOW IGNORANT IT IS TO THINK THAT SOMEONE WONT COMMIT SUICIDE BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING HARASSED ONLINE BY SOMEONE THEY DONT KNOW.
IVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT MANY TIMES. IVE THOUGHT ABOUT COMMITTING SUICIDE BECAUSE IM GETTING BULLIED BOTH IRL AND ONLINE. DO YOU NOT SEE HOW THATS NOT OK?!?!
Just because YOU can turn of the computer and walk away does NOT mean someone else can do the same thing. I will repeat this quote because I feel it is absolutely relevant here:
Being skeptical that another person can be incapacitated by a mental illness because you cope just fine with your problems is the same as saying: "I don't understand why other people's brakes fail because my car works great."

In an extreme case such as this, when you are feeling any of these things, you need to seek professional help because I'm not exactly sure how to help you in this kind of situation. I personally do not tolerate bullying at all on these forums, and if it is brought to my attention, I take care of it. I'm sorry that you're affected by this and I understand that bullying hurts, a lot. I just feel you need to be able to take control of your own situation by getting help for yourself.

can we stop blaming the victim and instead actually monitor the community? there is elitism, cliques, and other groups of the like and there are people who "bully" others.
THANK YOU.

In an extreme case such as this, when you are feeling any of these things, you need to seek professional help because I'm not exactly sure how to help you in this kind of situation. I personally do not tolerate bullying at all on these forums, and if it is brought to my attention, I take care of it. I'm sorry that you're affected by this and I understand that bullying hurts, a lot. I just feel you need to be able to take control of your own situation by getting help for yourself.
I am getting the help I need, personally. & my bullies can make all kinds of jokes if they want.

However, there are others who are NOT getting help. There are others who have already TRIED committing suicide because of the cyber-bullying going on on the forums AND in a "game."

Just because YOU don't tolerate it in the FORUMS doesn't mean it isn't tolerated in the game.

Jasmine

I do love how you're always so apt to call people ignorant about bullying, suicide, and depression though, when you go on about bullying and name calling... You're not the only one to be depressed, bullied, or think about committing suicide. You'd be surprised how many people I've met from this community that have felt that way at one point or another. So yes... most of us do understand how you feel. You're not alone.

The fact is, everyone needs to learn to embrace the lovely "ignore" button, as it is there for a reason :).
If YOU cannot walk away, then that's an issue YOU need to work out. That has nothing to do with how the game is being run. I'm sorry the game hasn't turned out the way you expected it to be, but you're the one letting others ruin it for you. I am not denying that there is bullying in game, but YOU decide how you are going to deal with it.

Or in other words, Silhouette summed it up completely. You need to seek medical attention immediately if you fear that you may harm yourself. I'm sorry that you feel you've been harassed, but you really do need to get help and step away from the game for a while. I think it will truly do you some good. Good luck :)

I am getting help, thank you very much. I've already been hospitalized once after taking 200 pills trying to kill myself. I am getting the help I need, personally. & my bullies can make all kinds of jokes if they want. But i would rather spend two weeks in a hospital alive then dead or even in their presence.

However, there are others who are NOT getting help. There are others who have already TRIED committing suicide because of the cyber-bullying going on on the forums AND in a "game."

Just because YOU don't tolerate it in the FORUMS doesn't mean it isn't tolerated in the game.

I can't speak for the in-game moderators, as I'm not one myself, but I am certain that they do not tolerate it either. If it's being reported, I'm not sure why it's not being taken care of and I'm truly sorry for that. I'd do more to help if I could.

i've seen people comment that this game is a haven for them in a life where they don't have much else, so i do not see how it's anyone's fault for logging. i don't care how much you were bullied, it doesn't make it right to blame the victim in this scenario. just because you are fortunate enough to have the option to log off and tune out, doesn't mean that other people do. i'm incredibly confused as to how a moderator is talking about how the victims should learn how to avoid bullies instead of taking care of the bullies themselves. sil, you are doing the right thing by taking care of bullying on the forums, but tell people to exercise the ignore button, don't tell them that they don't have to be a victim. you have good intentions, but please word it in a way that isn't so demeaning.

I can't speak for the in-game moderators, as I'm not one myself, but I am certain that they do not tolerate it either. If it's being reported, I'm not sure why it's not being taken care of and I'm truly sorry for that. I'd do more to help if I could.
It hasn't been dealt with at all. I've taken screenshots and everything. I know you can't speak for the in-game moderators and I'm not directly attacking anyone in this post. What I'm trying to get across is that people think it's so easy to just log out and not play the game. Why should I have to jeapordize my in game experience/life because people decide its okay to cyber-bully me? Why should *I* be the one who can't play the game wen I'm not ruining the experience for anyone else? Since in game moderators are not taking care of harassment why is it MY fault that I'm being harassed because I choose to log in?v

i've seen people comment that this game is a haven for them in a life where they don't have much else, so i do not see how it's anyone's fault for logging. i don't care how much you were bullied, it doesn't make it right to blame the victim in this scenario. just because you are fortunate enough to have the option to log off and tune out, doesn't mean that other people do. i'm incredibly confused as to how a moderator is talking about how the victims should learn how to avoid bullies instead of taking care of the bullies themselves.
Again, as I cannot personally do anything in-game about this, as that is not my jurisdiction, I am only attempting to give tips that have personally helped me when dealing with bullies. I'm sorry if that upsets anyone or came across as blaming the victims.

EDIT: Sorry that I am not able to word this in an acceptable way for you guys. I'll leave it at this.

Again, as I cannot personally do anything in-game about this, as that is not my jurisdiction, I am only attempting to give tips that have personally helped me when dealing with bullies. I'm sorry if that upsets anyone or came across as blaming the victims.
*i added this to my post after

"sil, you are doing the right thing by taking care of bullying on the forums, but tell people to exercise the ignore button, don't tell them that they don't have to be a victim. obviously you have good intentions, but please word it in a way that isn't so demeaning."

It hasn't been dealt with at all. I've taken screenshots and everything. I know you can't speak for the in-game moderators and I'm not directly attacking anyone in this post. What I'm trying to get across is that people think it's so easy to just log out and not play the game. Why should I have to jeapordize my in game experience/life because people decide its okay to cyber-bully me? Why should *I* be the one who can't play the game wen I'm not ruining the experience for anyone else? Since in game moderators are not taking care of harassment why is it MY fault that I'm being harassed because I choose to log in?v

Kash, if you are this seriously bullied on the game, to the point where you want to end your life, the game isn't very fun for you anymore. Your life isn't worth losing or harming for a game.

In sociology, there is a thing called "blaming the victim" which a majority of people here are doing. It's obviously their fault for waking up and logging onto a game they don't expect to be bullied and harassed on. Clearly, it's their own darn fault. Why blame the victim for trying to enjoy a game they would like to play? Shouldn't blame the people harassing them. They're just going about their day, spewing hatred, rudeness, and anger. Nope. Not their fault. Not at all. It's the victim's fault for logging on, isn't it?

Goodness.

I do love how you're always so apt to call people ignorant about bullying, suicide, and depression though, when you go on about bullying and name calling... You're not the only one to be depressed, bullied, or think about committing suicide. You'd be surprised how many people I've met from this community that have felt that way at one point or another. So yes... most of us do understand how you feel. You're not alone.

The fact is, everyone needs to learn to embrace the lovely "ignore" button, as it is there for a reason :).
If YOU cannot walk away, then that's an issue YOU need to work out. That has nothing to do with how the game is being run. I'm sorry the game hasn't turned out the way you expected it to be, but you're the one letting others ruin it for you. I am not denying that there is bullying in game, but YOU decide how you are going to deal with it.

Or in other words, Silhouette summed it up completely. You need to seek medical attention immediately if you fear that you may harm yourself. I'm sorry that you feel you've been harassed, but you really do need to get help and step away from the game for a while. I think it will truly do you some good. Good luck :)
I never said I was the only who'd deals with any of those mental illnesses. If you've noticed I posted because there are other people who do NOT get help.
And just an FYI, I am getting help tyvm.
Just because I call you ignorant doesn't mean I'm bullying or name-calling you. It means I'm calling you out for not seeing that OTHER PEOPLE, NOT JUST MYSELF, can't log off the game like you can. You're ignorant because you can't see that I'm not you. I don't have the same response mechanisms that you or anyone else does for that matter. I can't react to a situation the same way you can because I'm NOT YOU.

Being ignorant means you aren't gonna see something someone else's way because you haven't experienced life or a situation the same way another has. Heck, if you really want to get specific, I guess I'm pretty ignorant of your view point too.

In sociology, there is a thing called "blaming the victim" which a majority of people here are doing. It's obviously their fault for waking up and logging onto a game they don't expect to be bullied and harassed on. Clearly, it's their own darn fault. Why blame the victim for trying to enjoy a game they would like to play? Shouldn't blame the people harassing them. They're just going about their day, spewing hatred, rudeness, and anger. Nope. Not their fault. Not at all. It's the victim's fault for logging on, isn't it?

Goodness.
I 1000% back this up and agree.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ

Goodness.
Literally I praise you for this. :halcyon:

I'm not siding with anybody, but I do see people blame the victim and use these excuses every time someone comes out and says they're bullied.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I completely agree with all of that.

However, the thing is, it's a two-way street. I have decided to stop interacting with some players and leave them alone. But, like I said, a two-way street means the other players have to comply. I have been in a room, minding my own business and leaving players who I do not get alone with alone, and there they are talking about me right in front of my face. Calling me an "it", telling me they want me to "kindly go away", and all this other stuff.
You would think players who both acknowledge they can't get along would not say anything to another player; let alone say anything to try and start a fight.

The fact is: player harassments are NOT being taken care of and that's why players feel so entitled to say whatever they want to someone else in the game.

This is true. I agree it's a two way street. I know from experience these things aren't always handled. I've reported someone and ignored them only to be told by staff to ignore them and leave the room.

I did, they followed me. I guess the best way to avoid it is grow a tough skin and not let anything they say hurt you. I've been called incredibly horrible things, I choose to ignore it so it doesn't effect me. I know none of what is said is true, and I don't let any of what they say get under my skin.

But I know there are others out there that don't know what is said about them isn't true, because they have deep problems. But it's at that point where you take a step back, and leave for a while.

Sometimes a breath of fresh air is best.

Literally I praise you for this. :halcyon:

I'm not siding with anybody, but I do see people blame the victim and use these excuses every time someone comes out and says they're bullied.
I've seen it as well, and I completely agree with you both.

Blaming the victim is as heinous as what was already done to that person. Can you imagine how that feels? You're already consistently targeted, and then on top of it, you seek solace in others only to be blamed for what was done to you.

It's awful. It truly is.